• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone, 

I recently moved to a new city for work and I have been attending this church for quite some time and I help them with the music by playing the piano. Every week they have practice for 2 hours but they spend the whole first hour praying!

It annoys me because in my heart I feel like we're there to practice to sing and play well for the lord during practice and on Sunday's, but we're spending half of practice time praying to God. Trust me, I love prayer, I pray whenever I have a chance to but I believe that there's a time and place for everything and taking up half of MUSIC practice to pray is a bit ridiculous and overboard. We pray asking God to bless our voices and bless the music and yada yada yada but then when it comes to practice, we rush everything because time is running out. I don't feel like it's right. I feel as though if you're going to do something for the lord you should do it right and do it to the best of your ability and if you only have 2 hours to make it right that week then I believe you should utilize most of the time instead of half. 

My dad always told me that Faith without action is meaningless. How can we ask God to bless our voices and the music if we don't even take the time to practice? How can we ask God for us to do our best when we rush through every song because of time constraints?

Idk, I may be wrong but I believe that the devil can take something that can be good and use it for evil and I believe that prayer is distracting us from the main goal of us being there. Am I wrong? If so please tell me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

No there is never such a thing as too much prayer.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I agree that there is no such thing as too much prayer....however..if it is practice for singing..one should practice singing. If it is a prayer meeting..pray. Can you tactfully suggest that singing glorifies God and you need to make certain that you are in good form on Sunday and that is why you are there and if prayer is needed then each week a different person pray before practice then the rest of the time should be devoted to music..to honour God.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Depends on how they're doing it. If it is just repeating over and over the same prayers, and the same words, and the same meanings, then it might be the kind of prayer Jesus said not to do.

Matthew 6:

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

But then, since it is your spirit, if your heart is not in it, then don't follow along either - don't just pray vainly - if you pray, you should mean it.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

My dad always told me that Faith without action is meaningless. How can we ask God to bless our voices and the music if we don't even take the time to practice?

Good point.  Brief prayers can be just as effective as lengthy prayers (if not more so), and the ones shown in Scripture are usually brief.  Some of the Lord's prayers were just a few words.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:13

Amen.  :thumbsup:

God wants us to pray before we do anything, not just when the going gets tough.

Our prayer should be ,

Dear God, please guide me as I walk through this life. Help me not to act only by my own wisdom, but to seek Your will in every situation. Amen. 

"Don’t pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord and keep it. A man is powerful on his knees." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/09/1987

sometimes pray can be just as effective or even more than practice. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Hello everyone, 

I recently moved to a new city for work and I have been attending this church for quite some time and I help them with the music by playing the piano. Every week they have practice for 2 hours but they spend the whole first hour praying!

It annoys me because in my heart I feel like we're there to practice to sing and play well for the lord during practice and on Sunday's, but we're spending half of practice time praying to God. Trust me, I love prayer, I pray whenever I have a chance to but I believe that there's a time and place for everything and taking up half of MUSIC practice to pray is a bit ridiculous and overboard. We pray asking God to bless our voices and bless the music and yada yada yada but then when it comes to practice, we rush everything because time is running out. I don't feel like it's right. I feel as though if you're going to do something for the lord you should do it right and do it to the best of your ability and if you only have 2 hours to make it right that week then I believe you should utilize most of the time instead of half. 

My dad always told me that Faith without action is meaningless. How can we ask God to bless our voices and the music if we don't even take the time to practice? How can we ask God for us to do our best when we rush through every song because of time constraints?

Idk, I may be wrong but I believe that the devil can take something that can be good and use it for evil and I believe that prayer is distracting us from the main goal of us being there. Am I wrong? If so please tell me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

That depends on what you want. Do you want the worship music to entertain people by how well it's executed or do you want the worship to carry God's presence presence and change people?

I've seen very well executed worship, timely, everything sounded amazing, and it was professionally executed but lacked something. For some reason it was a struggle to really enter into worship. Other times, I've seen worship, where the worship leader is on stage worshiping the Lord with all his heart and there is a presence that is in the room with it. It causes people to be more aware of God and I've seen many people run up to give their lives to the Lord because of the music alone. They encountered God through the music.The difference between the two is one was performing for the audience, the other was worshiping and connecting with God through the music.

What are you after? If you want to lead people into an encounter with God through music, prayer is more necessary than practice.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/31/1983

"Prayer can change your Luck"........I totally agree with these golden words :)