• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Blessings Old School

I don't get this at all.......I don't get the point or the case......

"God says, 'I don’t care what you believe, how you worship, etc. Just be good.'

What,where is that Written????God most certainly cares what we believe in...

King James Bible

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.                                                                           John 14:1

Our Salvation by Gods Grace is given us by what we believe in,,,,,our Faith in the knowledge of Who Jesus IS.............

"As long as you love your neighbor you are being good"...................Where do they come up with this stuff?So as long as I love my neighbor I can rob a convenience store or cheat the IRS? Huh?

Uhh,I guess this is extreme liberal thinking                                                                        With love-in Christ,Kwik

It is very clear that the article is being critical of these views and liberals in general.

In regards to beliefs most christian beliefs do not matter. As long as you believe in the essentials which are very few in number then no problem. There is nothing in the bible that says we will not get to heaven if our doctrine is not 100% correct. I doubt the thief on the cross had all correct doctrine. Christians love to make things complicated when it is not that difficult. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

You said it was about "avoiding nonexistence."    That's not it at all. From a Christian perspective  It's about a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.   You are going to exist forever.   There is no nonexistence.   When you die and step into eternity, you take nothing with you except the decision you made for or against Jesus and you will be judged on that basis.  There will no argument, no debate, no chance for anyone to make their case.

But heaven isn't the goal for us.   It is the byproduct of the goal.  The goal is to know God and to be in right relationship with Him.

Although we need to be careful to not suggest that once we make a decision thats all we have to do. When we are saved we must do good works that were prepared for us to do. Those works obviously do not save but they indicate our faith is genuine. If we just make a decision then spend the next forty years being greedy and ignoring God then we will not be saved. Sadly because the church got caught up in works and selling forgiveness people are so frightened to speak the truth in case people think they are preaching salvation by works that many have forgotten the truth.

Guest shiloh357

If you really believed that, another poster, you would not support gay marriage.   There is no reason to preach the truth, unless your life is consistent with that truth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

*As Kwik has said, it is not the pastor's job to feed the flock.* 

Sorry to see that you have failed to present what Scripture clearly teaches.  It is indeed the job of the pastor not only to feed the flock but to warn the flock againts wolves, and to take oversight over the spiritual welfare of the flock.  I am surprised to see that even mature Christians do not believe (or do not know) what is clearly taught in Scripture (Acts 20:17-18, 28-31):

And from Miletus he (Paul) sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church. And when they were come to him, he said unto them...Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.  For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.  Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Elders are shepherds (pastors), and pastors are elders, and their job description is given above (see also 1 Pet 5:1-4 where they are commanded to feed the flock and to take oversight).

Guest shiloh357

The reason we have so much false doctrine is because people depend on what the pastor preaches to be their spiritual nourishment for the week.   The pastor's job is to warn and equip the saints for ministry.  Your spiritual nourishment comes from the Lord not the pastor.

I should clarify...   The pastor is not responsible for being the sole source for the spiritual nourishment of the saints.   The problem has been that people go to church and expect that what they receive from their pastor is all they need.  That is unscriptural.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings,,,,,,,

Amen Shiloh,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm sorry Ezra,because your interpretation of the Scriptures is what it is & you seem to have an unteachable spirit(imo),,,,,,I see no need to carry on this conversation........God Bless you ,                            With love in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Blessings,,,,,,,

Amen Shiloh,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm sorry Ezra,because your interpretation of the Scriptures is what it is & you seem to have an unteachable spirit(imo),,,,,,I see no need to carry on this conversation........God Bless you ,                            With love in Christ,Kwik

Kwik,

It's not "my interpretation" of Scripture, but Scripture itself (which needs no further interpretation) which has been presented. And it is not I who should be teachable, but those who dismiss Scripture as irrelevant. 

I will say it again on the authority of the Word of God.  Pastors (who are elders) are responsible to feed the flock, to warn the flock, and to take oversight (care for the souls and spiritual wellbeing of the flock).  Since you had never heard of theological liberalism, those who were supposed to be warning you had failed in their responsibility, and you should have frankly acknowledged that. 

And the only reason so many curches today are going down the road of apostasy is because their pastors are failing them miserably.  It is high time that spiritual leaders be held accountable for what is happening in Christendom, and pastors become true shepherds rather than "hirelings".

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Blessings,,,,,,,

Kwik,

It's not "my interpretation" of Scripture, but Scripture itself (which needs no further interpretation) which has been presented. And it is not I who should be teachable, but those who dismiss Scripture as irrelevant. 

I will say it again on the authority of the Word of God.  Pastors (who are elders) are responsible to feed the flock, to warn the flock, and to take oversight (care for the souls and spiritual wellbeing of the flock).  Since you had never heard of theological liberalism, those who were supposed to be warning you had failed in their responsibility, and you should have frankly acknowledged that. 

And the only reason so many curches today are going down the road of apostasy is because their pastors are failing them miserably.  It is high time that spiritual leaders be held accountable for what is happening in Christendom, and pastors become true shepherds rather than "hirelings".

I don't know of any perfect people. (Of course Jesus is perfect). I don't know of any perfect pastors.

I used to be very frustrated with Pastors because I could see errors. During that time in my life, I thought the pastors were failing miserably, and if only pastors would step up and pastor the way they should, the church would be oh so much better, and mature, etc.

One time I was reading the book of Revelation, where it addresses the various churches. I saw the question to the church, why do you tolerate Jezebel to teach? The book is not addressing the pastor only. We all are commanded to judge teachings as well as prophesy. If us poor sheep laity would step up and judge teachings, well, the pastors job becomes a bit harder, but also, those who are bad teachers and pastors would no longer have a laity. If they lose their following, they no longer have a pulpit. Bad/false teachers only have a pulpit if they have a following to support them. The fault lands on not just the false pastor, but also on real born again laity who fail to judge whether a teaching is true or false. Jezebel wouldn't have an audience to speak to, if the audience won't hear her.    

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/02/1974

Oldschool. I admit I'm responding without having read all the responses to this thread, I apologize for my laziness.

You seem to be Catholic. Yes? My dad's side of the family is Catholic, but my parents divorced when I was 5. I was never raised in the Church, but I came to know about Catholicism later in life (in my 30's when I finally realized that there is a God and He is the God of the Bible). Grandpa was a Polish catholic, he (literally) died staring at the framed picture of the Pope on his TV. I'm still not Catholic but I recognize Catholicism.

Anyway...If I understand you corectly...you're saying that to reduce God's Will to a simple matter of relative moral principles is the same thing as having no morality at all (in practice). If that's what you mean I couldn't agree with you more. 1,000% approval, there.

1) There is a God

2) I, and nobody I've ever met (or will meet), is Him

3) God is the Creator of everything physically, spiritually, and morally: His Will is Law (truth) regardless of our personal perspective

4) There is a Truth that remains true regardless of any human perspective

Morality is "objectified" by the Creator of everything (God), it isn't "subject" to the will and/or circumstance of any of His creations.

If this is what you're saying...I tell you, once more, I agree 1,000%.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

... Anyway...If I understand you corectly...you're saying that to reduce God's Will to a simple matter of relative moral principles is the same thing as having no morality at all (in practice). If that's what you mean I couldn't agree with you more....

You're actually agreeing with David Carlin, the article's author, who is a professor of sociology and philosophy at the Community College of Rhode Island at Newport.