• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

If you were told to be vigilant/on guard spiritually, how would you explain how that is done?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Why would we be told to be vigilant and on guard and by whom?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Good question Pamelasv, & good answer simplejeff.

I agree. Watch our heart attitude & test `spirits` & what is taught.

Marilyn.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

If you were told to be vigilant/on guard spiritually, how would you explain how that is done?  

Pamela,

All the injunctions in Scripture to be vigilant and on guard relate to the constant spiritual battle that Christians have with their spirit enemies (Satan and all his evil spirit). It is outright warfare against our souls as well as our testimonies and lives. Just as in a real battle, no soldier can afford to fall asleep when under attack, believers cannot afford to be complacent about anything.  We have to keep a constant guard over our hearts, minds, and tongues, and not think, talk or act carelessly. Satan has a variety of strategies and tactics and we need to be aware of what they are (there is a thread devoted to that under Controversial Issues). Deception, intimidation, persecution, affliction, accusation, etc. are all applied to get us to become either confused or fearful. But God has provided us with the Sword of the Spirit (the Word of God).

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Good answers, thanks.  Maybe also weighing what you are doing at the moment,  conversations you are having with others.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Really like the answers given.

8)  Be sober, be viligant; because your adversary the devil as a roaring lion, walketh about. seeking whom he may devour.   9)  Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are n the world.  I Peter 5:8-9 

Our enemy the devil is out to get each of us as stated we should resist steadfast in our faith in Jesus Christ, any of us and I mean any of us can easily fall prey to the enemy, two recent stories dealing with one individual show this I really believe that Joshua Duggar is a born again Christian, but if all I knew about him were the two recent stories of molesting his sisters and a family friend than being caught in AM and Adultery the last thing I would call him is Christian.  Yet I believe if we were rapture today he would be caught with Jesus in the clouds, howbeit rather ashamed but saved nonetheless.

When even the great Apostle Peter failed we find out that lack of prayer was one of the main reasons; Matthew 26:40-41.   IMO and I know for a fact it is in my cast most believers do not know the true power of God because we don't really have a good pray closet.

But renewing our minds is very much needed as we are in a wicked world which will taint our minds and make us easy targets for the enemy.

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 8/16/2015 at 3:57 PM, Pamelasv said:

Dear sister Pamelasv,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

First of all, I agree with Sister Marylin.

On 8/16/2015 at 10:42 PM, Marilyn C said:

Good question Pamelasv, & good answer simplejeff.

I agree. Watch our heart attitude & test `spirits` & what is taught.

Marilyn.

To be vigilant means to be attentive to everything that Jesus is doing around us, as well as to the events that are unfolding in the world:

·        “And he said also to the people, When ye see a cloud rise out of the west, straightway ye say, There cometh a shower; and so it is. And when ye see the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat; and it cometh to pass. Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time? Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?” (Luke 12:54-57).

As Jesus said, we have to be able to interpret events on the basis of Holy Scripture.

We must also be ready so that when Jesus wants to use us for something, we can be ready regardless of where He wants to lead us and of the circumstance that will involve us:

·        “The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.” (John 3.8).

And the correct way of keeping watch is doing exactly what Jesus quoted in:

·        “Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.” (Mark 13:33-37).

·        “Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; and ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; the lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.” (Luke 12.35-46).

In short, we must be watching over our neighbor with love and affection, always mindful that when Jesus comes and knocks at the door of our hearts, we do not hesitate to open to Him.

May Jesus help us to be always attentive to what He wants to tell us and always with our loins girt and the candles lit so we can respond promptly to His call, regardless at the time and place.

Guest BacKaran

Doncha just love this site??????????????????❣????????❤

You are all amazing asking questions and answering, you give others much to think on! ?

Edited by BacKaran

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 8/16/2015 at 2:57 PM, Pamelasv said:

To be vigilant is to deliberately act in whatever you do to the glory of God. From the letter to the church at Corinth (1 Corinithians 10) comes this instructional conclusion, the most important point  being found in the last five words -"that they may be saved".  To be vigilant  is to always be giving good testimony in word and deed  of the saving grace and mercy of God extended through the sacrifice made willingly by  our Lord and savior Jesus. For as saints, brothers and sisters in the Lord,  it is the command to go into all the world sharing of the gospel of Jesus so that many may be presented  as mature in Christ that we each are to be vigilant to, in awareness  of opportunity and to realize that we  as saints are under challenge from the adversary Satan, as he attempts to accuse us before an unbeleiving world. To be vigilant is not so much to be on defense, but instead always on good offense :

..."or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God,  just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved."