Needing some good advice

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

So these are somethings ive been battling and i want some good advice. I've been doing a lot of research lately (and probably the wrong kind) i get on YouTube and look up exposed video's...not sexual exposed but stuff like false prophets or ccm artist or Christian hip-hop or Christian rock bands who lead people down the wrong path. I get upset because i gave up secular music (which is good i know) but the artist i thought were good to listen to like lacrae or bizzle or young fly and saved or mercy me...the list goes on and on ..... some of the videos I've seen about them point out things such as satanic occult symbolism and I'm like great now i cant listen to these artists either. Am i wrong for buying in to this stuff or is it eye opening? I feel like its eye opening but same thing goes on for tv shows and televangelists. Ive googled false prophets and just about everyone i like creflo dollar and Joyce Meyer and Andrew Wolmack (dont think i got his last name spelled right) but some say their false too. I like watching those people when i cant get to church or be around Christian people. Im kinda like addicted to watching these videos so i know what to look out for. Theres another website called jesus-is-saviour.com that i find hard to believe but some of it makes sense. Ok on to another problem I'm dealing with.... i cant get off the perfectionist treadmill or stop having the legalistic mindset. I pray every night for God to help me with this. I know i cant force anyone to stop what their doing and i force my beliefs on people. I know people will tell me "you just gotta live and love like Jesus does and they'll want what you have" but i find that hard to do....most days i feel like a Pharisee and i definitely dont want that! I read the NT when i feel down and i pray for the Holy Spirit to give me understanding when i get into scripture but once again i find it hard to discern i want that gift too. I know God is working on me one way or another i just want to know how and how i can work with him. 

Thank you for your time and help 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

Well, I think that as a Christian it is important to test the spirits to see if they are from God (1 John 4:1).  Therefore, it is important for us to be discerning false teaching within the church.  However, we do not need to be dependent on other peoples interpretation of what false teaching is though either.  

Ideally, what you want to be able to do when you see these videos talking about false teachers, is dialogue with them so to speak.  You want to be able to follow the argument they are presenting to you, and form a conclusion based on your understanding of scripture-not theirs.  To do this will require a significant investment of your time in studying scripture in the beginning.  But, after you have some solid familiarity with scripture, defending the Gospel is just fun.  

Today, there are many different plans available that will help you set a goal for reading through the Bible.  I would like to suggest doing the 90-day Bible study at least once.  It is will really help you to discipline yourself to spend the time necessary in the scripture to really get something out of it.  I have done it twice and it definitely changed my life and changed the way I look at Bible study.  When you spend 90 days reading about 13 chapters a day, reading 13 chapters a week is no longer a chore.  It just feels like a much lighter load that I enjoy a lot more than before.  There is a schedule for it on Facebook, Biblegateway.com, and the Bible App on Android that I know of.  

Take care  :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

This is it in a nutshell.I have had to sacrifice and cut out a number of things in my life to be pleasing to God.

Philippians 4:8New International Version (NIV)

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

Im kinda like addicted to watching these videos so i know what to look out for.

Step #1 Pack away ALL your videos, lock them up and put them where you cannot access them easily. Now that you have created a “vacuum” fill it with STUDY OF THE SCRIPTURES.  Not merely reading but actually studying the Word of God.

i cant get off the perfectionist treadmill or stop having the legalistic mindset.

Step #2 There is nothing wrong with being a perfectionist.  The important thing to BELIEVE is that your perfectionism will not earn you any points with God. Christ was perfect on your behalf, and the perfect righteousness of Christ has been given to you as a gift if you have truly received Him as your Lord and Savior.

I pray every night for God to help me with this.

God has already answered this prayer. Read Matthew 11:28-30. BELIEVE IT.

I know i cant force anyone to stop what their doing and i force my beliefs on people. I know people will tell me "you just gotta live and love like Jesus does and they'll want what you have" but i find that hard to do....

God does not expect you to force your beliefs on anyone. And being a Christian is not exactly a piece of cake.  You won’t always have smooth sailing.  So just live and love like Jesus and don’t get stressed about it.

most days i feel like a Pharisee and i definitely dont want that!

None of us can claim to be absolutely perfect. But that does not mean that you should become lackadaisical either.

I read the NT when i feel down and i pray for the Holy Spirit to give me understanding when i get into scripture but once again i find it hard to discern i want that gift too.

Ask God for discernment and wisdom and He will grant it to you.  But without an in-depth study of His Word, you will not have either.

I know God is working on me one way or another i just want to know how and how i can work with him.

That is extremely positive. Working with God means (a) demonstrating unselfish love to others (b) sharing the Gospel with others, and (c) doing righteousness in every aspect of your life. Don’t complicate things for yourself. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I suffered from false beliefs that everyone was a false teacher and all music that didn't meet an absolute standard of so called purity was evil and a perfectionist mindset that inventoried everything and everyone around me for any perceived evil or wrong doing and it was driving me mad!

Christ made me free from that.  He showed me the error in what I was doing and just how unchristlike I had become.  Why couldn't I stop?  We reap what we sew and are judged by the same manner as we judge.  I fell into the trap of being one who went around judging everyone and everything I saw as unworthy and I was given over to a reprobate mind of judgementalism with a legalistic approach to everything. 

I learned that I wasn't truly qualified to judge.

Today I freely enjoy many things considered ungodly by the Pharisees of our Churches who believe they have the mind of God but condemn things they don't understand and remain blind because they say they can see.  Blasphemy is running rampant as many works of God are being called works of Satan and Gods people are being called wicked by their own brothers and sisters.  It is quite amazing to watch.  Soon we will know who God truly approves of for he will send his angels to bind the tares for burning and gather up his elect.

Learn what it truly means to be holy and you will find freedom from being judgemental because you will have better judgement.