IGNORED

Gifts and calling of God are irrevocable.

Pamelasv

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

I like the gifts part mentioned above.  If we are His, he will give good gifts.  From necessary physical to the spiritual.  Also, if He equips you for something, say you have the gift of evangelism, He plans to use that for a purpose.  It's all planned out.  Of course if we are following Him the plans happen.  Yet the one with the gift will always have this burden on their heart to want to evangelize people they see.  While some are prayer intercessors whom God prays thru to make things happen.  

If you follow Paul's argument I don't think this is what he has in mind.  I think the context shows that Paul has very specific things in mind.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Romans 11: 28-29

'From the standpoint of the gospel they (Israel) (not us adopted Israel) ( just in the case that somebody brings that up) are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers; for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.'

What exactly does mean.  I guess I understand the calling part, but not the gifts part. 

'

The Abrahamic covenants regarding the physical heirs of Abraham Isaac and Jacob are gifts from God. Abraham was unconscious as the furnace of the Lord passed between the pieces of the covenant sacrifice (meaning it was all God in the deal not Abraham, or a gift of God). This alone is what entitles the Jewish people to the holy land. The Abrahamic Covenants of God.

Edited by JohnD

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

As far as the calling being irrevocable... this is why I am personally convinced that Paul was the rich young ruler who went away sad because he had great wealth and status among the Jewish hierarchy. But the calling of the Lord to give all he had away and follow him eventually came to pass. And the fire of Paul's persecution of the Church prior to his conversion is typical human behavior to retaliate against that which we are running from in our own hearts.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,582
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

'From the standpoint of the gospel they (Isreal) (not us adopted Isreal) ( just in the case that somebody brings that up) are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers; for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.'

What exactly does mean.  I guess I understand the calling part, but not the gifts part. 

'

Shalom, Pamelasv.

What the verse simply means (if you’ll pardon the racial slur) is that God is not an “Indian giver!” That is, He doesn’t give and then take away. As far as the "calling of God" is concerned, it was when Moshe (Moses) told the children of Israel that God would make of them the "great nation” He promised to their Fathers, the “Patriarchs,” Avraham, Yitschaq, and Ya`aqov:

Exodus 4:29-31

29 And Moses and Aaron went and gathered together all the elders of the children of Israel:

30 And Aaron spake all the words which the LORD had spoken unto Moses, and did the signs in the sight of the people.

31 And the people believed: and when they heard that the LORD had visited the children of Israel, and that he had looked upon their affliction, then they bowed their heads and worshipped.
KJV

What were the “gifts?” Seriously?! 

Genesis 17:3-8

3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
KJV

Exodus 3:15-22

15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:

17 And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey.

18 And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The Lord God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.

19 And I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not by a mighty hand.

20 And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go.

21 And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty:

22 But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.
KJV

Exodus 6:1-8

1 Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land.

2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:

3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

4 And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers.

5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.

6 Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:

7 And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.

8 And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.
KJV

Romans 3:1-2

1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?

2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
KJV

Psalm 33:12

12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD: and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
KJV

That’s not just “any nation”; that is “THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL!"

Psalm 37:7-29

7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
12 The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
13 The LORD shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.
15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.
16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.
17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous.
18 The LORD knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.
19 They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of famine they shall be satisfied.
20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
21 The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.
22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.
26 He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.
27 Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.
28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.
KJV

Again, He is specifically talking about the righteous ones of the children of Israel, and “waiting upon the LORD” is as a WAITER “waits!"

Consider Ephesians 2:

Ephesians 2:11-22

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth (citizenship) of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus (in the Messiah Yeshua`) ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ (the Messiah).

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ (Yeshua` the Messiah) himself being the chief corner stone (the "head stone of the angle"; the “CAPSTONE");

21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
KJV

These are the “gifts!"

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

D

I like the AMP translation because I think it does a really good job of making clear what is meant in these passages:

“From the point of view of the Gospel (good news), they [the Jews, at present] are enemies [of God], which is for your advantage and benefit. But from the point of view of God’s choice (of election, of divine selection), they are still the beloved (dear to Him) for the sake of their forefathers.

For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable.  [He never withdraws them when once they are given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom He sends His call.]”

Now I think of that song, I don't remember the name, where the lyrics say 'you give and take away, blessEd be your name.'  I assumed that was in the bible somewhere.  I think Matt Redman sings that. 

D

I got an email where you asked me to explain my post above. NOw it seems the post isn't here. Did you delete it or would you still like the explanation?

D

I got an email where you asked me to explain my post above. NOw it seems the post isn't here. Did you delete it or would you still like the explanation?

on my cell phone my responses often seem abrupt, so I deleted it and then didn't re-ask.  But if you want to, go right ahead. 

D

on my cell phone my responses often seem abrupt, so I deleted it and then didn't re-ask.  But if you want to, go right ahead. 

If you follow his argument from chapter 2 where he begins to address the Jewish believers in the Church he argues that one is justified by faith and not the works of the Law. He points out the Abraham was justified by faith and not the Law. In chapter 9 he explains the promises that were made to the fathers, particularly Abraham. He goes on to explain how they are fulfilled in a portion of the Jews and not all of the Jews. His point is that the calling and gifts of God, those things He promised, will come to fruition. The calling and gifts he is referring to are those in the fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham 

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 8/22/2015 at 10:14 AM, Pamelasv said:

'From the standpoint of the gospel they (Isreal) (not us adopted Isreal) ( just in the case that somebody brings that up) are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice they are beloved for the sake of the fathers; for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.'

Dear sister Pamelasv,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

What is being discussed in Romans chapter 11 is whether physical Israel was once excluded before the Eternal or whether the Eternal still had a plan for the land of Israel.

Paul then shows that the call of the Eternal to Israel (to be a reference nation for physical worship), as well as the gifts that the Eternal bestowed upon them (the priestly ministry of the Levites, with all their rituals and offerings) would not be revoked as long as the heavens and the earth existed, by way of explanation, even unto the Last Judgment:

·        “Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: if those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.” (Jeremiah 31.35.36).

That is to say, Paul is saying that Israel would again be a nation (Israel was destroyed in 70 AD and rebuilt in 1948 AD) and, in the millennium, would again be the center of worship and dominion until it was confirmed that salvation only exists through of the grace of the Lord in Christ Jesus.

After the Last Judgment, then we will have new heavens and earth, and then the Levitical ministry will no longer have meaning and then it will disappear forever (Hebrews 8:13).

Finally, what is being said is that when the Eternal establishes something, He does not make it established in what men do or fail to do, but in the plan that He established before the foundation of the world (see 1 Peter 1.2; Ephesians 1:4, Hebrews 4:3, 1 Peter 1:20, Revelation 13: 8; 17: 8).

The gifts and the call that the Eternal made to Israel cannot be annulled by any man. Likewise, everything that comes out of the Eternal's mouth is fulfilled with total fidelity, regardless of the behavior of anyone (including the one who received the promise - Romans 9:16).