• Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

I am wondering, without been destructive,

ADoes the resuraction, has something to do,

"you will surely die"

What kind of death is that?

Because he continue to live, and went on to have children, and he lived for a long time.

Thank you but, I still have the question I had before.

I had Adam in mine. Who had the life of God,

and then follow the other one.

What did the one Adam obey and follow had?

Did he give it to Adam?

Then, dif Adam pass it on to his off springs?

Thank you for your kind response.

Adam did not receive eternal life (the life of God) at his creation, but he simply received human life (the breath of life) and became a "living soul". Adam passed human life to his offspring, and it is only by grace through faith that any of his offspring could have eternal life.  Abel was a man of faith, so was Enoch, and so was Noah, and Abraham.  But each one after Adam was born in sin and shapen in iniquity, and his faith was imputed to him for righteousness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

swallow up . . . belly. Not therefore kept alive in the fish " s mouth, as some imagine. When thus swallowed up, Jonah must have died, and thus became a type of Christ. The "as" and "so" in Matthew 12:40 require Jonah"s death. He would have been no type if he had been miraculously kept alive. See further notes below."

The Holy Spirit was careful to say "And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights" instead of "And Jonah was DEAD in the belly of the fish.." (Jonah 1:17).  On the other hand, regarding Christ, the Holy Spirit says "Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, YIELDED UP THE GHOST" (Mt 27:50).  The prophetic intent of Jonah's experience was for Christ to be alive in the heart of the earth (Sheol/Hades) for three days and three nights, while His body rested in the tomb.  Jonah was alive in the whale's belly (and the term *whale* should not be dimissed, since it does occur in Mt 12:40, as well as in other Scrptures in the KJB).  "Sea monster" adds nothing to the narrative, and harks back to Loch Ness instead, and the mythical Nessie.

Higher critics and theological liberals have tried to dismiss the experience of Jonah as a myth or a legend. 

There are clergymen of high standing who, even in the pulpit and on  the Sabbath day, question not a few of the narratives recorded in  the Bible, and teach that the story of Jonah has no historical basis  on which to rest.

This quote is taken from a book titled The Story of Jonah in the Light of Higher Criticism by Luther Tracy Townsend (1897) which can be downloaded from the internet.

• 10 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you for this. I was going to use this a couple of days ago. You explain it much better though. 

God bless

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,738
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Thanks blevn1! :)

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/11/2015 at 5:26 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

I thought I would do a series of teachings on the parallels on one of the most "prophesied" event in the Old Testament -- and the focus of the New Testament authors -- the Resurrection.

Most people have never examined how many stories are directly connected to the most historic and earth changing event in the history of the world -- the resurrection.

I will begin with the sign of Jonah and continue this series showing how many "pictures" of the resurrection are throughout the Scriptures.

Jonah is laid out in a chiastic structure, which means that it a story that is laid out in a fashion where the story is unveiled -- then its central theme is identified -- then un-wrapped the same way it was originally wrapped.

A) Jonah 1:15  So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.

B) Jonah 1:16 Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.

C) Jonah 2:1-2a Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish,  saying, "I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me;

D) Jonah 2:2b out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.

E) Jonah 2:3 For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood surrounded me; all your waves and your billows passed over me.
                                                   F) Jon 2:4  Then I said, 'I am driven away from your sight; yet I shall again look upon your holy temple.'

E) Jonah 2:5 The waters closed in over me to take my life; the deep surrounded me

D) Jonah 2:6b yet you brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God.
             C) Jonah 2:7 When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
       B) Jonah 2:9 Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love. But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the LORD!"

A) Jonah 2:10 And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land.

So it's a story wrapped up with Jonah being cast into the sea and concludes with the sea casting Jonah to the land.  Each point A coincides with A, and B with B, so this story unveils itself in a unique way so we can examine the main point. 

The main point of Jonah -- that he was driven out of the sight of the Lord -- yet will once again look to the Temple!

As Yeshua (Jesus) stated in Matthew --

Mat 12:39  But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
Mat 12:40  For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

He's referring to Jonah's sign -- of three days and three nights -- the number 3 will be used by the LORD over and over again as a sign of the resurrection.

Jonah 1:17  And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Just as Jonah "died" and was "resurrected" so this was a sign of the resurrection.  Jonah should have died -- yet he didn't!   Jonah swallowed by a great fish -- a picture of death.  Was in the belly of the fish, three days and three nights -- a sign of the burial of Yeshua.  Jonah being spew up out of the belly of the great fish -- the resurrection.  Notice that Jonah's head was wrapped -- Jonah 2:5 "weeds were wrapped about my head" was a picture of the crown of thorns!

Just as Yeshua left His glory when he came to earth -- driven out of the sight of the Lord at his death -- YET He was restored to His glory in the Holy Temple.

John 17:5  And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

He RETURNED to the TEMPLE!  Resurrection!

As you can see the picture of Jonah is much deeper, and I'll do a series of teachings dealing with one of the most prophesied events in the Bible -- the resurrection!

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

Hello George. You have touched upon one of my favorite OT books and is indeed a book about Jesus evangelizing, being tried, crucified, buried, and resurrecting.

Has anyone noticed the similarity of the ship and temple in Jonah 1 and Matthew 8?

Rotherham) Jonah 1:4 And Yahweh hath cast a great wind on the sea, and there is a great tempest in the sea, and the ship hath reckoned to be broken; 5 and the mariners are afraid, and cry each unto his god, and cast the goods that are in the ship into the sea, to make it light of them; and Jonah hath gone down unto the sides of the vessel, and he lieth down, and is fast asleep. 14 Then cried they unto Yahweh and said, "Ah now Yahweh, pray let it not be that we perish for this man's life, neither lay upon us innocent blood,--for Thou, O Yahweh, as thou hast pleased hast ever done. 15 So they took up Jonah and hurled him into the sea,--and the sea, left off, her roaring. 17 Now Yahweh had appointed a great fish, to swallow up Jonah,--and Jonah was in the belly of the fish, three days and three nights.

Just like Jonah was asleep on the ship when the tempest arose, so also was Jesus asleep on the boat when a tempest came up:

Matt 8:23 And when he entered into the boat his disciples did follow him, 24 and behold, a great tempest arose in the sea, so that the boat was being covered by the waves, but He was sleeping

Matthew 12:40 for, as Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights, so shall the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights. [Matt 12:40/Luke 11:29]

I not only view Jonah as a type of Jesus, but also as  a type of Saul/Paul in the NT. Both were Hebrews and both were commanded to go preach to the Gentiles and Kings:

Jonah 3:1 And is becoming  word of Yahweh unto Jonah a second-time to say of "Rise thou! go to Nineveh! the great City and call to her! the call that I am speaking to thee' 3 But Jonah arose to flee to Tarshish/08659 Tarshiysh from to of faces of Yahweh.................5 And the men of Nineveh believe in God and proclaim a fast, and put on sackcloth, from their greatest even unto their least,

Rotherham) Jonah 1:9 And he said unto them "A Hebrew am I,--and Yahweh, the God of the heavens, do I revere Him who made the sea and the dry land.
Young) 2 Corinthians 11:22 Hebrews are they? I also! Israelites are they? I also! seed of Abraham are they? I also!
Young) Philippians 3:5 circumcision on the eighth day! of the race of Israel! of the tribe of Benjamin! a Hebrew of Hebrews! according to law a Pharisee!

Nineveh and Jonah are also mentioned  in the NT:

Matt 12:41 `Men, Ninevites shall be resurrecting/standing up/anasthsontai <450> (5698) in the judging with this generation and shall be condemning it, that they reform/repent into the proclamation of Jonah and behold! more of Jonah here.

Luk 11:32 'Men of Nineveh shall be standing-up<450> in the judgment with this generation and shall condemn it, because they reformed at the proclamation of Jonah; and behold!, greater than Jonah here!

And like the Apostles which were empowered by the Holy Spirit at Pentecost to preach to the ends of the earth, so too was Paul also chosen to go to the Gentiles a

The word Tarsus is fairly similar to the Tarshish in Jonah

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Acts 9:15 Said yet the Lord toward him "be thou going! that a vessel of-choice<1589> is to Me thisone, of the to bear the Name of Me  before nations and kings,and sons of Israel".

Acts 21:39 But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of  Tarsus/tarseuV <5018>, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.

Edited by InChristAlways