• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-man-lands-gyrocopter-on-capitol-lawn/

Florida resident Doug Hughes flew his gyrocopter to Washington, D.C. and landed it on the west front lawn of the Capitol building on Wednesday.

He reportedly flew the contraption to Washington to compel lawmakers to pay attention to the issue of campaign finance reform. So far, his stunt has drawn the attention of Capitol Police, who responded to the scene and apprehended Hughes.

"The U.S. Capitol Police continues to investigate with one person detained and temporary street closures in the immediate area," the Capitol Police said in a statement.

Hughes, who works as a mailman, flew to Washington with 535 two-page letters for each member of Congress, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

"I'm demanding reform and declaring a voter's rebellion in a manner consistent with Jefferson's description of rights in the Declaration of Independence," Hughes wrote. "As a member of Congress, you have three options. 1. You may pretend corruption does not exist. 2. You may pretend to oppose corruption while you sabotage reform. 3. You may actively participate in real reform."

Hughes told the Times that the U.S. Secret Service questioned him last year about his plans. Even so, he was willing to violate the law and fly his vehicle to the Capitol for his cause.

"I don't believe that the authorities are going to shoot down a 61-year-old mailman in a flying bicycle," he said. "I don't have any defense, okay, but I don't believe that anybody wants to personally take responsibility for the fallout."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,705
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

curious how he managed to get to the lawn without being shot down, were all the SAM operators and fighter pilots to busy laughing at his stupidity to blow him to smitherines?

:24:

Maybe they couldn't see because of the tears of laughter in their eyes, or perhaps using a missle on a "flying bicycle" might be a waste . . . but the guy did get some people's attention. Gotta give 'im that. Besides, he's 61 and probably has enough money that it won't matter much if he spends a bit of time in jail.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

We can't have SS shooting down every aircraft that violates DC's restricted airspace.  Accidents and incidents happen.  I am glad our SS saw it as a minimal threat aircraft and made the right decision by letting it land on the lawn.  Imagine how many people would have been hurt if that had been shot out of the sky, or if the missile had missed.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,083
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I haven't seen where it was, but from what I read it didn't get very close to the buildings...

I agree that shooting anything in the air around the capitol complex is dangerous for it has to come down somewhere and the whole place is full of people.

Dangerous yes, but for our country to lose the president because the as failed to shoot down a gyrocopter loaded with explosives. It would be disastrous, not only for us but the world economy. Previous administrations wouldve done it in a heart beat

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Dangerous yes, but for our country to lose the president because the as failed to shoot down a gyrocopter loaded with explosives. It would be disastrous, not only for us but the world economy. Previous administrations wouldve done it in a heart beat

Maybe the secret service was willing to let that happen. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

To me it was obvious that the Secret Service did not detect the flight in real time.  They knew he was planning the trip, but he flew under the radar actual capabilities, which is reported to be 40 feet.  I don't accept that they did not shoot him down because they determined him to be a non-threat.  If so, why did they send a robot to the copter to examine it and why was it necessary for a person a bomb suit to approach the machine?  

I agree jail time is necessary for this fellow.  But once served and he gets out, he should be awarded some kind of medal for exposing a weak point in our defense.  And it would only be appropriate if the President was forced to pin it on him.     :lightbulb2:    

Guest shiloh357

The Secret Service head  needs to be fired.   If it can be shown that any agents on duty were derelict, they should be fired too.

I hate to say it, but if they had been on the ball, that man would have been shot down.   That's their job.  They are not hired to be compassionate.  They are hired to protect the president at any cost.