*Zion*

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

A friend of mine was studying Chinese at a Beijing university in the 90s.  All his emails were read and censored and he had to be very careful not to reveal any connection to religion, since he was planning to go into missionary work and Bible translation.    He reported that some provinces were very strict and some were more receptive to Christians, depending on how the laws were enforced.  He was there for many years and traveled widely.  Others have reported that the Canton province was less restrictive.  People who go there to adopt also find the areas around Korea to be less restrictive.  These things also vary with the current political leaders.  I get the impression that it may also depend on the local authorities.  Voice of the Martyrs keeps up with the jailing and persecution of Christians.  It has an interview with people who had been in prison for several years for their faith in western China as of 2013.  

My daughter was on staff with Campus Crusade for several years.    Those who were planning to go to China, because of their known affiliation with Crusade, they were told not to even mention the word China in any of their communications either computer or word of mouth.   They used code words for it. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I've been to China. It's very civilised in most parts and there is a lot more freedom than you may think.

However......

I get the impression that you can do what you want and say what you like as long as you are no threat to the Beijing ruling regime. The Chines authorities are suspicious of all religions that place any authority above their authority. Christianity is tolerated in many parts as long as the preachers stick to moral codes in this life and Godly authority only in the after-life. If you cross the lines you will be penalised.

Perhaps the Beijing government may be reassured by the words "give to Cesar what is Cesar's". If Christians do just that and stay out of politics they will be fine. Different regions in China have different views on things and some are more strict than others. I have heard that Christianity is growing fast in China but many Chinese bureaucrats don't understand it and are concerned about it. They are probably more suspicious of religion now than when I went there because of the increasing numbers of Muslim terrorist attacks.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I thought perhaps it was seditious material like Gilligan's Island and Barnie the Dinosaur