• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

According to the commentary in the bible I am reading, he says the 7 seals happen during the great tribulation. Do you believe this? Why or why not?

Thanks. He is also a pretribber, but that is for another thread of course.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I disagree, and this is why.  The great tribulation does not appear to cover the entire seven year period to me.  I believe the seals will start at the beginning, not at the halfway point, that is how scripture reads to me anyway.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  155
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I do not believe that all seven seals are opened during the great tribulation.

The following verses from Matthew, Chapter 24 (when compared with Revelation 6:12-14) imply that the 6th seal is opened after the great tribulation period.

Matthew 24:15.  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Matthew 24:21.  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Matthew 24:29.  Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Revelation 6:12. And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13. And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth
, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

The 7th seal will most likely be opened after the 6th.  My point being that the 6th and the 7th seals are opened after the great tribulation period has ended.

As for when the first four seals are opened; I do not believe we can say for certain.

The 5th seal appears to be opened during the great tribulation period; but that is not certain either..

9.  And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
 10.  And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
 11.  And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Jeff

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

What is your definition of the "great tribulation"?  When does it start and when does it end...according to scripture?  We really need to establish that first I think.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

tribulation_map.jpg

There is 7 years to the tribulation.The last half of the tribulation which is 3 1/2 years is called the "Great tribulation" because it will be devastating Matthew 24:21.I believe this because this is what the Bible tells me.That is what we are supposed to do as a Christian.

Thanks for this question Pamela it is a good one.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

According to the commentary in the bible I am reading, he says the 7 seals happen during the great tribulation. Do you believe this? Why or why not?

As indicated in the book of Revelation, "the things which shall be hereafter" began immediately, and the first five seals became operational since about the end of the first century.  They include the events called "the beginning of sorrows" in the Olivet Discourse (Mt 24).

Only the 6th and 7th seals remain to be opened during the Tribulation period, and the seven trumpets denote the events of the Great Tribulation.  According to the Olivet Discourse, the events of the 6th seal follow those of the 7th seal.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

I do not believe that all seven seals are opened during the great tribulation.

The following verses from Matthew, Chapter 24 (when compared with Revelation 6:12-14) imply that the 6th seal is opened after the great tribulation period.

Matthew 24:15.  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Matthew 24:21.  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Matthew 24:29.  Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Revelation 6:12. And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13. And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

The 7th seal will most likely be opened after the 6th.  My point being that the 6th and the 7th seals are opened after the great tribulation period has ended.

As for when the first four seals are opened; I do not believe we can say for certain.

The 5th seal appears to be opened during the great tribulation period; but that is not certain either..

9.  And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10.  And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11.  And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Jeff

I see the "great tribulation" defined the same way.  It begins when the abomination of desolation is set up and ends at the 6th seal.

“Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand)....For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.  Matthew 24:15,21

But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.  Matthew 24:29

Based on that definition I would likewise say that only the 5th seal is opened during the great tribulation.

I can't find where the Bible identifies any other specific time duration as either "the tribulation" or "the great tribulation".

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

There are going to be several interpretations on here about when what is going to happen.We have pre-trib,mid-trib,Post-trib.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

Hi Parmelasv

No the 7 seals do not happen during the great tribulation. The Great tribulation are from seals 5 onwards.

Why I believe this is because;

The 4th seal has yet to arrive.  This is the False Prophet to come, and with him is the beast with 10 kings (end time kingdom)

Revelation 6:8   And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

This 4th seal leads up to the Great Tribulation, so this one and the seals before it cannot be included, but are only the beginning of sorrows - the lead up.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

I do not believe this. I actually now believe the seals are not even in Daniel's 70th week.

Let me add this, you really have to get your definitions right first because many people are not talking about the same thing.

My definitions:

Great trib begins after the abomination of desolation, which is 3.5 years into Daniel's 70th week.

Daniel's 70 th week- last seven years before Christ returns. I believe it begins with some peace treaty of some sort.

Tribulation period- not sure about this. I don't think it necessarily has to be the first 3.5 years of Daniel's 70th week.