Sign in to follow this  
coheir

tight lids

I bought one of those special tools to help remove tight fitting lids from jars. It is some type of rubber and has groves to help grip the lid tight.

Well it just does not work well.

I found that if I use the thick rubber band that I get when buying celery it works much better and fits a wide varity of lids and so it makes me think it is some how a different rubber.

You should try this some time if you are having a hard time removing a lid.

I have one of thoe "EZ off jar openers" in my "saved for later" at Amazon, thats an under the counter, I havent tried it, but it looks so incredibly easy though.

I cant even find an electric can opener that works decent, I had a cheapy that worked for over 25 years. Recently I have purchsed two one for $19 and the other at over $40 and neither worked (either when it arrived) or much past opening a handful of cans. So we went manual, and I even had some trial and error with those, because I had to get a feel for which ones were best for that (then bought a handful of those).

Because they are probably the next disapointment to come. After manual doesnt work (good luck trying to get a can open) lol

Nothing made these days works well or lasts, and paying more these days doesnt even gaurentee anything more (tried that).

Edited by AFlameOfFire

I have not had an electric can opener for many years.I just open my cans the hard way with the manual ones.

I think you will like it.There has not been a jar that I have not been able to open yet.It will handle different size lids as well.But I do not use it very often because I have a guy around who usually gets my stubborn lids off. :)

pixel.gifthis one works every time

440_zps71opbu2k.jpg

Edited by other one

pixel.gifthis one works every time

440_zps71opbu2k.jpg

P-38 and/or P-51 ...  Love those.

I use a cheap gummy type rubber kitchen glove to open jar lids.  The more expensive ones are slippery and don't work as well.

Rubber gloves are also FANTASTIC as a pet hair remover on clothes and furniture and so much easier than a lint brush! 

I have one made of wood with a couple of hacksaw blades in it (examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=under+cabinet+jar+opener&biw=1024&bih=474&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIlsXg16bHxwIVgTGICh2PngcZ ) that mounts on the bottom of an upper kitchen cabinet. It is always handy and ready to go, works great and easily every time.

gatorgrippermounted.jpg

I also have had this kind  that you squeeze. It works o.k., but you have to dig it out of a drawer and it requires two hands and more effort.

Mirro-9636000a-Canning-Jar-Opener-Green2

When I was a child, my mom taught me two methods that require to special tools.

1. Get hot water running out of your kitchen sink faucet (wastes energy and water) and let the water run over the jar lid for a few moments. The heat makes the metal of the lid expand, reducing it's grip on the jar, or maybe the heat reduces the vacuum, I do not know, but it works.. Then you just twist it off with your hand. or-
  2. Hold the jar in one hand, and hold a dinner knife or a desert knife in the other hand. Hold the knife by the blate and use the handle of the knife to make some slight, glancing blows on the corner of the lid, tapping the lid in the direction that would want to make it unscrew. Typically after ten or so of those, the lid will unscrew by hand.

different-types-of-table-knives-l-3b2b29

I really like the under cabinet solution though, so handy, so easy, so effective.

Sign in to follow this