• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

Hi all, as a fairly recent permanent resident tot eh US I find my self with a difficult time getting credit, I apparently am getting turned down for credit, even though I have a credit score of 776, although I have incurred some medical debt, this is due to not having a lot of credit history. In the next few years my wife and will will look into perching a home, yet for me it is hard to get credit, as I don't have much credit history. Our cable TV is in my name which is building credit, does anyone else know other ways for someone with limited credit history to build credit? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Check on the Dave Ramsey web site...   It's been a while since I was involved in a couple of his facebook groups, but there is a wealth of information within that group.    We have a long credit rating from Discover for we put almost everything on that card and make sure it's paid off at the end of the month "EVERY" month.   That kind of thing is what gives you the history.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Also, I heard a bank-account funded credit card. Use it only for small purchases, and pay it off EVERY month ( as OO said ). 

Some other factors;

1. Income to debt ratio at a reasonable %

2. Not reaching "high credit" on accounts ( maintain lower balances )

3. NEVER have a late payment

4. Make sure all information is correct.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

If your income is too low compare to the loan you are getting you are going to get turned down no matter how high your credit is. It seems like this is the case right now, you have too much debt relative to income, or the loan you want to get is too big. At your current credit score you should be able to get any loans.

Edited by udx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Some other factors;

1. Income to debt ratio at a reasonable %

2. Not reaching "high credit" on accounts ( maintain lower balances )

3. NEVER have a late payment

4. Make sure all information is correct.

That right there could really blow your credit.

Yes, very heavily weighted.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Hi all, as a fairly recent permanent resident tot eh US I find my self with a difficult time getting credit, I apparently am getting turned down for credit, even though I have a credit score of 776, although I have incurred some medical debt, this is due to not having a lot of credit history. In the next few years my wife and will will look into perching a home, yet for me it is hard to get credit, as I don't have much credit history. Our cable TV is in my name which is building credit, does anyone else know other ways for someone with limited credit history to build credit? 

You could go to your local bank and see if they would collateralize a loan for you.  For example, deposit $5K into a restricted account.  Borrow a percentage of that amount secured by the cash.  Make payments on time.  I am not advocating obtaining credit.  I am anti-Credit.  I am only showing one way it could be accomplished.

Yeah, the credit game. Unfortunately, folks have to have credit to buy a toaster these days.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Hi Saved Ricky! Sorry about your medical challenges.

Here's a brief explanation of credit scores.

35% of your score is determined by your credit history. Do you make payments on time or late?

30% of your score is determined by the amount you owe. Student loans, credit card balances, etc. all factor in here. Your utilization is often used as a measurement here. In other words, if you have a $10,000 limit and have a balance of $9,000 that's very high utilization of your credit.

15% of your score is determined by the length credit accounts. Older accounts typically have a positive impact versus accounts that have been open for a short time.

10% of your score is based on how much new credit you have applied, been approved for, or been denied. Also, applying for multiple accounts in the same industry within a short time can have a negative effect.

10% of your score is based on the types of credit in use. This could be a mix of credit cards, retail accounts, installment loans, finance company accounts, and mortgage loans.

The higher the credit score simply means you are borrowing money and paying it either on time or early. Typically, most people do this while paying interest.

Why do you want to build credit?

God bless,

GE