• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it, and it seemed worth commenting on.

I suppose if you don't like something, doing it is a chore. If I did not like to eat, then eating would be a drag. That does not mean it is hard, is would just be something I did not want to do. If I enjoy eating, no one has to twist my arm.

Reading the Bible, should not be laborious. If you read the Bible 20 minutes a day, even 15, 10, if you read fairly fast, you will read the Bible in a year. Most people watch more TV commercials that that every day, I imagine, most of which are not that entertaining, especially after one has already seen them.

Personally, I do not like to read, not the Bible, not fiction, not instruction manuals, not ingredients on a package of food. I think all reading feels like a chore.

Washing the dishes, is a chore. Doing the laundry is a chore. The one thing these chores have in common, is that I benefit from doing them.

The Bible is not different in these respects. On the other hand, if I get a letter, or an email from a friend, I am happy to read what they have to say to me. Similarly, there is One who loves me more, that all my friends combined, and He was willing, and did, die for me. Seems only fair, and natural, that I would want to hear from Him, and spend at least a little time, listening to what He has to say to me. Just like these other "chores", this also benefits me.

I like the eating analogy, but How do you feel about broccoli vs doughnuts? 

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

53 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I like the eating analogy, but How do you feel about broccoli vs doughnuts? 

My wife and daughter became vegans a few years ago..........     Most of the time I don't mind, but sigh.....  there are times I simply want a bacon cheeseburger....  Sometimes eating is a chore now but then hunger gets the best of me. ;) 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

My wife and daughter became vegans a few years ago..........     Most of the time I don't mind, but sigh.....  there are times I simply want a bacon cheeseburger....  Sometimes eating is a chore now but then hunger gets the best of me. ;) 

Wait. Where did you say that YOU became a vegan? ;)

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Wait. Where did you say that YOU became a vegan? ;)

:)   My wife's become serious about it.   On one of our trips up here to see houses there was a transport vehicle with a bunch of pigs in the back squealing away sitting at the rest area.  On the way back to the car she started crying and my daughter is more serious about it than she is.  I gave up trying to discuss the subject and now just I try to be sensitive about it.

I s'pose there might be an analogy in there somewhere with regard to bible reading...   

• Loved it! 1

14 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

:)   My wife's become serious about it.   On one of our trips up here to see houses there was a transport vehicle with a bunch of pigs in the back squealing away sitting at the rest area.  On the way back to the car she started crying and my daughter is more serious about it than she is.  I gave up trying to discuss the subject and now just I try to be sensitive about it.

I s'pose there might be an analogy in there somewhere with regard to bible reading...   

Dang, that makes me hungry for a BLT!

My son-in-law and his dad are part of a co-op in South Dakota that has a couple of huge sheet metal buildings filled with pigs. they grow to a certain size and then they are carted off to another facility that grows them to full size. After they clear one heard, they sterilize the interior and let the next batch in. Humans are not allowed inside except for special circumstances. This is not to protect the humans. It's to protect the pigs. 

And yeah. They have one of those multi acre "brown" ponds of pig poop. They have a huge tractor that drags a large hose around that siphons the liquid poop out and sprays it on the fields for fertilizer. It's pretty amazing, actually. 

I like my bacon extra crispy, BTW. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/30/2015 at 2:01 PM, Openly Curious said:

Let me tell you when you read in Numbers dealing with the cenuses that was being taken and reading through all the begats it is really hard to get through all of that as it is really long sometimes you just have to push on through and fight it.

Ahh yes, I thought all those lineages and begat's were sort of dry reading too.  But they're critical to establish genealogies and blood lines. There's surprises and nuggets there also.

Every name in the Hebrew language means something and has an idea associated with it. Take the detailed and correct names of the first TEN generations from Adam to Noah. Write the meaning next to their names and read it all as in a sentence and see what you come up with. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Dang, that makes me hungry for a BLT!

My son-in-law and his dad are part of a co-op in South Dakota that has a couple of huge sheet metal buildings filled with pigs. they grow to a certain size and then they are carted off to another facility that grows them to full size. After they clear one heard, they sterilize the interior and let the next batch in. Humans are not allowed inside except for special circumstances. This is not to protect the humans. It's to protect the pigs. 

And yeah. They have one of those multi acre "brown" ponds of pig poop. They have a huge tractor that drags a large hose around that siphons the liquid poop out and sprays it on the fields for fertilizer. It's pretty amazing, actually. 

I like my bacon extra crispy, BTW. 

After all of this......How on Earth could you have an appetite for “ anything?”......... even if it is mmmmmm....BACON !    Lol

On 9/30/2015 at 3:26 PM, xyluz said:

:)

Actually, it doesn't feel like a chore to me..

I hope I don’t come across as sanctimonious , but I’m really surprised to see the lack of enthusiasm for Bible reading. I never had any interest in the Book for most of my life.Two things changed that for me —- first I got saved, secondly I found The Living Bible lying around at the place I used to work . I could not put it down.Every other page, it seemed, revealed amazing things about God’s Word that I was never told in church. I read the entire Bible and enjoy every minute of it.Some Books I will probably never read again.Other like Romans and Galations I have probably read 50 Times.I don’t understand at all the concept of setting aside time for Bible reading....I will go days without touching it and then read entire books at one setting and still be dazzled by all the good news on every page .If you wrote a book and you found out people would not read it unless they felt obligated to,wouldn’t you Just as soon they threw it away?The last thing I want to do is to offend but in all honesty, if one does not have a love and a hunger for God’s Word, something is amiss.

8 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

After all of this......How on Earth could you have an appetite for “ anything?”......... even if it is mmmmmm....BACON !    Lol

They say that if you like sausage, you don't want to tour a sausage making plant. I'm different. I literally see these animals as "meat walking around". Heck, as a child I used to eat dry dog food to "impress" my friends. I've even eaten insects. It's all food to me and I see my stomach and body as an amazing nano-tech factory that strips the atoms from molecules to manufacture the actual molecules my body needs to both get the energy it needs and strengthen and repair the various body parts. 

In a way, I see all food as gasoline and my body as a car. Except almost all of it tastes good, though some foods are an acquired taste. e.g. goat cheese. :)

• Loved it! 1

33 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

They say that if you like sausage, you don't want to tour a sausage making plant. I'm different. I literally see these animals as "meat walking around". Heck, as a child I used to eat dry dog food to "impress" my friends. I've even eaten insects. It's all food to me and I see my stomach and body as an amazing nano-tech factory that strips the atoms from molecules to manufacture the actual molecules my body needs to both get the energy it needs and strengthen and repair the various body parts. 

In a way, I see all food as gasoline and my body as a car. Except almost all of it tastes good, though some foods are an acquired taste. e.g. goat cheese. :)

You are a sick, sick man.......lol

• Haha 1