• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What is the New Jerusalem?"

Answer: 
The New Jerusalem, which is also called the Tabernacle of God, the Holy City, the City of God, the Celestial City, the City Foursquare, and Heavenly Jerusalem, is literally heaven on earth. It is referred to in the Bible in several places (Galatians 4:26Hebrews 11:1012:22–24; and 13:14), but it is most fully described in Revelation 21.

In Revelation 21, the recorded history of man is at its end. All of the ages have come and gone. Christ has gathered His church in the Rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:15–17). The Tribulation has passed (Revelation 6—18). The battle of Armageddon has been fought and won by our Lord Jesus Christ (Revelation 19:17–21). Satan has been chained for the 1,000-year reign of Christ on earth (Revelation 20:1–3). A new, glorious temple has been established in Jerusalem (Ezekiel 40—48). The final rebellion against God has been quashed, and Satan has received his just punishment, an eternity in the lake of fire (Revelation 20:7–10.) The Great White Throne Judgment has taken place, and mankind has been judged (Revelation 20:11–15).

In Revelation 21:1 God does a complete make-over of heaven and earth (Isaiah 65:172 Peter 3:12–13). The new heaven and new earth are what some call the “eternal state” and will be “where righteousness dwells” (2 Peter 3:13). After the re-creation, God reveals the New Jerusalem. John sees a glimpse of it in his vision: “The Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband” (Revelation 21:2). This is the city that Abraham looked for in faith (Hebrews 11:10). It is the place where God will dwell with His people forever (Revelation 21:3). Inhabitants of this celestial city will have all tears wiped away (Revelation 21:4).

The New Jerusalem will be fantastically huge. John records that the city is nearly 1,400 miles long, and it is as wide and as high as it is long—a perfect cube (Revelation 21:15–17). The city will also be dazzling in every way. It is lighted by the glory of God (verse 23). Its twelve foundations, bearing the names of the twelve apostles, are “decorated with every kind of precious stone” (verse 19). It has twelve gates, each a single pearl, bearing the names of the twelve tribes of Israel (verses 12 and 21). The street will be made of pure gold (verse 21).

The New Jerusalem will be a place of unimagined blessing. The curse of the old earth will be gone (Revelation 22:3). In the city are the tree of life “for the healing of the nations” and the river of life (verses 1–2). It is the place that Paul spoke of: “In the coming ages [God] might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:6). The New Jerusalem is the ultimate fulfillment of all God’s promises. The New Jerusalem is God’s goodness made fully manifest.

Who are the residents of the New Jerusalem? The Father and the Lamb are there (Revelation 21:22). Angels are at the gates (verse 12). But the city will be filled with God’s redeemed children. The New Jerusalem is the righteous counter to the evil Babylon (Revelation 17), destroyed by God’s judgment (Revelation 18). The wicked had their city, and God has His. To which city do you belong? Babylon the Great or the New Jerusalem? If you believe that Jesus, the Son of God, died and rose again and have asked God to save you by His grace, then you are a citizen of the New Jerusalem. “God raised [you] up with Christ and seated [you] with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:6). You have “an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade” (1 Peter 1:4). If you have not yet trusted Christ as your Savior, then we urge you to receive Him. The invitation is extended: “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come!’ Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life” (Revelation 22:17).

http://www.gotquestions.org/new-jerusalem.html

Edited by bopeep1909

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,185
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Montana Marv,

I can quite understand why you would think as you do, just reading the scriptures in Rev. 21 & 22, however we need to read them in the light of what God says throughout His word.

1. `God Himself will be with them…` (Rev. 21: 3)

Now we know that `God is a Spirit..` (John 4: 24) & thus it is by His Spirit that God the Father will be with those in the New Jerusalem. However, God the Son who has a glorified body will be there in person.

2. `The throne of God & of the lamb shall be in it, & His servants shall serve Him. They shall see His face…` (Rev. 22: 3 & 4)

We also know from God`s word that He is `invisible` (1 Tim. 1: 17) whom no one can approach or see. This refers to God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.

`who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see,….` (1 Tim. 6: 16)

Thus to see His `face,` Gk. `prosopon,` meaning the visage, & by impl. presence. So those servants in the New Jerusalem will know the presence of God by His Holy Spirit. Yet they will be able to see the glorified Christ in person. Remember Jesus said, `He who has seen me has seen the Father.` (John 14: 9)

3. `The throne of God & of the lamb shall be in it…` (Rev. 22: 3)

Notice that the New Jerusalem comes down `out of heaven FROM GOD.` (Rev. 21: 2)  We need to remember that God dwells `in unapproachable light.` (1 Tim. 6: 16) Thus this city comes down from God, & has His authority there. The word throne implies authority & power, & rulership.

4. God the Creator. `The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator…` (Isa. 40: 28)

We know that God created all things & that He will make them new. However this is not the extent of His ability to create. There are ages to come in which -

`eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.` (1 Cor. 2: 9)

As humans we can enter into creating with God – children…. So it is I believe that in the ages to come God would have His sons & daughters work with Him in the creative process.

Marilyn

The New Jerusalem AS a bride ADORNED....docx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,134
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

Marilyn

Your # 4 is totally false.  A thread of Mormon doctrine in what you imply.

In Christ

Montana Marv

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, Marilyn. 

Hi Retro,

So amigo, do you think you`ll like to live in this multi-level high rise? What about the mountains, the lakes, the rivers & meadows?

For me personally I`m going for the super space realm where we can go through dimensions, realms & be part of creating with God in the ages to come.

Marilyn. 

Well, first of all, I would LOVE to live in God’s Home. Yes, even a multi-level high rise! In fact, ESPECIALLY a multi-level high rise! Have you considered the intricate cascading waterfalls that would exist in such an environment? Besides, how would YOU picture the volume of a three-dimensional cube being utilized, even if it were a satellite? 1,500 miles x 1,500 miles x 1,500 miles is STILL a 

God’s PARK of trees (Hebrew: Pardeec = Greek: Paradeisos = English: Paradise), which will include the species called the "Tree of Life,” will be throughout the city wherever the street of the city runs. In the median of the street, both the River of the Water of Life and the Park on either side of the river will exist.

Besides, you can think of it this way: If the New Jerusalem will be God’s House, the New Earth will be God’s BACK YARD! Where COULDN’T you go to experience it all?! The earth was created for mankind, and mankind was created for this earth! After the Creation was completed what did God call it?

Genesis 1:30

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
KJV

If a perfect God declared everything He had made “very good” at the end of Day 6, then guess what! Everything that He had made and how He made them and how they interacted and the symbiosis between them were all PERFECT as created!

God is the SOURCE of all of humanity’s ingenuity and invention! Many inventors and scientists have recognized that they wouldn’t have been able to do anything without God’s inspiration and intervention. Men like Alexander Graham Bell, George Washington Carver, and Sir Isaac Newton to name a few have given God the credit for their discoveries and innovations.

Never think for a moment that God is static! He is a DYNAMIC God with infinite variety and boundless imagination that becomes reality!

Don’t ever think that we’re “going to heaven and living happily ever after” as though that’s it! (But then, I don’t think you think that way at all.)

We are not told what God has in store for us after the New Earth, the New Sky, and the New Jerusalem of Revelation 21 & 22 are fulfilled. However, one MUST understand that the Third Earth, the Third Sky, and the New Jerusalem come a THOUSAND YEARS after Yeshua`s return.

So, what happens during that time? After all, a THOUSAND YEARS is a very long time! (It’s a LOT longer than the mere 7 years that most fight about.)

Hi Montana Marv,

Oh, I don`t mean like that. As humans we help create children but in eternity we do not have children. What I meant was that we can enter into creating - like on earth we can create a garden, but only God creates the original elements. In eternity we can `create` with what God will originally create.

Marilyn.

Hi Retrobyter,

Some good points there bro. I do like your description (though I think differently). I also believe, as you do that God made people to dwell on the earth & sin will not put an end to God`s purpose there. So my question to you is - Some people will be on the earth with bodies as Adam before the fall, so why do we (the Body of Christ) have different bodies that go through dimensions, if we are just on the earth?

Marilyn.

Hi Montana Marv,

Oh, I don`t mean like that. As humans we help create children but in eternity we do not have children. What I meant was that we can enter into creating - like on earth we can create a garden, but only God creates the original elements. In eternity we can `create` with what God will originally create.

Marilyn.

Marilyn

Unbelievers help create children.  Animals help create their kind.  It is called continuation of the species.

You are suggesting Mormonism: 'As God once was, so we shall be'

In Christ

Montana Marv

Hi Montana Marv,

I` not sure you are reading my comments rightly. Do you `create` things out of what God has made? Of course you do. Well in the ages to come we will not be static, but `creative,` in the sense of using, what God will create &then make things out of those.

Marilyn.

Hi Montana Marv,

I` not sure you are reading my comments rightly. Do you `create` things out of what God has made? Of course you do. Well in the ages to come we will not be static, but `creative,` in the sense of using, what God will create &then make things out of those.

Marilyn.

Marilyn

We do that now.  You have no idea of what exactly we will be doing.  You are just dreaming.

In Christ

Montana Marv

Hi Montana Marv,

As I`ve said before `eye has not seen...`  But what we do know is that -

`When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.` (Col. 3: 4)

And Christ`s life is one of fruitfulness, servant hood, stewardship, heirship, teacher, brother, friend, holy one, priest, king, judge, priest, citizen, son,.....& we shall share in His life with Him.

Marilyn.