• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Matthew 7:21-23

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

At the last day when we stand in front of God in judgement, there will be people according to the verses above who will be convinced they got it right. They will be convinced they are going to be with the Lord forever, that they are saved and sadly they will be wrong. I find myself keeping going back to the part of Jesus answer that says " I never knew you " . It gets me wondering , what makes the relationship real? When does he know you and when does he not? How can these people not realize they got it wrong? It seem like this is saying that Jesus wants a relationship with us, but what kind of relationship does he want? How do we know we won't be one of the people in the above verses?  How do we know our relationship with Jesus is real and not just in our heads? 

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

How do we know we won't be one of the people in the above verses?  How do we know our relationship with Jesus is real and not just in our heads? 

Please read and study the first epistle of John.  That will provide you with all your answers.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Jesus goes on to describe those who will be able to call upon His name on the day of judgment. It will be those who hear His words and put them into practice, the same ones referred to in verse 21 as those who obediently do the will of the Father in heaven. True believers are the good trees that produce good fruit (Galatians 5:22-23), the true sheep who look to Christ, depend on Him, commit themselves to Him, trust in Him, and believe on Him for righteousness, salvation, and eternal life. These are the ones who will enter into the kingdom of heaven.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Matthew-7-21-23.html

Edited by bopeep1909

• Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

A Cautionary Tale

One day, a group of souls suddenly found themselves standing before the Gates of Heaven and Jesus was there before them.

Some appeared with great expectancy on their faces, others looked a little doubtful.

Jesus asked them all . . . "Did you do the will of My Father?"

One, smiling with expectancy, eagerly said "LORD! I cast out many demons in You Name!" Another shouted out, "LORD! I prophesied to many in Your Name!", and another declared "LORD! I did mighty deeds in Your Name!", and others started chiming in with all the wonderous things they had done in His Name. 

Some, though, were looking around, feeling like they were on the outside, because they had never really done any of these things. A few were looking down at the ground, not daring to look up.

Jesus held up His hands for silence.

After all the clamoring had died down, and everyone was waiting in silence, Jesus said to them 

"But did you do My Father's will?"

Now, puzzled expressions began to appear on the faces of those who had just jumped in declaring the great and mighty things they had done in Jesus' Name. No one said anything for a few moments. . . . . . Then one gathered up enough bravery to ask, "What do you mean? Didn't we do the Father's will when we did all these mighty and wonderful things?" Others began to join in adding their assent to the question that was perplexing them.

Jesus waited for the murmuring to die down. Then He asked:

"Did you give a glass of water to one of these little ones in My Name?"

He waited . . hands began to go up. The ones who had been so loudly proclaiming their mighty deeds, began to look around them, their perplextion growing.

"Did you give food to one of these little ones in My Name when they were hungry?"

More hand went up . . it was dead silent. Those who had first clamored so expectantly, grew even more perplexed as they looked around at those who were raising their hands.

"Did you clothe one of these little ones in My Hame when they were naked?"

Hands began to go up again . . Again, those who had so expectantly declared their mighty deeds at first, looked around a little concerned now, and very perplexed.

"Did you take in one of these little ones in My Name when they were a stranger?"

Again, in the silence, the soft sound of hands being raised was all that could be heard, and this time some of those who had first declared their mighty deeds, raised their hands too . . now with a more humble expression on their faces. The others looked on, some with a growing sense of alarm; but others with a confidence that even though they didn't understand what was going on, they didbn't need to worry about such "works", for they knew they were saved by grace through faith . .these works were totally unnecessary. A smugness began to settle over them as they thought they had everthing under control.

"Did you visit one of these little ones in My Name when they were sick?"

And the scene repeated itself as the soft silent sound of hands rising in the air answered. Those who had first been so sure in their expectancy, yet had never raised their hands, found themselves divided in their reactions to the unfolding situation. Some were showing signs of fear, realizing that something was indeed wrong, and though they tried to hide it, you could see it in their eyes. The others became even more certain they had nothing to fear, for they didn't believe in works. Works couldn't save, works couldn't justify one. They had nothing to worry about! And their smugness grew.

"Did you visit one of these little ones in My Name when they were in prison?"

Again, that silent, swoosh of hands rising in the air. Again, the look of fear in the eyes of some who had not raised their hands, and the look of smug confidence increasing in the eyes of those who didn't believe works did anything at all.

When the last hand was lowered, Jesus stood there in silence, looking at each one in turn. Some who had been worried right at first, even those who had looked at the ground because they had done no mighty works, now locked eyes with Jesus and saw His smiling at them and their eyes smiled back wrapped in peace and love. 

Those who had first bragged about their mighty deeds found they couldn't look Jesus in the eye, turning away when His eyes found theirs. Those who had smugly allowed themselves to feel confident because they "knew" that they needed no such works to be saved since faith was enough, found no smiles in Jesus' eyes for them, and could not keep their eyes locked on His. When they looked away, their eyes showed the first signs of real fear.

After all was done, Jesus spoke again:

"Those who raised your hands, come here to My right hand"

All those who had raised their hands made their way, peaceful and calm, to Jesus' right hand and stood there gazing on their Lord.

Then Jesus spoke again,

"Those who didn't raise your hands, come here and stand on My left."

Even though they were fearful of what this meant, and wanted to join the others on the right, they were compelled to obey. They gathered on His left, many nervous, some trembling.

When everyone was once again silently still, Jesus spoke again, first to those on His right, 

"When you gave one of these little ones water when they were thirsty, food when they were hungry, clothes when they were naked; when you took them in when they were a stranger, when you visited them when they were sick or in prison . . . 

Jesus paused, and looked at each and every one of those standing on His right, then He proceeded, softly and gently with great love .. .

" . . . . you did it unto Me."

They all gazed at Him with joyful awe, their faces radiant. . . . 

Jesus continued, booming with great joy . . 

"Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. Enter thou into the Joy of the Lord!"

And the gates of Heaven swung open with a mighty 'swoosh', followed by the angels who came out to usher them into heaven, with rapturous expressions, shining bright.

When all had entered, the gates of heaven closed, . . . the sound echoed in the silence.

Then Jesus slowly turned His attention to those on His left, with a look of deep sadness on His face. He looked at them and said.

"When you gave not one of these little ones water when they were thirsty, food when they were hungry, clothes when they were naked; when you took them not in when they were a stranger, when you visited them not when they were sick or in prison . . . 

Jesus paused, and looked at each and every one of those standing on His left; then He proceeded, clearly and uncompromisingly .. .

" . . . . you did it not unto Me."

Fear filled the hearts and minds of those standing there, looking at the stern face of the Lord. Those who had held, to the bitter end, on to their belief that one could not be saved by works, that works were absolutely unnecessary for one's salvation, were in utter confusion. Hadn't they done what Jesus wanted? They wanted to cry out again 'Look at our ministries! Look at our mighty deeds! Look at how the power of the Holy Spirit moved through us! We brought so many souls to You!' But they could say nothing.

Jesus just looked them in the eyes, and all they could find was sternness, like steel.

The words they dreaded to hear finally came . . 

Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Go away to eternal punishment!"

And in the suddenness of the moment, with weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, they found themselves flung far from Jesus and heaven . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . never to see either again.

A Cautionary Tale

Edited by thereselittleflower

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Many believe that they have Jesus in them who do not.  He has never known them.

They cast out many demons in Jesus name, they prophesied in Jesus name,  they did many wonderous works - miracles in Jesus name . . 

But Jesus was never in them?

That's not what Jesus is saying here.

They cast out many demons in Jesus name, they prophesied in Jesus name,  they did many wonderous works - miracles in Jesus name . . 

What do you think Jesus is saying here?

That we can fall from grace and lose our salvation if we do not do as Paul commands -  work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

That we can fall from grace and lose our salvation if we do not do as Paul commands -  work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

I do not agree I am a OSAS believer.I do not believe that a person who is a true born again believer can lose their salvation.There are many who only have a said faith.They are not saved.Those are the ones who Matthew 7 is talking about.

Edited by bopeep1909

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Where does it say they did these things?  I read where it says that they thought they did and were asking for confirmation but were denied.