• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1866

So, does God actually forgive may sound like a strange question. Scripture indicates that he does. But really, is it not true that God only forgives after he has punished sin?. So really he doesn't out and out forgive the sin he actually punishes it first.

So really, are our sins forgiven? In a sense no, they are punished upon Jesus so that the punishment does not have to go on us.

Maybe that makes no sense, that's the best I can explain for now. If someone can help me out would be appreciated.

S

Jesus suffered the punishment for all our (everyone's) sins on the Cross. All one has to do is accept His Sacrifice to receive GOD's forgiveness. After we are saved, we must ask for forgiveness of our sins in order to maintain our relationship with GOD, but for the Believer, not doing so only keeps GOD from blessing us - it does not condemn us.

Guest LadyC

forgiveness from God occurs at the moment one asks forgiveness. 

but forgiveness does not exempt us from the (earthly) consequences of our actions.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

2Co_5:19  To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 

Joh_12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world

Col_2:14  Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

Heb_6:6  If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. 

All sin of the World had been fixed and the punishment we deserved laid on Jesus at the Cross. There is no more Punishment for sin in this life, but only judgement to come for not accepting the sacrifice God gave the World. 

When we sin, we have an advocate with the Father. 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 
(1Jn 1:9)

God is faithful to forgive, based on the sacrifice that was made, and restore back our right standing with him. 

So, Jesus is not getting punished again, He already did that once. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Hi noname and welcome to Worthy..

First thing, God loves you.  As the Bible says He chastises those He loves, like a loving parent would so we don't make the same mistake twice.

Jesus died on that cross for our sins.  When we ask Christ into our hearts our sins are covered by that blood He shed.  

God gave man free will.  We either make a wrong choice or we make a right one. But when you allow Jesus to live inside you and you listen to His voice, read His Word you will begin to see how to make the right decisions.  

Remember this, God is the God of second chances and He will always give you a second chance even if it's for the one hundredth time.

Because He Lives!!

RustyAngeL 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

So, does God actually forgive may sound like a strange question. Scripture indicates that he does. But really, is it not true that God only forgives after he has punished sin?. So really he doesn't out and out forgive the sin he actually punishes it first.

In order to understand God's forgiving of sins, we need to first understand the character of God.  On one hand He is absolutely holy, which means that neither sin nor sinner can enter into His very presence.  On the other hand He is absolutely righteous and just, which means that every sin requires a penalty and the ultimate penalty is the death penalty.  Yet on the other hand God is full of grace and mercy, and He takes no pleasure in the death of sinners. Yet again, God desires to have fellowship with sinners, therefore their sins must be first forgiven.

Therefore God has made full provision for dealing with the sins of the world in and through Christ.  Christ was made Sin for us, and He also took away the Sin of the world.  Therefore when a sinner comes to God confessing his sins and asking for forgiveness, every aspect of God's character is fully satisfied, and He does indeed forgive all our sins.  But we must turn away from sins and idols (repent).  So to answer your question, the forgiveness is very real, but it came at a price -- the offering up of the Son of God as our Substitute.

Thank you everyone for you input

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

nonamenight88 said in post 1:

. . . they are punished upon Jesus so that the punishment does not have to go on us.

That's right, if you change the "are punished on Jesus" to "were punished on Jesus".

Also, Jesus' suffering during his Passion was sufficient to forgive the sins of everyone (1 John 2:2), because Jesus isn't just a human, but also God (John 1:1,14, John 10:30, John 20:28). His soul is infinite, and so the suffering of his soul (Isaiah 53:11) was infinite in amount, even though it wasn't infinite in duration. And so his suffering could satisfy God the Father's justice (Isaiah 53:11, KJV; 1 Peter 3:18), which requires an infinite amount of human suffering for sin (Matthew 25:46). Because humans who aren't God have finite souls, for them to suffer an infinite amount for their sins, they must suffer over an infinite duration of time (Matthew 25:46, Revelation 14:10-11, Mark 9:46).

Every human has sinned (Romans 3:23), except Jesus (Hebrews 4:15b; 2 Corinthians 5:21). But because Jesus suffered for sins (1 Peter 3:18, Isaiah 53:11) an infinite amount, when the elect repent from their sins and believe in Jesus' human/divine sacrifice, they can have their past sins forgiven (Romans 3:25-26, Matthew 26:28), while God the Father's justice remains fully satisfied by Jesus' suffering for their sins (Isaiah 53:11, KJV; 1 Peter 3:18).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

2Co_5:19  To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 

Joh_12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world

Col_2:14  Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

Heb_6:6  If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. 

All sin of the World had been fixed and the punishment we deserved laid on Jesus at the Cross. There is no more Punishment for sin in this life, but only judgement to come for not accepting the sacrifice God gave the World. 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

God is faithful to forgive, based on the sacrifice that was made, and restore back our right standing with him. 

Amen By Faith!

Thanks to everyone who has responded to me. You have been a great help. I think now I have a good understanding of this.

Thank you