• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

In interesting video which examines the correlation, or lack there of, between gun prevalence and murder rate. It goes into some detail to compare various countries around the world as well as comparing U.S. Cities with high and low murder rates and high and low gun ownership rates.

WARNING! If you are one who believes that high gun ownership leads to murders and strict gun control laws lead to less murders, this video will disappoint and frustrate you.

https://youtu.be/pELwCqz2JfE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Points out the facts-its to bad to many people would rather believe the lies of the liberals and their agenda then to think for themselves.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Points out the facts-its to bad to many people would rather believe the lies of the liberals and their agenda then to think for themselves.

That is interesting to ponder in itself Patriot! I am going to take a more 'reasonable doubt' perspective, and broader observation.

Reasonable doubt, in that I believe it is possible that many are not lying, they are just reporting and believing things that are not true. What I mean is that people will repeat things they believe to be true, with no intent to deceive anyone. The fact that people will so easily accept information as fact, without careful investigation, does cause all sorts of harm, but we seem to be lazy and inclined to believe things that either seem reasonable, or agree with what we already want to hear.

The broader perspective is that we can find all manners of opinions on topics like firearms, global warming, racism, the effects of chemicals on our health, etc. etc. We can all have differing beliefs, but we cannot all be right when we do.

It seems as though, what we believe often has very little to do with evidence or what is actually true.

This also applies to the spiritual realm of things as well. For example, among people who profess to believe the Bible, many cannot express any actual factual reasons that the Bible should be believed. Regardless of why they believe it, they still refuse to believe what it says, when they do not like what it seems to say.

For example, many who profess belief, do not believe that a majority of mankind, is bound for eternal torment. The cannot believe it is possible, that God might choose to have His church, suffer tribulation.  Some think they see in the pages of scripture, the idea that God wants all of His people to be healthy and rich.

The list of these sorts of things, whether political, social, religious or whatever, is a very large one. I am reminded that over 90% of drivers believe they are better than average drivers, or how many people think their kids are better than average in terms of behavior.

I remember after the L.A. Riots of 1992, a young man named Damian Williams, was video taped beating a truck driver, using a brick, a fire extinguisher, and a tire iron. Enhanced images from the video, identified a specific tattoo he had, making his identity all the more certain.

I remember his heart broken mother, crying out that her boy was a "good boy", that in spite of his history of arrests for auto theft and robbery.

Sometimes, we cannot handle the truth, and prefer 'facts' that just make us more comfortable.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I agree omega-hence my wording. Most people are "sheep" they will believe whatever sounds "good". They are not intentionally lying, they are sharing their views on gun control in honest belief, but its because they are in essence allowing themselves to be deceived, because they don't understand how to think for themselves. They've been raised in a generation that discourages critical thinking and encourages our own sin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  481
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

If that video is fact, and it probably is, it is proof in the pudding... that you'll never hear in the national propaganda outlets (NBC, CBS, ABC, NPR, MSNBC and many more). The enEmy will take one murder from somewhere U.S.A. and make it a production worthy of Hollywood to purposely counter any pro-gun understanding.

Americans living life at warp 9.9? They never know what hits them.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

You are talking apples and oranges here peep.

Look at homicides overall and not just gun homicides....     guns don't kill people, people do and if they don't have a gun they just use something else.....    I'm 68 years old with military injuries that keep me from running.

So I'm too beat up to run and too old to effectively fight and need something to protect myself with.

if you have never had a person call you in the middle of the night expressing thier wish to harm both yourself and your spouse, or been mugged a couple of times you might not understand that.      Bad things happen to good people all the time, i just don't want them to happen to us.......        and those bad things happen to Christian people I know also so I don't think we are to just sit back and let people do damage to us.

When Jesus sent the deciples out  the first time he told them not to take anything with them but the clothes on their back.  he told them not to take a sword (best weapon at the time).   But the second time he told them to take money with them and to take a sword with them this time.

The first time they didn't really have anything for the robbers and low life to want to hurt people over......   when they took things that made them vulnerable, He wanted them armed to protect themselves.     So I don't go along with the God will protect you all the time....   Didn't when Jesus was on earth and from what I see doesn't now.    I think it has to do with free will.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I think the video is sending a mixed message, I think people mean very different things when they talk about Guns in the U.S.A.

The video is talking about gun ownership then comparing it to murder per capita (this is not the same as murder per gun per capita) , almost defending against an accusation that has not been made.

When people (at least in Europe) talk about gun crime in America they are talking about the availability of guns rather that the murder rate per capita.  The news here from the U.S.A. is normally filled with school shootings and the like,  where a semi automatic weapon has been used to kill people on a large scale, people are aware that such people are not sane but wonder if they could have killed as many at that time if they hadn't had a gun so freely available. 

Here we have had school killings, insane people wanting to kill, but normally on a much lower scale if you have  knife for instance you are more likely to kill just the person you have grievance against and anyone who gets in your way, and fatalities even after a personal attack are lower. Figures show is that in America if you are a victim of homicide the murder weapon is much more likely to have been a gun than anywhere else in the world, that though is an expected figure in a country that has more guns per capita than anywhere else.

So if the argument is 'If I am a victim of homicide in the U.S.A. I am more likely to have been killed by a gun than anywhere else in the world' then that is correct.

IF however the argument is 'I am more likely to get murdered in the U.S.A. than anywhere else, then that clearly is not correct'

Also I think the video plays fast and loose with statistics he then goes back to Plano, a place awash with guns (or he gives that impression) comments of how low the murder rate is, removes the worse places in the U.S.A. from his figures then says .. hey we would be even lower in the rankings!!.  and compares that figure to 'murderous Belgium's ' without affording Belgium the same mathematical and statistical  wizardry as he's afforded the U.S.A.  The bottom line is no one thinks that owning a gun per say makes you insane, but that the availability of such weapons makes tragedy's like the school shootings more possible.

All in all he makes a good point that America is not the murder capital of the world (per capita) but then again I wouldn't compare a modern democracy with the likes of north African countries amid tribal disputes and civil war.

Andy

Edited by AnythingIsPossible