alphaparticle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I believe the focus on modesty in women is because there has recently been a serious overall trend to expose as much of the woman as possible, which also impacts on Christian women.  You can Google female fashions to check this out.  You can then check out how women are dressing all around you, and how this influence is creeping into churches.

When there are Hollywood events, a lot of the women are almost naked, and the exposure of cleavages, breasts, backs, bellies, etc. along with dangerously short hemlines has become extremely commonplace. Bra-less-ness (considered "liberating") became the badge of feminism. 

In contrast, most men do no indulge in such exposure, because their clothing is not geared in that direction, and neither are their psyches (unless they are psychos or sickos).

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I can't disagree with anything MorningGlory said about how Christian men should behave in post #10.  That was how the majority behaved at one time. 

Yes; in our grandparents' day the type of language and topics we hear in public today would've gotten a man in hot water.  But, like I said, women today are often just as bad. But I hold out hope that I'll meet a man who lives the way God would have us live.  

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I would suggest that a man - Christian man particularly, should act the way He would want a young man to treat his daughter. If a young man sees his father act this way toward his mother, he will treat all women and wife in particular, in like manner.

I would suggest that a man - Christian man particularly, should act the way He would want a young man to treat his daughter. If a young man sees his father act this way toward his mother, he will treat all women and wife in particular, in like manner.

I wholeheartedly agree, Littlelambs. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I believe the focus on modesty in women is because there has recently been a serious overall trend to expose as much of the woman as possible, which also impacts on Christian women.  You can Google female fashions to check this out.  You can then check out how women are dressing all around you, and how this influence is creeping into churches.

When there are Hollywood events, a lot of the women are almost naked, and the exposure of cleavages, breasts, backs, bellies, etc. along with dangerously short hemlines has become extremely commonplace. Bra-less-ness (considered "liberating") became the badge of feminism. 

In contrast, most men do no indulge in such exposure, because their clothing is not geared in that direction, and neither are their psyches (unless they are psychos or sickos).

The focus, I believe, is inappropriate given that there doesn't seem to be first a focus first on how believing men treat women. Men don't indulge in such exposure because women don't respond to it in the same sort of way that men respond to scantily clad women. Were believing men doing what they were supposed to, simply by treating women in the ways outlined in scripture in the OP, this issue would diminish.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1962

The focus, I believe, is inappropriate given that there doesn't seem to be first a focus first on how believing men treat women. Men don't indulge in such exposure because women don't respond to it in the same sort of way that men respond to scantily clad women. Were believing men doing what they were supposed to, simply by treating women in the ways outlined in scripture in the OP, this issue would diminish.

Why can't it be both?  We should be teaching our young men how to treat women in a biblical manner as the daughters of God that they are, and our young women should be taught to dress and behave in a biblical manner as the daughters of God that they are.  This teaching should begin in the home, by the parents, and re-enforced in the church.  If you have Godly parents who teach their children these principles (and live them themselves) then the girls won't grow up to idolize the Hollywood starlets and how they dress, and the young men will know how to treat women.  We shouldn't be focused just on the males, or just on the females, but both.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Men should be Christ like.....   simple as that....

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Absolutely.  The issue that was raised in this thread is why has feminine modesty  become an issue?  And the answer is because it is an issue

I was at a place of business recently where the attendant at the counter was a young woman (and chunky to boot).  Not only was her cleavage exposed partially but she had some kind of unreadable message tatooed across the top.  She probably did not give it a thought, and assumed that this was "business casual".

This type of female exposure is becoming the norm.  So Christian women need to be asking themselves whether they are allowing these norms to influence them, or are they resisting them.  If they are not resisting them, then men (in general) should not be blamed for their inappropriate responses.

Absolutely.  The issue that was raised in this thread is why has feminine modesty  become an issue?  And the answer is because it is an issue

I was at a place of business recently where the attendant at the counter was a young woman (and chunky to boot).  Not only was her cleavage exposed partially but she had some kind of unreadable message tatooed across the top.  She probably did not give it a thought, and assumed that this was "business casual".

This type of female exposure is becoming the norm.  So Christian women need to be asking themselves whether they are allowing these norms to influence them, or are they resisting them.  If they are not resisting them, then men (in general) should not be blamed for their inappropriate responses.

Oh no, Ezra, you didn't really say THAT!  I'm sorry but, if Joseph could resist Ponifer's wife, what is the excuse for men today?  Do you men have no self-control, no mind over matter?  Or what?  There have always been bad women and there always will be.  Saying men can't be blamed for their lust is a cop out. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Mat 5:28,9

But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.

You are responsible for your own reactions. This last sentence of yours is deeply disturbing.