IGNORED

Acts 12:15 (Peter Mistaken for his Angel) My Answer

joejkljkl

Guest shiloh357

There is no doctrine in Scripture that we have personal angels.   Their statement only shows that these early believers still had a residue of Jewish superstitions that they had not managed to discard.  Nothing in the Bible indicates that God assigns our personal angel.

Bopeep, really?    You strain at gnats and swallow camels?

Jesus was talking about multiple children so there are multiple angels involved     "Their (multiple chidlren) angels (multiple angels)"

If he said  "their angel" then that would mean they all share ONE angel.    

He didn't say that.    He said  "their angels" meaning each one has their own in heaven beholding the face of God.

Do you really not understand now the English language works?

If you see a group of kids playing with their own balls, each one having their own ball, you would say   "their balls."

If you see a group of kids playing with one ball, you would say   "their ball."

"Their angels"   like "their balls"  each one has their own.

That makes no more sense than having a rally for all of the constituents in Texas and saying the term 'their Representatives' means that each and every one of us has our own in Washington.  There is NO scriptural evidence that we each have our own angel in Heaven. 

But they are the representatives of those particular constituents - their representatives -   and not the representatives of any other body of constituents and so those representatives are theirs (that is a possessive pronoun) and it means those representatives belong to them and are to pay attention to them exclusively.

I'm just at  a loss as to why simply rules of grammar don't apply to people's reading of the English language when it comes to their beliefs.

I'm at a loss as to what 'simply rules of grammar' means.  :rolleyes:

The proper use of words in relationship to each other, in this case, the use of the word  "their" in "their angels" consistent with its definition showing possession.    "their angels" means    "the angels that belong to them (the children)" just as "their balls" means  "the balls that belong to them"

They don't belong to anyone else.    They belong to them.

Yeah, no one but you knows how to use "proper English."   That's your lame crutch when you can't refute sound theology.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings,,,,,,

I do not know why there is debate over the English translation,the Greek word used is not  a possessive pronoun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by kwikphilly

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

Blessings,,,,,,

I do not know why there is debate over the English translation,the Greek word used is not  a possessive pronoun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Because the possessive best translates the Greek word αὐτῶν

A pronoun is a placeholder for who the pronoun refers to.

"Their"   "αὐτῶν"   refers to who Jesus introduced earlier in the discourse - a child, children.     

Mat 18:2

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

That he is using little children to make his point is made clearer by the next verse:

Mat 18:3

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Christ teaches how we are to become like little children.  He didn't say we become little children, but we are to be like them in the simplicity of our faith.

He goes on to warn about offending these little children

Mat 18:6

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Christ then goes on to teach about avoiding yielding our bodies to sin.

He then concludes with the verse in question here when he uses the pronoun  "their"  -  he first says 

Mat 18:10

Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

The entire time, the child Jesus set in the midst of them is there for them to see to make clear his words.

Not only are we to become LIKE a little child in the simplicity of our faith and trust in God, but  if one harms their faith, if one despises them,  then one faces terrible judgment.   So Jesus warns us to take heed to ourselves.  Why?   Because in heaven, their angels always behold the face of the Father.

Their angels

"their" is a placeholder for what was refered to before  - , little ones, children.

this means these two words can be rewritten this way:

• The little ones' angels
  • The children's angels

It makes no sense to say

• The little one angels.
  • The children angels.

The sense of the phrase is possessive.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

I am not going to be drawn into conflict with you over something that is settled and ove

:D

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.51
  • Days Won:  3

What paganism does in reference to angels, is it gives angels redemptive attributes.  In paganism, angels are intermediaries that we pray to.  They stand between us and God.   Angels are viewed as healers,  guides, dispensers of wisdom (Touched by an Angel TV show), as protectors/guardians and so on.

This is a very pagan and Gnostic view of angels.  The ancient Gnostics prayed to angels because they were viewed as minor gods and one had to pray to them rather than praying God Himself.   That Gnostic tradition is still alive and well today.   People still pray to angels for protection.  Even the archangel Michael is regarded as a "saint." 

The modern preoccupation with angels is very, very much a pagan holdover from ancient times. 

This need to depend on angels is Satanic.    Satan is an angel and this false teaching about angels is meant to take the focus off of Jesus.  Jesus is our healer, not angels.  Jesus is our protector, not Michael.   Jesus is our guide and our source of wisdom, not angels.   Everything Jesus is supposed to be for us, people are foolishly looking to angels to provide.

Well said brother.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

thereselittleflower

Glad you did receive what Shiloh & I tried to explain,,,,,,in your first post you interpreted what Jesus said as referring to children ,,,,,,it is not necessary to repeat what we said.as if we never said it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there is no use in going over the Greek text,the word you were debating was "their" ,not "children"

I do not debate & I really do not need any lessons in Koine Greek........there is nothing more to say here

Peace be with you                       With love in Christ,Kwik