• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

This will be too long to interest most of you, but it is a Topical study, and as it is, I left things out. It was prepared for a live, in class study, not as a Forum post.

Bible Study Notes – All verses NIV
Discipleship/Evangelism 10/10/2015 – Omegaman 3.0

We may not be able to get through all of this material, I am not well known for keeping things short. However, if we do not get through all of this in our discussion, you may follow through on you own with the rest of the material.

Matt 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

“Make disciples” is the Greek word “mathēteusate“, (math-ayt-yoo'-sayt-eh) to disciple (as a verb), IE. helping someone to progressively learn the Word of God to become a matured, growing disciple (literally, "a learner," a true Christ-follower); to train (develop) in the truths of Scripture and the lifestyle required, IE. helping a believer learn to be a disciple of Christ in belief and practice. (from Helps Word Studies)

Notice in v. 19 that these disciples, are to be baptized, so we are talking about believers here not merely people who learn about things (students).

Question 1. What commands did Jesus give in verse 19?

Question 2. What command did He issue in verse 20?

Question 3. If disciples are to make disciples, and they are to be taught to obey commands . . . then what things are we (as disciples) also told to do in obedience?

Question 4. If disciples are to make more disciples, and teach them to obey everything that Jesus commanded, is merely telling someone a basic Gospel message, really fulfilling this great commission?

When we tell others about Jesus and His Gospel, we refer to this as evangelism. Sometimes we call this witnessing. The word “evangelist” comes from the Greek word “euangelion” or “euagglion” (yoo-ang-ghel'-ee-on).

Question 5. What 5 letter English word do we see in both “evangelist” and in “euangelion”.

Question 6. That word, comes from the Greek word “angelon”. What does that word mean or what is it that an 'angelon' does?

The prefix in 'euangelion', “eu” it means common (as in common, not ordinary) or good. So, an evangelist, is one who brings a message of good news.

Romans 10:14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

So we have seen that disciples, us, have been commanded by the Lord Himself, to make more disciples, and that this means not only bringing them good news, but teaching them everything He taught his Apostles, to obey.

Question 7. If we do not do that, which better describes us?:

a. obedient followers

b. rebellious excuse makers

Back to the topic of “good news”, we sometimes call that the Gospel. According to Easton's Bible Dictionary, the word gospel is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, and meaning "God's spell", IE., word of God, or rather, according to others, "good spell", IE., good news. It is the rendering of the Greek evangelion, IE., "good message." It denotes (1) "the welcome intelligence of salvation to man as preached by our Lord and his followers.

When we see the word “gospel” in the Bible, it is a translation of that same Greek word, that we get the idea of evangelist and evangelism from. They are extremely linked ideas.

When Jesus tells us to make disciples, and to teach them to obey everything that He told the Apostles, we need to consider that Jesus told the apostles to preach His gospel. Therefore, He has commanded us also, to be evangelists.

Eph 4:11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Question 8. According to Eph 4:13, at what point is Christ's gift of evangelists, for the equipping of His people for works of service and the building up of the body of Christ finished? Are we there yet?

Some see that evangelists are a gift, then say “I do not have the gift of evangelism.” Now it could be argued whether “evangelism” is a gift, or if only “evangelists” are a gift. People have seen this both ways. Let's look though at what Paul said to Timothy in 2 Tim 4:

3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Question 9. According to verse 3 and 4, of 2 Tim 4,what will happen?

Question 10. Has that time come, do you think?

Question 11. Can you think of any of these doctrines that tickle or scratch itching ears? Name a few.

Question 12. What can we do to counteract these false teachers?

Question 13. In verse 5, do you see the word “gift” anywhere?

Question 14. In verse 5, what sort of work is to be done?

Question 15. Is it possible to do the work of an evangelist without being specifically gifted in that?

Question 16. What sorts of things, do you believe hinder people from doing the work of an evangelist?

Question 17. What are some ways we could overcome these issues?

Question 18. What do you think the Gospel actually is? What is it that we need to be telling people?

Question 19. Part of Jesus great commission that we looked at in the beginning, included us teaching the disciples we make, everything He taught. Does standing on a corner with a bullhorn, or leaving a gospel tract with someone, accomplish this part of Jesus command?

Question 20. If not, what are some ways we compensate for that shortcoming?

One thing that the bible tells us also, is the idea of preparation.

1 Pet 3:15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Question 21. What is the first thing we are told to do in the above passage? What is the second thing we are told to do and in what manner are we to do this?

2 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Question 22. How does 2 Tim 2:15 relate to 1 Pet 3:15? How much effort does the Timothy verse imply?

That word “reason” in 1 Pet 3:15 is a translation of the Greek word “apologian”, we get our word apology from this. However, this does not mean to say “I am sorry”. It means to provide a defense – that is to say to present a reasoned case, as an attorney would in a trial. We also get our word “apologetics” from this. Apologetics, the science of defending ideas, Christian apologetics, is a sub-species of evangelism. However, it is a back-up to witnessing, It is a legal term, just as the word witness is a legal term. Witnesses, give testimony to what they know. That is where we start. We testify of Jesus, and when necessary, we defend our faith, but always circle back to the gospel, and not be distracted from what our hearer really needs.

Jesus, is the issue, being able to defend how all of the animals could fit on the ark is getting side tracked, and will not win anyone to the gospel.

There are other ways not to to evangelize. You may have heard someone say, perhaps you have said it yourself:

“Preach the Gospel, if necessary, use words”. Some believe that if they just live their lives in a holy way, people will see Jesus in them. There is a technical, theological term for this: “Horse feathers”. No one is going to see you order a diet cola at a restaurant when they order a glass of wine and think: “Gee, this person is really different, I think I will give my life to Jesus!”

It is a great idea to live a holy life, failing that does tend to discredit your message, but success at it, will not convince someone of the truth of the gospel, let alone inform them of what the gospel is.

Similarly, a rational person can look at the marvelous design and vastness of the universe, and reasonably conclude that there must be a brilliant and powerful creator. That means they have no excuse not to seek God, but it does not reveal what God requires of us, that is where we come in, that is our job, to present the problem, and provide the answer.

So, preach the Gospel, if necessary, use words. However, realize that in order to preach the Gospel, words are always necessary. Living it out is also necessary, in order to add credibility to the message. When we fail to proselytize, we are demonstrating that we do not take our faith seriously, because we are disobedient to our God. We are also demonstrating that we do not care enough about others, to put out a little effort to insure that they are adequately informed to inherit eternal life.

Question 23. What are two things you can do, to either increase your efforts at evangelism, of make yourself more effective at evangelism?

Question 24. If the gospel is “good news:, is there also bad news? What is the bad news? Should people be told the bad news as well? Why or why not?

Question 25. Do you personally, feel, that you do not know enough about the Bible or how to defend your faith? Was there a time, when you did not know how to drive a car? What changed?

More to think about

Penn Jillette, atheist, said something very profound and haunting:

I’ve always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward—and atheists who think people shouldn’t proselytize and who say just leave me alone and keep your religion to yourself—how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?”

Roman 1:14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome. 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the Godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Matt 10:32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.

Some Final Thoughts

What we have seen, is that it is not our job to save people. It IS out job to tell them. We have seen that it is not optional, it is a command. We may understand that God chooses people for salvation, apart from our efforts, and be tempted to conclude, that God does not need us. It is true that God does not need us, but He has given us the task to preach to everyone. We do not know who the chosen are, that is why we need to get the message to all.

We should not see this, as a chore, we should see it as a privilege to be included in God's plan, to be used for His purposes and His glory.

Do not be anxious, just trust the Lord, and be obedient. He can bring the right things to say to mind at the right time. How much better though, if you take the trouble to prepare and learn about the things you need to say. Memorizing scripture, and apologetic techniques and information, is not only for others, it builds your own faith and knowledge as well.

You will have more confidence, and feel better about yourself, knowing that you have made efforts to be faithful.

Matthew 25

14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,a each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16T he man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’

21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24“Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28 “ ‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Omegaman,

A very, very, very timely word with great points to help us all see the requirement & the power by the Holy Spirit to enable us.

Blessings, Marilyn.

Wow Marilyn, you must be a very fast reader!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Hi Omega,

I got through over half before it became too long for me to finish.  What I read had some very good points.  I converted to Christianity through a perspective that taught that evangelism was simply going around preaching the 'good news' to others.  The congregations job was to 'make disciples' and get them to church so they could be taught by the pastor. I stayed for a couple years before I understood just how wrong the set up was.  Today I understand that my job as a follower of Christ is to personally disciple others and teach them to observe all things Christ taught.  Most cannot endure sound doctrine.  Following Christ is not for the faint of heart.

Good work but as for me I need shorter discussions.  You are long winded like that Paul guy.  I am the guy who fell out the window :P 

Yeah, I know Gary, and I understand, I could have gone longer, but it was intended to fit in a one hour, interactive discussion. I wanted to make sure there was enough, and yes, I am long winded, not doubt about that.I think I had this in the study I think, that yes, the congregation can take on the roll of the dicipleship aspect. If it was not there is was because that would come up (and did) in the live discussion.

However, I think the gist of the great commission is "go fishing" and "it you catch 'em, you clean em". We have come to think of evangelists as people like Billy Graham, and certainly, in a case like that or Peter in Acts 2, or the journeys of Paul, one has to train people to take some of the discipleship load on. Jesus, only had 12 apostles, and he was with them (daily it appears) for 3 years. So, I think we get from that, that discipleship is a big thing, and a real commitment. 

There are things in our modern contexts, that hinder us from doing that, rightly or wrongly. Some of us do not feel well equipped, well versed is scripture or even gifted with enough wisdom for that responsibility. I fully understand that.

The writer of Hebrews said:

"We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil."

I see that as a bit of an indictment one the recipients of that letter. Seems to me, that if we are ill equipped, then we should become equipped. Perhaps we are, ourselves, in need of being discipled, I am, at almost 64 years old, I am still learning. So, I beleive, that we need to be either discipling others, and if we are not up to that, then we need to be discipled ourselves, perhaps both. I think never stop learning and never stop teaching, until we have come to the unity Christ desires for us, and that is likely, not in our lifetimes, unless the rapture occurs.

We should either be capable, or be becoming capable. I think it is a bit of a cop out, personally, to just tell people and then get them to church. That is important, but there is no way that a pastor or a church staff, can really do all of the instruction and training, that can happen in personal relationships. Rather than us telling others and letting the church train them, I think the better model is having the church (pastor and staff) train us to evangelize in the full sense, not only preaching the basic gospel, but bringing others alongside in relationships where people can learn from us, by our teaching and our examples.

Thank you for botherins to at least read part of that Gary, and for commenting on it as well,

Happy fishing, and try not to fall out of any windows!

Hi Omegaman,

Yes I am a speed reader. I read the main points & get the general idea of the topic. Had a laugh at Gary`s comments & thought, most fellas like the bottom line. Perhaps you could `cut & paste` the main points at the bottom for people who just want the main idea. Just a thought. great topic though. Is there a follow up on this topic of discipling others?

Marilyn.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Omega, it was when Christ was formed in me that I first perceived that discipleship was actually that which happened when God had a relationship with man through a human mediator in the form of a personal relationship.

Jesus first came to me in the form of Jim Shaffer.  Later he spoke with me in the form of Jerry Markinec.  I thought it was merely these men speaking unto me and had no idea that the Lord was the one seeking me.

I am at a phase of my development where I am more relaxed and wait to hear the Lord say what he wants them to hear rather than intellectually discussing the concept of God and the Lord Jesus Christ with them.  

2Co 13:3Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you

I  in awe that Christ would choose to speak to others through us at all.  What an amazing honor!

I am a baby.  44 years old in body.  7 years old born again.  My secret to knowing Christ is to stay close to those he wants to reach most.  The liars, thieves, cheats, cons, whores, drug addicts and drunks.  Break bread with them and wait for what Jesus wants to tell them to come.

I have 3 men I am personally discipling now.  They require an enourmous amount of time and energy. As a side note, discipling others satisfies intense desires for physical intimacy that otherwise find an unhealthy outlet.  Both of them are very intimate acts and can be interchanged one for another.  Teach a man struggling with self pleasuring with pornography how to be intimately involved in the process of discipleship and they will lose interest in the previous issue.

Peace!

Hi gdemoss,

I so agree. there is no greater joy than having `babies` in the spiritual sense - to watch them grow, to help them hear the Lord in their lives, to see what the Lord will do through them as they reach out to help others, ..... The `process` makes us lean on the Lord more, to not just give them great lumps of knowledge but what is necessary for the moment. Great to hear that you are more relaxed now. I know what you mean & it is a great joy & privilege to work with the Holy Spirit. Yes the enormous amount of time & energy, however as they mature & you work together as they then have the joy of mentoring others, that will change. 

Blessings & may you continue to hear the Holy Spirit`s voice ...here is the way...walk you in it... here is that word for now....eat & be free.

Marilyn.

• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,828
  • Content Per Day:  4.76
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Question 7. If we do not do that, which better describes us?:

a. obedient followers

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

All of us can witness to what we know.  A new believer often excitedly tells all that Jesus died for their sins.  Too often I witness to what Jesus has done in my life, but leave this all important part out.  I fail to "close the deal".  Often we need a silent partner to be interceding for the hearer to have his eyes and ears opened as well as for the speaker that his mouth be filled with the words that are needed.  Jesus sent the first disciples out two by two for a good reason.  

That being said, I need to keep in mind that this person could die without the Lord should I fail in this regard.  

Our pastor never brings up hellfire until the person has declined an invitation to pray to receive the Lord.  Then in our obligation to reveal the consequences.