• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

1“Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2“Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent. 3“For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps. 5“Now while the bridegroom was delaying, they all got drowsy and began to sleep. 6“But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7“Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.8“The foolish said to the prudent, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9“But the prudent answered, ‘No, there will not be enough for us and you too; go instead to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.’ 10“And while they were going away to make the purchase, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast; and the door was shut. 11“Later the other virgins also came, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open up for us.’ 12“But he answered, ‘Truly I say to you, I do not know you.’ 13“Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

What do you suppose this "buying of oil" represents?

:thumbsup:

Open Open Open

Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. Revelation 3:17-22

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

John 12:3-8

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

1“Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2“Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent. 3“For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps. 5“Now while the bridegroom was delaying, they all got drowsy and began to sleep. 6“But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7“Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.8“The foolish said to the prudent, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9“But the prudent answered, ‘No, there will not be enough for us and you too; go instead to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.’ 10“And while they were going away to make the purchase, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast; and the door was shut. 11“Later the other virgins also came, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open up for us.’ 12“But he answered, ‘Truly I say to you, I do not know you.’ 13“Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

Hi Mega, I believe it means that we should be filled with the Holy Spirit at all times and at all times to be alert and ready for Jesus return.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

It's like come buy bread and wine without price (money). This kind of oil spoken of in scripture is not the same kind of oil that is bought by the barrel every single day to fuel our vehicles and what not. This oil lightens the face of a believer and sometimes we have to burn the midnight oil to fill our souls or lamps our vessels with the anointing of the Holy Spirit and refull ourselves so to speak. We are told and taught in scriptures to watch and pray and be ready for our Lord will come and no man knows the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh except the Father in heaven. If we let the light go out in our lives then we fall asleep spiritually and no longer are able to watch and wait on the bridegroom and will not be ready to go out and meet him at his coming. We have to walk in the light as he is in the light and must not walk in darkness we must keep our lamps trimmed and burning. We have this treasure in earthly vessels. We can be filled with the oil of joy and gladness in our waiting process it is free and can be bought and sought out without price.

The prudent person foresees the danger ahead and prepares himself but the foolish person goes on and doesn't forsee the dangers ahead and doesn't prepare themselves for it. A believer can't see without the light of the glorious gospel shinning in the darkness of this world. Spiritual sight let's you see what is up ahead and you will be able to see and not stumble around in the darkness to make yourself ready for it. Without the light of the gospel you are in darkness and will not be able to see ahead to even prepare yourself as you are blind spiritually thus you cannot continue to be prepared and watching as you didn't keep your vessel full of the spiritual light of life that God gave to us in the person of Jesus Christ you can't let your light go out or you will be full of darkness.

Jesus said if the salt has lost it savor it is good for nothing but to be trodden under the foot of man. Christians have to keep there saltyness or we are or we are no longer any good. Salt that has lost it savor is thrown out as it isn't any good anymore. It is the same if Christians let the light of Christ go out in their lives others can't find the way as their is no longer any light shinning in the darkness to see the way the truth and the life at his glorious apppearing as well.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

I think it is a warning to the pre-tribers, when no pre-trib rapture happens, those that are hoping for it will be discouraged, and run out of "oil". The post trib rapture crowd will be prepared with plenty of "oil" to get to their end. "OIL" being the will to see the end.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Oil

Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. Psalms 45:6-7

Is It God

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. Hebrews 1:9

God, The Holy Spirit?

For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. John 3:34

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

I think it is a warning to the pre-tribers, when no pre-trib rapture happens, those that are hoping for it will be discouraged, and run out of "oil". The post trib rapture crowd will be prepared with plenty of "oil" to get to their end. "OIL" being the will to see the end.

You make it sound as though Christians who believe in a Pre-Tribulation Rapture are escapists at heart and don t want to face the heat.  The only problem with that is that the Tribulation and the Great Tribulation are for the ungodly and the wicked.  Certainly there will be Tribulation saints who will all be beheaded (Rev 20:4), but if the entire Church went through the Tribulation, then the entire Church would be beheaded.  But that is not the Blessed Hope, and that is not what Scripture teaches.

Coming back to the meaning of *oil* the Bible presents oil as a metaphor for the Holy Spirit.  The foolish virgins would apparently be those who are depending on their own righteousness to enter Heaven, whereas the wise virgins know that all their righteousnesses are as filthy rags, hence look to the Holy Spirit for all things and know that it is only Christ who is their Righteousness.  There are a multitude of people called *Christians* who have not really been born again, but are trusting in their good works or their sacraments.  They will be deeply disappointed.

If the oil is the Holy Spirit, we have a problem. The five foolish virgins had oil, the same as the wise virgins, the foolish run out of oil and are told to go buy more. How did they use up their oil, the Bible says He will Never leave us nor forsake us.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

If the oil is the Holy Spirit, we have a problem. The five foolish virgins had oil, the same as the wise virgins, the foolish run out of oil and are told to go buy more. How did they use up their oil, the Bible says He will Never leave us nor forsake us.

The fact that the foolish virgins were shut out indicates that they were not of those with the indwelling Holy Spirit, and only those are the ones who are promised that God will never leave them nor forsake them.  The foolish would be classifed as "professing Christians" but not "possessing Christians".  They had the lamps of God's Word but they did not have the oil of the Spirit at the moment of truth -- when they had to meet the Bridegroom.

They had oil in their lamps, they just didn't have extra oil, they were told to go buy more oil, which was impossible