IGNORED

The 24 Elders Described Revelation, Who Are They???

Rev2015

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Here are some of the verses in Revelation revealing the descriptions and actions of the 24 elders John saw in the throne room of heaven. Study the verses thoroughly and then give your opinion to the questions below.

From these verses can we determine who these 24 elders are? Are they men, angels, or other eternal beings? What specific verse may reveal the answer?

Revelation:4

4And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Revelation:5
7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Revelation:7
3 And again they said, Alleluia And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.
4 And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia.

Here are some of the verses in Revelation revealing the descriptions and actions of the 24 elders John saw in the throne room of heaven. Study the verses thoroughly and then give your opinion to the questions below.

From these verses can we determine who these 24 elders are? Are they men, angels, or other eternal beings? What specific verse may reveal the answer?

Revelation:4

4And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

9 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever,
10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Revelation:5
7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Revelation:7
3 And again they said, Alleluia And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.
4 And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia.

Can a mod. please delete this post topic, I am having trouble with my keyboard and I double posted this by mistake.

Thanks

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

The raptured Church.And welcome to Worthy   :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/14/1969

Hi Rev2015,

Nice to "meet you".

V9 holds a key.

For some time now this has been an unanswered question for me I must admit .. in fact, it is the only verse in the whole book of revelations I can not definitively answer. 

Sure I have speculations, but every "answer" I frame just comes with more speculations.

I do not believe it can be answered definitively & that any answer will just be speculation too .. nevertheless, I look forward to your views on this one "good thorn" in my spiritual side.

Regards.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/14/1969

Hi Rev2015,

Nice to "meet you".

V9 holds a key.

For some time now this has been an unanswered question for me I must admit .. in fact, it is the only verse in the whole book of revelations I can not definitively answer. 

Sure I have speculations, but every "answer" I frame just comes with more speculations.

I do not believe it can be answered definitively & that any answer will just be speculation too .. nevertheless, I look forward to your views on this one "good thorn" in my spiritual side.

Regards.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

The raptured Church.

Not likely, because both the 24 elders and the Church are present at the same time in the vision described in Rev 7:9-17. In fact it is an elder who reveals to John the nature of the great multitude in Heaven.

There have been many ideas presented about these elders, but the two things that stand out are (1) they surround the throne of God and (2) they are twenty four in number.

Since elders are always shepherds of churches, we can be certain that these redeemed men were outstanding genuine shepherds while on earth, and are eternally considered elders worthy of high honor.  That they surround the throne of God indicates that they have a closer connection to His throne than others.  There is no reason to regard them as angels, as some have suggested.

Since numbers have spiritual significance in Scripture, and 12 is the number of Divine government and worship, 2 X 12 = 24 indicates an even greater level (double?) of involvement with Divine government.

Going beyond these observations would be intruding into things which have not been revealed.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Rev2015 said in post 1:

The 24 Elders Described In Revelation, Who Are They???

The 24 elders (Revelation 4:4) could be 24 chief angels who, along with the 4 beasts/seraphims, have been worshipping God continually (as in 24 hours a day) for untold ages (Revelation 4:8-11, Isaiah 6:2-3). Just as the ancient Jewish temple on earth was modeled after the temple in heaven (Hebrews 9:23-24, Hebrews 8:5), so the 24 courses of the ancient Jewish chief priests on earth (1 Chronicles 24:7-18) could have been modeled after the 24 elders in heaven. God could have also patterned the 24 hours of the day on earth after the 24 elders in heaven. And he could have also patterned the church's 12 tribes of Israel and its 12 apostles (Revelation 21:9,12,14), together forming the number 24, after the 24 elders in heaven.

At the time of Revelation 5:8-9, the 24 elders and 4 beasts/seraphims could be singing before God the prayers of the church (Revelation 5:8c), just as subsequently we see an angel offering up before God the prayers of the church (Revelation 8:4). So in Revelation 5:9, the 24 elders and 4 beasts/seraphims can be singing words which don't apply to themselves, just as humans on earth can sing words which don't apply to themselves (e.g. James Taylor singing the words of the song "Millworker", which is the lament of a female millworker in the 19th century).

The 24 elders wearing crowns (Revelation 4:4) doesn't forbid them (as is sometimes claimed) from being angels. For if even the weird locust-like beings and the devil can wear crowns (Revelation 9:7, Revelation 12:3,9), then some angels can wear crowns.

Also, the 24 elders wearing white clothing (Revelation 4:4) doesn't forbid them (as is sometimes claimed) from being angels, for angels can wear white clothing (Revelation 15:6, John 20:12).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Rev2015,

Good question, as it leads to the eternal inheritance & position of the Body of Christ. I will address the `nots` first.

1. They are not `angels.` `For He (God) has not put the world to come, of which we speak, in subjection to angels.` (Heb. 2: 5)

2. They are not `other eternal beings.` `And every creature which is in heaven & on the earth & under the earth & such that are in the sea, & all that are in them, I heard saying: “Blessing & honour & glory & power be to Him who sits on the throne, & to the Lamb, forever & ever.` (Rev. 5: 13 & 14) There is no hidden group of `eternal beings` not recorded in God`s word.

3. They are the Body of Christ.

Their Description. Christ in not just `a` priest, but a `high priest.`

`We have such a `high priest,` who is seated at the right hand of the Majesty in the heavens.` (Heb. 8: 1)

So where there is a `high priest` there are other priests. And as this high priest is a royal priest, a kingpriest, then the other priests would also be of that type, that order – kingpriests. Thus as we look at Christ on His throne as Kingpriest, we see others on thrones around Him. Now who are these? And how does God describe them?

`Around the throne were 24 thrones, & on the thrones I saw 24 elders, clothed in white robes; & they had crowns of gold on their heads.` (Rev. 4: 4)

24 elders – (2 x 12) the highest government.

On thrones – Kingpriests.

Around Jesus` throne – the Body of Christ.

Clothed in white robes – made holy through Christ`s blood.

With golden crowns – Victor`s, overcomers.

Thus we see, as Christ promised, the overcomers in the Body of Christ seated with Him on His throne, ruling as Kingpriests.

`To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame & sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.` (Rev. 3: 21 & 22)

`...& has made us kings & priests to His God & Father,...` (Rev. 1: 6)

This group of 24 elders are representative of the whole Body of Christ for the `sing a new song.` This means, I believe, that they testify of what Jesus has done for them.

`...the 24 elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, & golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying,

“You are worthy to take the scroll, & to open its seals; for you were slain, & have redeemed us to God by your blood out of every tribe & tongue & people & nation, & have made us kings & priests to our God; & we shall reign over the earth.” (Rev. 4: 10 & 11)

Note – to be out of `every tribe & tongue & people & nation,` would involve more than a group of `24.` Thus they are representative of the whole Body of Christ.

It really is beyond our human minds to comprehend such glory, however, I believe the by the Holy Spirit, we receive this wonderful revelation that where He is, then we shall also be with Him.

Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

The 24 elders are not 'beings' as such.

It is a vision, not something like a photograph. 

They represent the whole of God's people (24=12+12, the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 apostles of Christ), worshipping God in eternity and reigning with Him (hence the crowns). We are "a kingdom and priests to serve our God" (Revelation 5:10)