• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 

2Chorinthians 9:7

What is giving under compulsion?  I think I asked this last year, and I don't remember. Lol.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

Giving under compulsion is basically giving under duress. People saying you "have" to give or you're under some curse of God, etc. That kind of thing. You hear it a lot from prosperity preachers and some main line denominations here in the US when the giving drops off. I've had to listen to whole sermons on that stuff off and on over the years and I rarely go back. Giving is not forced in the NT. It is voluntary and out of gratitude for what God has done for us, and that's where the cheerful part comes in. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 

What is giving under compulsion?  I think I asked this last year, and I don't remember. Lol.

I believe Mormons give under compulsion, since they are obligated to tithe or suffer the consequences. BTW there is a difference between tithing and Christian liberality, but that is another issue.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

Here are various translations that will help give the sense of this verse:

New International Version
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

New Living Translation
You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

English Standard Version
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Berean Study Bible
Each one should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not out of regret or compulsion. For God loves a cheerful giver.

Berean Literal Bible
each as he purposes in the heart, not out of regret or of necessity. For God loves a cheerful giver.

New American Standard Bible 

King James Bible
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Each person should do as he has decided in his heart--not reluctantly or out of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. 

International Standard Version
Each of you must give what you have decided in your heart, not with regret or under compulsion, since God loves a cheerful giver.

NET Bible
Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Every man according to what he is in his mind and not according to grief or of compulsion, for God loves the joyful giver.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Each of you should give whatever you have decided. You shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give, since God loves a cheerful giver.

New American Standard 1977 
Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.

Jubilee Bible 2000
Each one according as they purpose in their heart, so let them give, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

King James 2000 Bible
Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver.

American King James Version
Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver.

American Standard Version
Let each man do according as he hath purposed in his heart: not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Every one as he hath determined in his heart, not with sadness, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 

Darby Bible Translation
each according as he is purposed in his heart; not grievingly, or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

English Revised Version
Let each man do according as he hath purposed in his heart; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Webster's Bible Translation
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or by constraint: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Weymouth New Testament
Let each contribute what he has decided upon in his own mind, and not do it reluctantly or under compulsion. "It is a cheerful giver that God loves."

World English Bible
Let each man give according as he has determined in his heart; not grudgingly, or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.

Young's Literal Translation
each one, according as he doth purpose in heart, not out of sorrow or out of necessity, for a cheerful giver doth God love, 

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

A Baptist church I used to attend had us pledge to tithe when we became members.  But this is something I wanted to do anyhow.  But my hubby saw the legalism and refused to join.

It is like the difference between praying because we love to be in communion with Abba Daddy, or praying because someone is forcing to do it as part of punishment.  You eagerly give off the top of the pay check because you believe in the mission and purpose of the church, because you want to bless it and support the pastoral staff, and because your act of obedience is a form of worship--giving yourself totally to God, a living sacrifice... Or else you give what's left over because it is expected of you to give.  Some people consider it paying their dues like it is a membership fee.  And that is what some churches make it.

For years we were told that God wouldn't bless us unless we gave.  That is also compulsion.  The last time we visited that denomination the pastor had people come forward and leave money on the stage if they wanted a blessing, and if they wanted a bigger blessing they were to come again and leave more money.  That was the whole service.  No sermon.  I can't help but thinking of Christ and the money changers and turning a house of prayer into a den of thieves.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

A Baptist church I used to attend had us pledge to tithe when we became members.  But this is something I wanted to do anyhow.  But my hubby saw the legalism and refused to join.

It is like the difference between praying because we love to be in communion with Abba Daddy, or praying because someone is forcing to do it as part of punishment.  You eagerly give off the top of the pay check because you believe in the mission and purpose of the church, because you want to bless it and support the pastoral staff, and because your act of obedience is a form of worship--giving yourself totally to God, a living sacrifice... Or else you give what's left over because it is expected of you to give.  Some people consider it paying their dues like it is a membership fee.  And that is what some churches make it.

For years we were told that God wouldn't bless us unless we gave.  That is also compulsion.  The last time we visited that denomination the pastor had people come forward and leave money on the stage if they wanted a blessing, and if they wanted a bigger blessing they were to come again and leave more money.  That was the whole service.  No sermon.  I can't help but thinking of Christ and the money changers and turning a house of prayer into a den of thieves.

Do  you know what the bible says about gain and godliness?  It's not what these preachers preach that's for sure:

1Ti 6:5

Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

2 Corinthians Chapters 8-9 are talking about giving money to those in need within the church.

I don't see how it can be read any other way.

So if the money you give the local church pays a pastor's salary and administration costs, such as upkeep of the building and grounds, and a mortgage, then these chapters really do not apply.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎36‎:‎42‎, Pamelasv said:

When one examines this under the whole of Scripture only one result can be deduced:
God is not keeping any of first creation substance thus to be given the ability to transform that which is not
being kept to that which is -is the true riches God speaks about in last of days... the idea that I can take money
and purchase/use in such a way to buy riches that will pass thru the fire of God's refining for eternal reward  should
cause all of us to invest in everything now toward then... I guess the ones who do not-> really don't believe what God
is saying about all He intends on doing :noidea:  
Pr 8:18-19
Lk 12:33
Lk 18:22
Eph 3:8
Jas 2:5
Rv 3:18
Love, Steven

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.45
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 10/1/2015 at 9:36 PM, Pamelasv said:

Dear sister Pamelasv,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

When we are going to offer something to Jesus, be it our time, material goods, etc., we should not do this:

Reluctantly, that is, afraid that tomorrow we can need of this.

Under psychological pressure, that is,

o   By the sadness that comes with the fear that, if he does not offer, the "God's hand will weigh";

o   By necessity which induces a person to want to believe that the more he offers to the Eternal, the more He will be bound to give (distorting Proverbs 19:17).

The truth is that our whole life has to be an offering to Jesus, certain that without Him we will never be able to do something good in our life. That is, we offer to Jesus because we want every gift and talent that He has placed in our hands to be used for the glory and honor of His name in favor of the neighbor that He placed in our lives.

May Jesus help us to see the privilege of having the right to give Him everything, instead of being condemned to squander His blessings on our selfish pleasures that bring cursing only to those around us.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I've heard more than one pastor say if parishioners don't tithe they're not in the will of God. Nor shall they be blessed.