IGNORED

Contemplative Prayer - False Doctrine

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

Anyone familiar with the false teaching/practice of Contemplative prayer/worship?  It's also called "centering prayer."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Haven't heard of it, but from the wording it sounds like meditation type stuff.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Anyone familiar with the false teaching/practice of Contemplative prayer/worship?  It's also called "centering prayer."

You could check this out for more information:

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/contemplative_spirituality_dancing_with_demons.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I am not familiar with it, and in googling it I find so much gobeldegook that I am not sure what you are referring to.   Some of what I read sounded beneficial, but since I know little about it I don't know how far people have taken it.   I can see that it has the potential to connect one with the devil instead of God.

I managed that all by myself and didn't need some special form of prayer.......   just a Ouija board.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

You could check this out for more information:

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/contemplative_spirituality_dancing_with_demons.html

Anything with the word "mysticism" in the title is verboten to me!

Guest shiloh357

Yes, it is based on eastern mysticism.    The book "Jesus Calling" is based on this.   If you have that book, destroy it.   Sarah Young admitted in earlier editions of Jesus Calling that she was inspired by two women who wrote "God calling" back in the 1930s.  They were channeling a spirit called "the living Christ"  and were writing down that spirit's messages.  In New Age speak, "Christ"  is not a reference to Jesus.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

There is a set of things popular in Christianity right now called 'Spiritual Disciplines'. Contemplative Prayer is one of the disciplines. I don't have the book I read on it with me right now, but will pull it out when I get home. I read the book, and tried to find some redeeming value in the Spiritual Disciplines. If I remember accurately, I found only 1 ok, and 1 I could rationalize if I really tried hard. The rest, well, .... not so good.   

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Apparently it is becoming popular in the emerging church movement.It is an exercise where a person focuses on a word and then repeats it over and over.It is to clear a person's mind of outside concerns so that God's voice can be heard.After the prayer the person is suppose to sit still and listen for guidance from God and feel His presence.It is similar to meditative exercises used in Eastern religions and new age cults.It should definitely be avoided.

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Contemplative prayer sounds so innocuous as a phrase does it not? If I had not been told what it means I would have said I contemplate when I pray at times. i contemplate my motives, if I am praying in the Spirit or by rote, etc.

Not the same thing...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Yes, it is based on eastern mysticism.    The book "Jesus Calling" is based on this.   If you have that book, destroy it.   Sarah Young admitted in earlier editions of Jesus Calling that she was inspired by two women who wrote "God calling" back in the 1930s.  They were channeling a spirit called "the living Christ"  and were writing down that spirit's messages.  In New Age speak, "Christ"  is not a reference to Jesus.

And so many people I know of seem to think sara young is the greatest Christian author in years. Despite my warnings they continue to read her books.

Do you have a link online about her admission that she was inspired by that new age type book? I would love to post it on the thread that was here not long ago asking about her book.