IGNORED

Mom is against me and parter getting married

Guest Jmarey

Guest Jmarey

My mum is the traditonal catholic. I am raised catholic too. My dad isn't. He's baptist and as my mum calls it, protestant. 

My dad cheated on my mum and wasn't really treating her nice. They are still together though as my mum believes that separation and divorse is a sin. 

Now my boyfriend and I wanted to get married. He's a protestant too and unfortunately to my mum's dismay. She wanted me too get married in catholic church or else I'll go to hell. I personally just wanted a christian, non catholic wedding as i don't want to put an issue on our different religion. Afterall, we believe in the same God. And for me, religion only causes division and useless fights as i have seen between my parents. 

My mum is still so bitter and miserable with her marriage that she stereotypes non catholic as not good people. Therefore she expresses her disapproval on me marrying the one i love outside the catholic church as it is a sin. But is God that shallow? 

I dont really know how to reply to posts. But im 29,boyfie is 30. We both have jobs and i dont live with my parents anymore. I have migrated to another country. I dont have a house yet (we are still saving) but i pay my own rent and bills.

Edited by Jmarey
Dont know how to reply to posts

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

Explain to your mum that the Protestant churches are basically one with the Catholic church in doctrines, aims and finance.

Protestant churches have long since stopped protesting and in fact they have apologized for calling her the Antichrist.

Protestants have invented other Antichrists now, which number into thousands, I can't even remember the names of the last ones which passed away as humans do. I think the most recent target is Obama, but that's just a guess.

Actually Protestants practically don't exist at all, they are now "ecumenical" churches, which are run by the Catholic Church anyway. In fact nearly all modern religions both from the West and the East are branches of the Old Girl.

So calm your dear Mum down. And by the way, it won't hurt to do as she says. At least talk with her until you find out the real reason for her concern. I really doubt whether your boyfriend's religion is the issue. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

You have one post.I will address your question when you have more posts which is what Worthy requires.

Welcome to Worthy :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

How old are you?   Do you have your own place?   Does he have a good paying job and can he support your?   If you still live at home you need to obey and honor your parents according to the 10 commandments.  Do both of you have a real relationship with Jesus Christ?  Do you read your Bibles daily and pray to Jesus and the Father?.  Do you repeat prayers (Catholic) or do you talk to God from your heart as genuine Christians do?  I know many genuine Christians in the Catholic church who have a relationship with the Living God, and don't pray to saints but to God.  They confess their sins to God and believe they are forgiven based on the scriptures in 1 John 1.  They believe thay are saved based on Ephesians 2:8 and the book of Romans 10:9-10.  Your boyfriend needs to be doing these things as well;  when God is the center of a marriage, it can last because God is changing both of you to be more like Him and you are conforming your lives by surrendering them to the authority of the Scriptures.  

Guest Butero

My mum is the traditonal catholic. I am raised catholic too. My dad isn't. He's baptist and as my mum calls it, protestant. 

My dad cheated on my mum and wasn't really treating her nice. They are still together though as my mum believes that separation and divorse is a sin. 

Now my boyfriend and I wanted to get married. He's a protestant too and unfortunately to my mum's dismay. She wanted me too get married in catholic church or else I'll go to hell. I personally just wanted a christian, non catholic wedding as i don't want to put an issue on our different religion. Afterall, we believe in the same God. And for me, religion only causes division and useless fights as i have seen between my parents. 

My mum is still so bitter and miserable with her marriage that she stereotypes non catholic as not good people. Therefore she expresses her disapproval on me marrying the one i love outside the catholic church as it is a sin. But is God that shallow? 

I dont really know how to reply to posts. But im 29,boyfie is 30. We both have jobs and i dont live with my parents anymore. I have migrated to another country. I dont have a house yet (we are still saving) but i pay my own rent and bills.

If you are a Catholic at heart and he is not, this is not something you will want to take into a marriage.  You may not think so now, but it could cause problems down the road.  If you are not really a strong Catholic, and are looking to convert to your future husband's faith, I see nothing wrong with that.  You are an adult, and your Mother will have to accept it.  Still, you need to realize that this will put a strain on family relations, but that is really something you have to decide.  I wish you both the best. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

You need totalk to a Catholic priest or someone who does the marriage preparing in the Catholic Church.  There you will find out that your mom's view on what Catholicism and what Protestantism are is really off.    The Catholic Church does not teach that Protestants are going to hell.   But, most of all, you need to search your own heart and conscience to determine whether this marriage is right for you.  Are you sure that there are not other reasons why it may not work out.?  And, perhaps you need to talk to a Protestant minister with your boyfriend as well.  Either one will likely be helpful to both of you at this time in your decision making. 

It is sad about your mom's marriage situation and all to often happens when there are big differences in faith.  Good idea to make up your mind which way you want to go and make sure you partner in Christian marriage. which is a commitment and covenant beyond the partnership you share now.  The Christian view is that you do not enter into this lightly but consider it as a lifetime commitment regardless of how the present "easy" divorce culture considers it. 

Edited by seabrook
typos

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Praying~!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

This thread has sure gotten a lot of replies since the person has only one post.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

you can't blame the person....   they come here for help and what they get is condemnation....     and those of us who do that are going to have to justify it some day.........       Not the way those chosen in Matthew chapter 25 lived their lives....   hope you all are happy.    What chance will any of us have to help this person further..

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I think what Bopeep is saying is that we are told not to 'get into' issues with posters who have below 5 posts but then when they do present a valid need within their introduction to Worthy, what do we do with that?  At least she welcomed Jmarey, who hasn't replied to any of the posts, as she's not sure how (see her o.p.)  I would not say the other posts have been condemning; perhaps confusing at worst, but that doesn't help matters.

What shall we say then?

Welcome Jmarey, feel free to respond once you are able to.  We are not here to condemn you, and as some have already replied to you, you will know that you are already being prayed for.  Take courage that God works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes.

With love in Christ, Z