alphaparticle

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I posted my response to see that Once Again I am in agreement with MOrningglory....  should I be concerned? Should we all be concerned? :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Men should be Christ like.....   simple as that....

Absolutely.  The issue that was raised in this thread is why has feminine modesty  become an issue?  And the answer is because it is an issue

I was at a place of business recently where the attendant at the counter was a young woman (and chunky to boot).  Not only was her cleavage exposed partially but she had some kind of unreadable message tatooed across the top.  She probably did not give it a thought, and assumed that this was "business casual".

This type of female exposure is becoming the norm.  So Christian women need to be asking themselves whether they are allowing these norms to influence them, or are they resisting them.  If they are not resisting them, then men (in general) should not be blamed for their inappropriate responses.

I know a young lady who often wears very low tops.The fact that she is chunky means nothing.There are a lot of chunky women.She has a couple of guns tattooed on that cleavage. fear.gif

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I posted my response to see that Once Again I am in agreement with MOrningglory....  should I be concerned? Should we all be concerned? :)

Yes!  It appears that the universe has flipped upside down!

No, just kidding.  Your response is what I would expect of a Christian man. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

You are responsible for your own reactions. This last sentence of yours is deeply disturbing.

Why should it be "deeply disturbing"?  You will notice that I said "men (in general)".  I did not say "spiritual Christian men".  Big difference.  Men (in general) are all around us. If Christian women follow immodest fashion trends, that impacts men in general, not just spiritual Christian men (who can be held to a higher standard, as you and I know).

Speaking of which, if a Christian brother sees a Christian sister who does not understand what appropriate modest dressing involves, he would have every right to go to a mature Christian sister who knows what's what, and ask her to have a little chat with the person who needs some advice on modesty. It's usually better if a woman tells another woman what is acceptable and what is not (and Scripture clearly supports that).  That which used to "obvious" vis-a-vis modesty in the past is no longer obvious today.

And Bopeep, the reason I mentioned "chunky" was to simply show that the trend is affecting even those who should not be displaying their cleavage.  One would expect the chunky ones to be more discreet, but that was not the case.  They are even displaying their bellies these days.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

She has a couple of guns tattooed on that cleavage. fear.gif

Today's Annie Oakley?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with everything you say there alpha, but I would point out that the kinds of threads you are addressing, seem to gravitate to insisting that women dress modestly, and then go on to inject personal opinions and what constitutes modesty.

I recently read an article, about how maternity jeans are being manufactured for women in Malaysia, so that they can give birth in hospitals, without disrobing. Modesty takes shape in many forms.

However, I do not think that the command to dress modestly, is limited to, or even primarily aimed at, not showing to much skin. I think's it's focus, is more about not getting all gussied up, so as to impress people and be attractive through outward beauty. Instead, I think it is about the inner self, being Godly, and that is a beauty, that is seen in action, not in reflected light waves.

As far as how men are to behave, it is no different. Where we might not typically wear eye shadow, perhaps we drive a macho car, or put custom wheels on a car to make it stand out. We want to be seen as standing out, not blending in. Many of us are way to focused on how we are seen by others. It can be in what we own, what we wear, where we live, even wear we work.

Being a movie star, has a kind of prestige, that collecting the garbage does not. Collecting the garbage, is a much more useful occupation to the benefit of others.

The Bible even addresses our prayer life in this way. We can pray publicly, in a way so as to be seen by others, or we can retreat to our closet to be hear by God only.

Vanity, self centered expressions (Facebook and Twitter exist for this), even writing a post in the forums, can all be misused and wasted efforts.

Maybe both genders, can look at any action and ponder, how is this helping others, how does this make others feel, how does this glorify God?

If we were to keep those things in mind, we would not go too far off.

Oh.. I am unaware of this in Malaysia. Lol. I'm missing out lol

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

...Speaking of which, if a Christian brother sees a Christian sister who does not understand what appropriate modest dressing involves, he would have every right to go to a mature Christian sister who knows what's what, and ask her to have a little chat with the person who needs some advice on modesty. It's usually better if a woman tells another woman what is acceptable and what is not (and Scripture clearly supports that).  That which used to "obvious" vis-a-vis modesty in the past is no longer obvious today.

I've been in this situation a number of times over the years.

And have gone on to mention it to older Christian woman to address subjects just as this, as well as any other multitude of things that the older women should teach the younger.

Much of this is missing today, and should be brought to the forefront again as part of our walk in Christ.

Tit 2:1-8

(1)  But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

(2)  That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

(3)  The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

(4)  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

(5)  To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

(6)  Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

(7)  In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

(8)  Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

Christian men should be doing the same, addressing younger Christian men on a multitude of issues facing the Christian today.

I would add my wife has done the opposite, when she sees something terribly inappropriate concerning another Christian man, she addresses me on the matter, so that I might address the man. 

Sometimes the advice will be well received, other times not so much.

Either way, may we all look to do our part in seeing Christ glorified.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1948

I work in a male dominated culture (the oil industry) and most of the men I meet work in the same industry or are customers.  Not ALL of them but  most of them are just not men I would want to date or marry.  A Christian man shouldn't swear, drink to excess, ogle women or tell dirty jokes.  He should be saved and  put God first in all things.  The funny thing is that I work in a Christian workplace; they are very open about it.  As for the women, they are not much less crude than the men.  I just tune out what I don't want to hear and they know better than to tell those jokes and stories to me directly.  We can't control the world; only our reactions to it.

Glory, I whole heartedly agree with you. This shouldn't even be a discussion about this issue. Being a man, used to be in the world, but saved by grace, it's a nasty place out there and worldly men have very little good in their mind. I even see this in the church and there is no place for objectivity of women in the church. My daughter once dated a non Christian, to my objection, and I told her exactly what to watch out for. Guess what, she found out the hard way. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,089
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Absolutely.  The issue that was raised in this thread is why has feminine modesty  become an issue?  And the answer is because it is an issue

I was at a place of business recently where the attendant at the counter was a young woman (and chunky to boot).  Not only was her cleavage exposed partially but she had some kind of unreadable message tatooed across the top.  She probably did not give it a thought, and assumed that this was "business casual".

This type of female exposure is becoming the norm.  So Christian women need to be asking themselves whether they are allowing these norms to influence them, or are they resisting them.  If they are not resisting them, then men (in general) should not be blamed for their inappropriate responses.

I know a young lady who often wears very low tops.The fact that she is chunky means nothing.There are a lot of chunky women.She has a couple of guns tattooed on that cleavage. fear.gif

I don't care if you women decide to run around naked......   men are still responsible for their actions.....      and I can tell you that even though you do I will not be unfaithful to my wife.....           and the problem is that too many men are not that way....    and that's not womens problem it is ours.....    our tongue is very capable of uttering the word "no".

The day we got married I promised my wife I would not be intimate with anyone but her.......    that was in front most of both of our families and a large number of our friends.....    and most important we invited God to our wedding....       there is no excuse for not being faithful to your spouse.

As for lust, that's a different story.....   God seems to have put hormones in our system to drive things and we are supposed to learn to control these hormones....

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I don't care if you women decide to run around naked......   men are still responsible for their actions.....      and I can tell you that even though you do I will not be unfaithful to my wife.....           and the problem is that too many men are not that way....    and that's not womens problem it is ours.....    our tongue is very capable of uttering the word "no".

The day we got married I promised my wife I would not be intimate with anyone but her.......    that was in front most of both of our families and a large number of our friends.....    and most important we invited God to our wedding....       there is no excuse for not being faithful to your spouse.

As for lust, that's a different story.....   God seems to have put hormones in our system to drive things and we are supposed to learn to control these hormones....

I think as a Christian you should care if a woman runs around half naked because that is not what God wants.Men are only human and the temptation is great and it is very easy for them to stumble and fall if a woman puts that temptation before them.Look at David in the OT.Some men do not want it to change because they like the eye candy.