• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,111
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Hi shiloh357,

I believe that when Jesus spoke of the Temple, (rebuilt) then He used `heiron,` while the Apostle Paul could have also, but he used the word `naos,` to show the difference.

Also, have you noted that the temple in the tribulation (Rev. 11: 1 & 2) is also referred to as `naos.` (Naos - a fane, a shrine, temple Not words to describe the Temple on Mt Moriah)

... I have an `Analytical Concordance by R. Young,` which has those scriptures using `hieron` in a group & those scriptures using `naos,` in a group. Thus it is quite easy to see the difference. As far as I can see Jesus used the word `hieron` to refer to the temple on Mt. Moriah, as it was the sacred priestly edifice. The word `naos` can mean the `inner sancturary` (as well as temples elsewhere) which it was used for at times, but I don`t see Jesus using it for the whole temple area, for He said `hieron.`

`Then Jesus went out & departed from the temple (hieron), & His disciples came to show Him the buildings of the temple, (hieron).(Matt. 24: 1)

While the apostle Paul specifically, (by the Holy Spirit) uses the word `naos.`

`...the son of perdition, who opposes & exalts himself above all that is God or that is worshipped, so that he sits as God in the temple (naos) of God, showing himself that he is God.` (2 Thess. 2: 3 & 4)

I am sorry  Marilyn, but you are simply wrong.   I have shown Scriptures where naos is used for the temple on the temple mount.   That trumps any argument you could make that says naos is not referencing the temple.

Your argument simply  doesn't hold water.   Naos is not used only one way.  Word usage trumps word meaning.   That's a simple rule of hermeneutics.

No, shiloh357, you are simply wrong. Each of the Scriptures you used actually quite logically refer to the Temple sanctuary = naos, the building/shrine which housed what were called the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place. The heiron included the naos, but also the whole temple complex, including the altar of sacrifice, and the courts of the priests, of Israel, of the women, etc. Jesus never was said to have taught in the naos, only the heiron. But Judas threw the 30 pieces of silver into the naos, thus defiling the Holy Place (= the abomination of desolation of that age).

Jesus, in Matt. 24:15, when prophesying the Abomination of Desolation, said specifically that it would/will stand in the Holy Place/topo hagio, meaning either the sanctuary or the place where the sanctuary once stood.

Edited by WilliamL
to add more precise info