• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1948

Do most Bible believing Christians adhere to the doctrine of Sanctification? I understand that there are two. Positional and progressive, which as I understand it, simply means that when you accept Christ as you personal Savior, you are positionally saved. Secondly, as you continue to follow and understand what the Scriptures actually mean, you are undergoing progressive sanctification.

Simply put, you accept Christ and then grow in your walk with Him to become more and more like Him. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Well, I think sanctification is a bit like this:

sanctification_small.jpg

It is not hard to find Bible verses that directly say that believers were sanctified, and that they are being sanctified. If one understands sanctification as being made holy, set apart, Christlike etc, then we can find it in the future tense also, if phrases like "when He comes, we shall be like Him. We often refer to the future sense of sanctification, as glorification.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Do most Bible believing Christians adhere to the doctrine of Sanctification? I understand that there are two. Positional and progressive, which as I understand it, simply means that when you accept Christ as you personal Savior, you are positionally saved. Secondly, as you continue to follow and understand what the Scriptures actually mean, you are undergoing progressive sanctification.

Simply put, you accept Christ and then grow in your walk with Him to become more and more like Him. 

Absolutely.  At the same time we should not forget perfect sanctification (1 Jn 3:1-3): Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Hi Brother Jmann, I have written that salvation and/or sanctification is in four contexts as the holiness is tied to each part of God's ongoing work in our lives

1.       Salvation is provisional.

If we receive Christ we will be saved.

2.       Saved from penalty of sin.

Once we become God’s child we have are set apart, and saved from the penalty of sin forever.

John 5:24), "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."

3.       Working out our salvation.

Next we enter the experiential part of our salvation of overcoming the habit of sin as we grow in grace and knowledge of our LORD. Php 2:12  Working out our own salvation such as in Rom 12:2.  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Peter said in 2 Peter 1:5-7  to "Add to your faith virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity."

4.       Delivered from the presence of sin.

We will be saved from this corrupt world. In (Romans 8:18-23), Paul states (18) "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (21) Because the creature (Creation) itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. (22) For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now." John states in (1 John 3:2) "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Thank you so much Thallasa,

that is very encouraging. Although I truly appreciate your compliment, I would not go that far.

It is an intimidating thought:

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. - James 3:1

However, vous etes les bienvenus

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  481
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

When it comes to sanctification, I think the word says that was just one of the many things our Lord Jesus accomplished for us through His sacrifice and victory over death, hell and the grave... just one.

We will walk after Him and His ways. That's called "following".

We will learn and we will battle our own flesh within ourselves: that's called obedience motivated by love and Grace.

I put a blog post together a while back at the site listed below. I think the bible identifies many things that were achieved and given to us as born again children of God... which means JESUS earned it all. We will never earn anything. All we can ever do is hope to walk in His footprints with the same heart He has. I hope it helps.

http;//ouridentityinjesus.blogspot.com/ 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I agree with what is presented here & would like to add some points that have helped me with this subject. The subject of spirit,soul,& body have helped me wrap my mind around sanctification. First off our spirit is the part of us born-again & sanctified from the start. This is why some of the epistles begin with "to the saints at Ephesus" (or where ever) "saint" being short for sanctified or holy.

Secondly we grow in our sanctification in our life by the renewing of our minds. Roms 12:2- "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind". Your mind being the governor of your soul.

Lastly when our physical transformation takes place @ Christ's return. At this point our sanctification will be complete. There u have it spirit ,soul,& body in sanctification.

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Hi Jmann,

When we come to Christ in acceptance we are immediately Justified, meaning, it is though we have never sinned.

From that point we start the sanctification process, Be yea perfect as I am perfect, the sanctification process is a on going purification process our whole lives. We all can come to Christ as we are, but if in a few years we are the same Christian as the day we started I would be questioning our standing.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,436
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

On 7/3/2015 at 9:10 PM, Jmann said:

Yes and when Christ returns we will attained complete and perfect sanctification. Yes most bible believing Christians adhere to this doctrine