IGNORED

What are proprer hermeneutics and exegesis?

gdemoss

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

A long history of debate that continues on today.  I would like to ask what are proper hermunetics?  What is proper exegesis? 

In my current study of the topic I am asking what does the bible teach about such matters?  Shiloh has commented that there are no proof texts per say to which I agree he says well.  But I cannot fathom the thought that there is no biblical precident that covers such a topic.  Please help me in my quest to better understand what the bible itself reveals about proper interpretation and critical explanation or analysis of the text.

Thank You!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,103
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Matt. 18:16, 2 Cor. 13:1, etc. “...‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.' "

This is the essential rule of the interpretation of biblical doctrine.

In exegesis, every biblical passage having to do with the subject in question should be examined. Some may be in apparent disagreement with each other; but if so, the error is with the viewer, whose understanding is lacking something.

In eisegesis, people only quote those passages that apparently agree with their point of view. They ignore or pervert the meaning of contrary passages. Those who fall into this category of thinking (the majority) are immature Christians, who have not been willing to do their homework. [See first quote in my signature below.]

Guest shiloh357

A long history of debate that continues on today.  I would like to ask what are proper hermunetics?  What is proper exegesis? 

In my current study of the topic I am asking what does the bible teach about such matters?  Shiloh has commented that there are no proof texts per say to which I agree he says well.  But I cannot fathom the thought that there is no biblical precident that covers such a topic.  Please help me in my quest to better understand what the bible itself reveals about proper interpretation and critical explanation or analysis of the text.

Thank You!

The Bible does teach about hermeneutics.  I thought I made that point clear in the other thread.   Hermeneutics are the principles of literary analysis that we use every day in our regular lives.   You don't read a fictional novel the same way you read the newspaper.  You don't read Shakespeare the same way you read a biography of Benjamin Franklin.  

In the same way, there are principles that govern how we read and interpret prophecy vs. proverbs, and historical narratives vs. doctrinal prescription.   In the world, we naturally adjust our perspective to match the literature we are reading.   The same goes for the different literary types present in the Bible.  Hermeneutics, therefore are simply a refinement of every day thinking and living.

The other important issue is the original languages and their historical/cultural setting.  That needs to be taken into account because God did not circumvent culture or history when He inspired the Bible.  Rather, God uses those things as vehicles to reveal truths.   So an understanding of what words meant in their original setting is vital because that original setting is being used by God to make a point.    We study the original languages in order not to miss the message God is sending.   

If 3,000 years from now, the Lord has not returned, and America has gone out of existence for over 2,000 years, and archeologists uncover a plaque that reads, "I love to watch Old Glory paint the wind,"   how will people of that day and age understand what it means without understanding American history and culture and also being able to understand the English language?

It's the same way with the Bible.  We have a historical gap, a cultural gap and a language gap and it needs to be filled in and it is only through hermeneutics and a knowledge of the history, culture and language that such gaps will be filled in.  Studying Scripture is as much an intellectual exercise as it is a physical one.

Guest Judas Machabeus

Matt. 18:16, 2 Cor. 13:1, etc. “...‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.' "

this is why there are so many denominations and churches. 

What happens if you have six people and three interpret one way and the other three interpret a different way. What than?

Edited by Judas Machabeus

Guest shiloh357

What happens if you have six people and three interpret one way and the other three interpret a different way. What than?

That's not why there are so many denominations.   Interpretation is something that most people in the church are oblivious too and don't understand how it works.  They view interpretation as a purely subjective "what does it mean to me"   kind of exercise.  There are rules that govern how we interpret different kinds of literature and unfortunately, they are ignored by most Christians.    You also have those who think it is the job of the pastor to interpret the Bible for them.

Interpretation is an objective exercise not subjective. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Please help me in my quest to better understand what the bible itself reveals about proper interpretation and critical explanation or analysis of the text.

PRINCIPLE #1 – CORRECT INTERPRETATION

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim 2:15).

This is the only Scripture we know of which addresses the issue of hermeneutics (interpretation) and what we see is that (1) we are to study the Word of God (not merely read it), (2) we are to study in a manner which God approves, (3) our study is to be diligent and earnest labor (as a "workman" or laborer) in the Word and doctrine, (4) our study must be such that we will not be ashamed when we stand before Christ, (4) our study must lead to an accurate and correct interpretation of God’s truth.

PRINCIPLE #2 – TAUGHT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (1 Cor 2:13).

Here is a corresponding principle, that (1) man’s wisdom is excluded, (2) the Holy Spirit must teach us the truth, and (3) we are to compare spiritual things with spiritual, which includes comparing Scripture with Scripture on the same subject.

Let’s take one example. We read in John 6:44 “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Calvinists immediately interpret this according to their theology to mean that God the Father draws only “the elect” to Christ and bypasses everyone else. That is because they do not compare Scripture with Scripture to establish that not only the Father, but the Son, and the Holy Spirit draw all men to Christ, and invite all men to receive the gift of eternal life (Rev 22:17).

The point is that unless a Christian has personally examined all the Scriptures pertaining to any subject, he or she has no right to make an interpretation, and if they do so, it is invariably in error.  We see this again and again when we discuss the Deity of Christ. Certain Scriptures are simply ignored, and others are simply mangled so that those who reject the Deity of Christ can claim that Jesus is NOT God, and we who believe this are mistaken.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,103
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Depends on the circumstances, but in general, one or the other (or both) have been short-sighted, and have not fully fleshed out the Word. Every significant doctrine for our welfare is able to be shown by the Word.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Hermeneutics (proper interpretation):

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

All scripture came in this manner. And considering the definition of prophecy is the telling forth of God's truth which is sometimes past, sometimes present, sometimes future, the passage could be understood to mean "none of scripture (which is prophecy) is of any private interpretation..." and is subject to the sole interpretation of the Holy Spirit who gave it.

He has since come as Jesus spoke of and is the one leading us to all truth:

John 16:13 (AV)

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

This means the truth of scripture.

John 17:17 (AV)

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Isaiah 28:9–13 (AV)

9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

1 John 4:1 (AV)

1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (AV)

21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

How?

Acts 17:11 (AV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (AV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Edited by JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Exegesis (gleaning meaning or understanding from the text what is there as opposed to eisegesis which is imposing beliefs on the text that is not there):

see my previous post.