IGNORED

Try explain the concept of love your enemy to a soldier...

xyluz

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I was passionate about joining the military, though, not a physically built person... but still, i was looking forward to being part of those who take down the boko haram insurgence. They have wrought so much havoc to Christians... killed many, rendered many homeless and put many in the hospital...

But if i join the military, will i be able to kill a person... i mean the bible did say we should love our enemy (Mat 5:43) and even pray for them...

And here's my question, i would really like to hear what you think..

I am no longer eligible to join the military because of my age... but still... i wonder...

How would you explain the concept of love your enemy to a soldier?

Guest shiloh357

It' simple really.    Jesus was not making foreign policy nor was he a pacifist.   Jesus wasn't talking about how a nation should respond to foreign enemy who seeks harm against that nation.   Jesus was talking about personal relationships and how we are to respond to persecution.   You need to examine the context to see what Jesus meant.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Defending the homeland from an enemy who hates God Almighty and the ones who love Him and think nothing of Killing innocent children, men and women is vastly different from loving your neighbour as yourself or one who despises you. These are men who are God's enemies...and yours.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

But if i join the military, will i be able to kill a person... i mean the bible did say we should love our enemy (Mat 5:43) and even pray for them...

:thumbsup:

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." 1 Timothy 5:8

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  481
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

Go to him in the battlefield, pick up his gear, and help him get to where he needs to be. Give him food and drink. Tell him how you wish no harm on any human being

I was passionate about joining the military, though, not a physically built person... but still, i was looking forward to being part of those who take down the boko haram insurgence. They have wrought so much havoc to Christians... killed many, rendered many homeless and put many in the hospital...

I am no longer eligible to join the military because of my age... but still... i wonder...

This is about as honest a search of heart as I've seen. May God continue to bless you, XYLuz.

What you seek is not an easy find, nor can it be done quickly.

You ask, "If i join the military, will i be able to kill a person." ;  human life is one of the most precious things upon this earth. Having to take it is not to be taken lightly. The need can sometimes be evident? But you must examine yourself, that you stay true to your heart and within God's will.

Ask yourself if you do this out of vengeance, or any other "personal" motivation. Then ask God what His will is. He never desires that human life be taken, but sometimes eVil must be removed from the land and life will suffer its consequences. There is all the difference between "murder" and "killing". Murder is always personally motivated. Killing can be an act of self-preservation or the preservation of life of many. You have to search these things out within yourself, between you and God, alone.

"How would you explain the concept of love your enemy to a soldier?" ; The short answer is, you can't. You can't explain love. You have to show it. And to show it, you must know it and FEEL it. THEN, you show it to others, including soldiers. Most times it takes time unless God has brought forth seed to bloom at a particular moment in time.

Brother. Take your heart and go to God. He will provide for you. Listen to Him...and obey. Then let your peace be in your obedience.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

In the military, you are subject to the chain of command. Humans will decide where you go, who you kill, how you kill them, and what collateral damage is acceptable (non-combatants including children killed). Something to keep in mind.

Consider this:

All those Christians are going to Jesus Christ. God will avenge His elect. In the mean time, should you be fighting a war with guns when our enemies are not of the flesh?

The boko haram are not your enemies. Your enemies are the spirits at work in them.

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

principalities, powers, and the rulers of the darkness of this world are NOT flesh and blood. They are spirits.

What is at stake in this war?

Souls.

None of us will be here for very long. Fight the good fight.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

It' simple really.    Jesus was not making foreign policy nor was he a pacifist.   Jesus wasn't talking about how a nation should respond to foreign enemy who seeks harm against that nation.   Jesus was talking about personal relationships and how we are to respond to persecution.   You need to examine the context to see what Jesus meant.   

This is the correct way to understand what the Lord was teaching.  As to Boko Haram, they are evildoers to the core, and cowardly to boot. They are the enemies of God and God's people, therefore their destruction should be taken as the execution of righteous judgment upon the wicked.

:thumbsup:

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." 1 Timothy 5:8

hmmm... not sure what that implies... 

i know you respond most by scripture... but could you explain better... even if with scripture... :) 

In the military, you are subject to the chain of command. Humans will decide where you go, who you kill, how you kill them, and what collateral damage is acceptable (non-combatants including children killed). Something to keep in mind.

Consider this:

All those Christians are going to Jesus Christ. God will avenge His elect. In the mean time, should you be fighting a war with guns when our enemies are not of the flesh?

The boko haram are not your enemies. Your enemies are the spirits at work in them.

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

principalities, powers, and the rulers of the darkness of this world are NOT flesh and blood. They are spirits.

What is at stake in this war?

Souls.

None of us will be here for very long. Fight the good fight.

not sure what your point is...

should we fold our arms while we keep loosing lives daily? 

Go to him in the battlefield, pick up his gear, and help him get to where he needs to be. Give him food and drink. Tell him how you wish no harm on any human being

This is about as honest a search of heart as I've seen. May God continue to bless you, XYLuz.

What you seek is not an easy find, nor can it be done quickly.

You ask, "If i join the military, will i be able to kill a person." ;  human life is one of the most precious things upon this earth. Having to take it is not to be taken lightly. The need can sometimes be evident? But you must examine yourself, that you stay true to your heart and within God's will.

Ask yourself if you do this out of vengeance, or any other "personal" motivation. Then ask God what His will is. He never desires that human life be taken, but sometimes eVil must be removed from the land and life will suffer its consequences. There is all the difference between "murder" and "killing". Murder is always personally motivated. Killing can be an act of self-preservation or the preservation of life of many. You have to search these things out within yourself, between you and God, alone.

"How would you explain the concept of love your enemy to a soldier?" ; The short answer is, you can't. You can't explain love. You have to show it. And to show it, you must know it and FEEL it. THEN, you show it to others, including soldiers. Most times it takes time unless God has brought forth seed to bloom at a particular moment in time.

Brother. Take your heart and go to God. He will provide for you. Listen to Him...and obey. Then let your peace be in your obedience.

hmmm... thank you so much. :) you are a blessing