• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Do you think leaders in the church ( Pastors, Apostles, Prophets, Elders, Bishops and Deacons ) should be required to get college training in theology? I saw this brought up in another thread. I was wondering how other believers felt about this. Should it be a requirement? If you don't believe that Apostles or Prophets are for today that's fine. I'm not looking to debate that here, please just ignore those 2. Just curious how other Christians are wanting their Church leadership qualified . Can God qualify someone on his own without college training in theology? Is there a concern that college training in theology is just getting the doctrine of men and/or the approval of man?

God bless 

Firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Do you think leaders in the church ( Pastors, Apostles, Prophets, Elders, Bishops and Deacons ) should be required to get college training in theology? I saw this brought up in another thread. I was wondering how other believers felt about this. Should it be a requirement? If you don't believe that Apostles or Prophets are for today that's fine. I'm not looking to debate that here, please just ignore those 2. Just curious how other Christians are wanting their Church leadership qualified . Can God qualify someone on his own without college training in theology? Is there a concern that college training in theology is just getting the doctrine of men and/or the approval of man?

God bless 

Firestormx

I am very fussy who teaches me the Word of God.I do think that a pastor should have a Bible college and seminary background.Any Church that I would attend anyway.I have respected and admired some teachings on Christian websites.Those teachers that I admired are few and far between and I don't know if they are a pastor or not since they have not revealed their academic background.All I know is that what I read of their teachings seem right on.I feel that my discernment is quite good.

• Thumbs Up 1

God bless 

Firestormx

I am very fussy who teaches me the Word of God.I do think that a pastor should have a Bible college and seminary background.Any Church that I would attend anyway.I have respected and admired some teachings on Christian websites.Those teachers that I admired are few and far between and I don't know if they are a pastor or not since they have not revealed their academic background.All I know is that what I read of their teachings seem right on.I feel that my discernment is quite good.

Thank you for sharing that with me. Do you mind if I ask you a question about your stance. I was actually thinking of adding this question to my OP. The question, What about someone NOT having bible college and seminary background concerns you? Thanks again for your post whether you answer or not my new question.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

The best way to answer this is to ask "Did Jesus of Nazareth attend one of the rabbinic schools in Jerusalem and did any of the apostles?"  The answer is obvious.

The reason they avoided them was because they had elevated the doctrines of men above the Word of God.  Even Paul, who was more formally trained as a Pharisee, abandoned all the privileges and learning obtained therein that he might "win Christ".  He also warned against philosophy and science falsely so-called.  There is no requirement in Scripture for those who are spiritual leaders to attend schools and obtain academic qualifications.  They must be called by the Holy Spirit and taught by Him also, as they themselves diligently study the Word.

There was a time when at least some of the Bible schools and seminaries were attempting to uphold the Scriptures and the true Gospel and people could learn Bible truth.  That time has more or less gone, and even the fundamentalist schools have been compromised.  The mainline seminaries actually undermine the faith of those who attend them and undermine the authority, inerrancy and infallibilty of Scripture.  Higher and Lower Criticism became attacks on the Bible rather than helps in settling the faith of those who should minister the Word.

This problem surfaced years ago, and two book were published to expose the falling away within Bible schools in America -- The Battle for the Bible and The Bible in the Balance both by Harold Lindsell.  But the attacks on Scripture began in earnest in the 18th century, with the German rationalists who were all seemingly "Christian" professors and theologians. In the 19th century, Dean John William Burgon exposed the falling away in the Anglican Church in his book Inspiration and Interpretation.  W. W. Warfield exposed the falling away in America in his book The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible.  Before that Louis Gaussen  (also in the 19th century) exposed the problem throughout Europe in The Divine Inspiration of the Bible.

When theologians and seminary professors mount a concerted attack against the Bible (e.g. the Jesus Seminar), it would be foolish for anyone to seek their assistance in learning the truth.  Also, many theologians have adopted and promoted certain biases in their theologies which are not necessarily scriptural. The Calvinism of Reformed Theology, for example, can be easily refuted but is held to be Gospel truth by many. Therefore, as Paul teaches in Scripture, faithful men within the churches must teach other faithful men.

The best way to answer this is to ask "Did Jesus of Nazareth attend one of the rabbinic schools in Jerusalem and did any of the apostles?"  The answer is obvious.

The reason they avoided them was because they had elevated the doctrines of men above the Word of God.  Even Paul, who was more formally trained as a Pharisee, abandoned all the privileges and learning obtained therein that he might "win Christ".  He also warned against philosophy and science falsely so-called.  There is no requirement in Scripture for those who are spiritual leaders to attend schools and obtain academic qualifications.  They must be called by the Holy Spirit and taught by Him also, as they themselves diligently study the Word.

Thank you for the post, very interesting. So, am I correct in saying that you look for someone who has studied to show themselves approved, bearing the fruits of the spirit?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Firestormx,

The Holy Spirit only needs a faithful heart. There is nothing that can be learned in formal study that the Holy Spirit cannot teach.

I highly respect formal study as it can provide a solid foundation for faith. But, as someone who has engaged in more than 4 years, full-time, formal theological study, I can tell you with certainty that you’ll learn more from time in fellowship with God, then from a classroom.

A minister’s relationship with God is far more important than their education. Paul tells Timothy to pass sound doctrine onto “faithful men” (2 Tim 2:2) – NOT educated men.

Again – I am not belittling formal education. Paul himself was very highly educated. But there is no standard in scripture that only the formally educated can attain to positions of example in the church.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think that increasing one's education and getting formal training in a seminary will add to the overall knowledge of the Bible.There are a lot of issues facing a Pastor today and a formal training will prepare him for those challenges.I think taking on the responsibility of teaching the Word of God to a congregation is very important and I do not think someone is prepared for that unless they take the extra time,effort and prayer to commit to a Seminary.A pastor or a teacher of God's Word is going to be judged very harshly if He is not pleasing God and is not teaching the true Word of God or is a false teacher.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Firestormx,

The Holy Spirit only needs a faithful heart. There is nothing that can be learned in formal study that the Holy Spirit cannot teach.

I highly respect formal study as it can provide a solid foundation for faith. But, as someone who has engaged in more than 4 years, full-time, formal theological study, I can tell you with certainty that you’ll learn more from time in fellowship with God, then from a classroom.

A minister’s relationship with God is far more important than their education. Paul tells Timothy to pass sound doctrine onto “faithful men” (2 Tim 2:2) – NOT educated men.

Again – I am not belittling formal education. Paul himself was very highly educated. But there is no standard in scripture that only the formally educated can attain to positions of example in the church.

Thanks for the post. I guess I'm just curious how other believers are qualifying there leaders. If they just take on faith the person preaching the word should be up there doing it, or if they use a standard to qualify a leader in the church.

I think that increasing one's education and getting formal training in a seminary will add to the overall knowledge of the Bible.There are a lot of issues facing a Pastor today and a formal training will prepare him for those challenges.I think taking on the responsibility of teaching the Word of God to a congregation is very important and I do not think someone is prepared for that unless they take the extra time,effort and prayer to commit to a Seminary.A pastor or a teacher of God's Word is going to be judged very harshly if He is not pleasing God and is not teaching the true Word of God or is a false teacher.

Thank you for the elaboration. May God bless you.

Hi Firestormx,

Thanks for the post. I guess I'm just curious how other believers are qualifying there leaders. If they just take on faith the person preaching the word should be up there doing it, or if they use a standard to qualify a leader in the church.

I always check out a Pastor's credentials before I attend a Church.