Sign in to follow this  
emekrus

“How Does The Holy Spirit Speak?”

“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself, but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall HE SPEAK: And he will SHOW YOU things to come.” John 16:13

This article is the continuation of my last post titled, “How to Hear From the Holy Spirit”. In that post, I did promise to expatiate on the various ways the Holy Spirit speaks to and leads the children of God…

Hence, this article seeks to scripturally point the Christian believer, to the various avenues, through which the Holy Spirit Speak to his Children. So they can always be sensitive to his voice and receive directions for themselves. Concerning any and every areas of their lives, which they need spiritual guidance on. Instead of running from one man after the other.

So What Then Are the Various Ways The Holy Spirit Speak?

1.   The Witness of the spirit – Rom 8:16.  One of the principal way the Holy Spirit speaks to the believer, is through the witness of the spirit (heart, or conscience). The word witness, from the original Greek word means- to give an evidence of something.

Hence, the Holy Spirit always leads every true believer to what God will have them do per time, by a convicting evidence to the heart or conscience. Many a time, he supports the conviction in the heart or conscience with a very glaring scriptural truth. That the believer cannot sincerely wave off.

2.   Jumping Scriptures—Psalm 119:105; “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” Another principal way the Holy Spirit speaks very often to his children, is through striking revelations from scriptures that just jump at the believer’s heart. And this can be either when reading or meditating on the scriptures or any Christian literature.

Then at some other times, it occurs even when not reading at all. The scriptural revelation, just jumps out from your spirit in total harmony with the situation you’re seeking answers from God to. And on some occasions, the scripture can be given to you in your dream.

In order to position his or herself to be hearing from the Holy Spirit through scriptures, the believer must of a necessity, train his or her spirit to hear.

And by training I mean, consistent reading, meditating and practicing of the word of God on a daily basis. Because most of the time, the Holy Spirit speaks to the believer, from the scriptures he or she is already aware of.

3.   Audible Voice—Isaiah 30:21; “And thine EARS shall hear a word behind thee, saying, this is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.”

The Holy Spirit speaks to believers audibly. But though, rarely. Many men of God have confirmed to hearing from God through their ears only very few times. Some three times; and some others four times since they became Christians. I for one, I have only heard the audible voice of the Spirit once in all my Christian walk…

And that was last year, as I was just about to wake up from my sleep. To be on a safer side, if you hear an audible voice, don’t just run with it. You must confirm it with a witness of the spirit and scriptural backing.

4.   Authoritative Voice of the Spirit The authoritative voice of the Spirit, is what the Apostle Paul calls the Spirit speaking expressly in 1 Timothy 4:1. Through this avenue, you just receive a very strong and authoritative knowing in your spirit concerning what God wants you to do…

You don’t hear anything in your ears, but after receiving the strong revelation in your spirit, it seems as if someone around or within you just spoke to you. I have had this particular experience about three or four times.

And they have occurred to me when I would be asking God, concerning some critical issues that I am confused or not clear about. Whether he or the devil was the one speaking to me. Immediately, I get that authoritative voice in my spirit, I am instantly convicted of the truth of the matter.

5.   Visions and Dreams: God speaks to the believer through visions and dreams. Visions include: Trance, Open visions, inner visions (with your eyes of faith) and dreams. I have never had an open vision or a trance.

But I have gotten revelations through inner visions and dreams. But the dreams I accept as the directions of God are the one that as I wake up from my sleep, has a confirmation of the Holy Spirit, by the witness of the spirit…

If as I wake up, I do not have any witness of the spirit concerning the dream, I just discard it.

The Holy Spirit also leads through situations or providence; through the words of other people (Either born again or not- with the witness of the spirit). He also leads through wisdom or common sense, peace… and a number of other ways…

But ultimately, amongst all these various avenues, he will always bear witness to the truth, through the witness of the spirit and scriptural truth. The Holy Spirit does not speak against or outside scriptural truth.

So regardless of the avenue you receive a revelation, you must check with the written word of God and the witness of the spirit (through conviction or peace). Then also to be on a safer side, when seeking guidance from God on any issue, especially critical issues (such as marriage). You should seek to get confirmation from about two or three avenues as stated above, before making a move. May God guide you continually in the path of righteousness, for his names’ sake in Jesus precious name!

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili 

guidance Holy Spirit

Question: "How can I recognize the guidance of the Holy Spirit?"

Answer: 
Before Jesus ascended to heaven, He told His disciples that He would send one who would teach and guide all those who believe in Him (Acts 1:5John 14:2616:7). Jesus’ promise was fulfilled less than two weeks later when the Holy Spirit came in power on the believers at Pentecost (Acts 2). Now, when a person believes in Christ, the Holy Spirit immediately becomes a permanent part of his life (Romans 8:141 Corinthians 12:13).

The Holy Spirit has many functions. Not only does He distribute spiritual gifts according to His will (1 Corinthians 12:7–11), but He also comforts us (John 14:16, KJV), teaches us (John 14:26), and remains in us as a seal of promise upon our hearts until the day of Jesus’ return (Ephesians 1:134:30). The Holy Spirit also takes on the role of Guide and Counselor, leading us in the way we should go and revealing God’s truth (Luke 12:121 Corinthians 2:6–10).

But how do we recognize the Spirit’s guidance? How do we discern between our own thoughts and His leading? After all, the Holy Spirit does not speak with audible words. Rather, He guides us through our own consciences (Romans 9:1) and other quiet, subtle ways.

One of the most important ways to recognize the Holy Spirit’s guidance is to be familiar with God’s Word. The Bible is the ultimate source of wisdom about how we should live (2 Timothy 3:16), and believers are to search the Scriptures, meditate on them, and commit them to memory (Ephesians 6:17). The Word is the “sword of the Spirit” (Ephesians 6:17), and the Spirit will use it to speak to us (John 16:12–14) to reveal God’s will for our lives; He will also bring specific Scriptures to mind at times when we need them most (John 14:26).

Knowledge of God’s Word can help us to discern whether or not our desires come from the Holy Spirit. We must test our inclinations against Scripture—the Holy Spirit will never prod us to do anything contrary to God’s Word. If it conflicts with the Bible, then it is not from the Holy Spirit and should be ignored. 

It is also necessary for us to be in continual prayer with the Father (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Not only does this keep our hearts and minds open to the Holy Spirit’s leading, but it also allows the Spirit to speak on our behalf: “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will” (Romans 8:26–27).

Another way to tell if we are following the Spirit’s leading is to look for signs of His fruit in our lives (Galatians 5:22). If we walk in the Spirit, we will continue to see these qualities grow and mature in us, and they will become evident to others as well.

It is important to note that we have the choice whether or not to accept the Holy Spirit’s guidance. When we know the will of God but do not follow it, we are resisting the Spirit’s work in our lives (Acts 7:511 Thessalonians 5:19), and a desire to follow our own way grieves Him (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit will never lead us into sin. Habitual sin will cause us to miss what the Holy Spirit wants to say to us through the Word. Being in tune with God’s will, turning from and confessing sin, and making a habit of prayer and the study of God’s Word will allow us to recognize—and follow—the Spirit’s leading.

http://www.gotquestions.org/guidance-Holy-Spirit.html

Edited by bopeep1909

5.   Visions and Dreams: God speaks to the believer through visions and dreams. Visions include: Trance, Open visions, inner visions (with your eyes of faith) and dreams. I have never had an open vision or a trance.

But I have gotten revelations through inner visions and dreams. But the dreams I accept as the directions of God are the one that as I wake up from my sleep, has a confirmation of the Holy Spirit, by the witness of the spirit…

I think the above  is very questionable.A trance?That is wrong.

I had an experience of faith, an 'encounter' with the Holy Spirit roughly a month ago, and this is why I came back to the faith. Thank you for this thread, it is beautiful to read what I've experienced, because when i was a Christian before I left the faith for a time, I didn't fully believe that I could experience all of this. It's changed my life. :emot-heartbeat:

Holy Spirit is truth. What other experience of truth does one expect?

How has He not talked to you?

5.   Visions and Dreams: God speaks to the believer through visions and dreams. Visions include: Trance, Open visions, inner visions (with your eyes of faith) and dreams. I have never had an open vision or a trance.

I think the above  is very questionable.A trance?That is wrong.

I believe we should be very cautious in labeling something as "wrong" because we ourselves have not experienced it.  Wrongness and rightness should be established through the filter of the Word of God, and Scripture does reveal that dreams and visions are used by God to communicate with people. Joseph had dreams and Daniel had visions. Peter was shown a vision before going to the house of Cornelius, and Paul was taken up into the third Heaven and shown things which he could not reveal.  Isaiah, Ezekiel and the apostle John could very well have been in trances. We dare not limit God the Holy Spirit in how He chooses to communicate (Isaiah 6:1-8).

1In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.

2Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

4And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

5Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

6Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:

7And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

8Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

I believe that being put into a trance is not Biblical.

I believe that being put into a trance is not Biblical.

Perhaps you should study what happened to Balaam, who wanted to curse Israel but was prevented from doing so by God, and blessed Israel under the power of the Holy Spirit, while falling into a trance (Num 24:1-5).

1 And when Balaam saw that it pleased the LORD to bless Israel, he went not, as at other times, to seek for enchantments, but he set his face toward the wilderness.

2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him.

3 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:

4 He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:

5 How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, and thy tabernacles, O Israel!

Balaam's eyes were open, but he was in a trance, and the Spirit of God gave him the words which he spoke. I trust that makes it quite clear to you that dreams, visions, and trances are used by God.

No Ezra a trance is just not ok :huh:

trance

noun

1. 1.
    a half-conscious state characterized by an absence of response to external stimuli, typically as induced by hypnosis or entered by a medium.

Acts 10:10. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jonathan BeWell
      Praise the Lord, hallelujah!
      Praise You, God, for your purity and perfection!  Praise You Lord, Jesus Christ, for saving me and my testimony!  Glory be to You, God, our Father who art in Heaven!  Thanks be to the Holy Spirit's comfort, teaching and guidance!  All we know, understand, experience and struggle with is for your glory, perfect plan and unquestionable will.  I shall not want or crave anything outside of Jesus Christ's way.  Let me know if so, let me understand what You want for us is best.  May I pick up and carry my own cross, denying myself for You.  I worship You as all knowing, powerful and gracious.  May I draw closer to You and keep You as top priority in my family's lives.  You are first, my family is second and I am here to serve.  May I serve you reverently, fully and completely.  May there be less of me and more of Jesus Christ instead.  Jesus, You are thee only way, light and salvation.  All I need is You.  God, You take care of the rest.  You are in control, God, making and letting everything happen.  I am in awe and wonder of your creation.  I am eternally grateful, worshipping You and your Son for thee ultimate sacrifice and act of love.  This body is your temple, use it as You will.  Bend me from my will to yours.  It is all about You, everything concerns and relates to You!  Yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever, in Jesus Christ's name, amen!
      Sincerely yours,
      GregoryB
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      The secular world keeps yelling, “Don’t judge me.” Well, I maintain that we must discern with the Holy Spirit and warn people of their fate in hell if they do not repent. Christ did.

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Matthew 5:30 King James Version (KJV)

39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?

41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

John 9:39-41 (KJV)

When Jesus returns, I believe he will execute righteous anger on the world.

48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 24:48-51 (KJV)

Christ comes for more reasons than to love and save. Believe, repent and reap good consequences in the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour of the world.

• By JubileeJigsaw
      I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior and told Him to come into my heart on July 28, 2019. However, my mind just started cursing towards Him. It made me miserable for days. My grandfather said to trust in Jesus; my faith is incredibly low, yet I know Jesus rose from the dead.
      Last night (August 8), I just thought, “I reject the Holy Spirit”, then boom! My body just felt a release. I felt incredibly scared, sad, and incredibly numb. I talked to my church's college & career leaders tonight and they told me that God will never leave me and He still loves me.
      Now, either I'm acting like I don't care or I'm feeling better? I don't know. I mean, when I listen to a Christian song, I don't feel much. When I listened to an audio sermon from Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life", I also felt nothing.
      Did I actually commit the unpardonable sin? Did the Holy Spirit actually leave me? Am I really going to Hell? Am I not really saved? Why am I not really caring?
    • By Behold
      2nd Corinthians 4:6 :   " For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.""

Let us search the way this verse reveals how Jesus is God.... John 1:10
      So beautiful.
      ---------------------------

"""For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness......""""

This is not only a reference to Genesis....."let there be LIGHT".
      But its a reference to and a description of  Yeshua,  who IS TRUTH,  John 14:6....&  came to this fallen (Dark) World He created,  John 6:51  and shined and still shines, as the "Light of the World".
      Its also a statement regarding spiritual darkness, as the state of the fallen, defined as "the World", as they are described as having their "mind's blinded" by the Devil.  2nd Corinthians 4:4.
      As.... if you are mentally - spiritually blinded, then you are INSIDE Spiritual Darkness, and it is INSIDE YOU.

The verse continues...

"hath shined in our hearts"....

Here the idea is, that   The  Truth (as shining) is being revealed to us, concerning Christ, who is the shining Light of the world.   He is not "a" truth, but in fact Jesus is "THE" Truth.  John 14:6

and continuing the revelation, (the shining)... and  now explaining the "why" of the (shining) revelation.. = what is the purpose?

"to give the knowledge"....  as this is the reason for all "Light" that is given.  Its to reveal and impart... Its a means to open the eyes of your Spiritual UNDERSTANDING.... as something revealed by the shining Light of revelation, is an opening into the understanding of a spiritual knowledge.
      This is the purpose of the shining of the light (revelation) into our hearts....

And what is the revelation?

First....  That Jesus has been revealed to us, by our spiritual awakening. (Quickening).
      We have been given the revelation that Jesus is the Messiah, The Savior, The Son of God,  who is the One sent from and came down from Heaven,  John 6:51.  and that Jesus alone is Salvation...."THE way".  "i am THE resurrection".... "that you may KNOW that you have eternal life", as Jesus IS eternal life.
      The reason you have eternal life right now, is because you have Jesus, who IS Eternal Life.

and foremost the revelation is to expose THIS Truth....
      = "of the Glory of God......(where ?) .= IN THE FACE of Jesus Christ.""""

And what is the Glory of God?
      Its His essence..  Its His Righteousness, ..... Its His nature..... it's His image..... Its HIMSELF,  revealed as JESUS the Righteous, whose name...is HOLY., and Holy is the Lamb.
      They are the same.  They are One.  In the beginning the word was God, and God  Timothy 3:16.  is manifested in the Flesh as "I am".  This is why when Thomas, upon first seeing Jesus after He was resurrected said...."my Lord and my GOD", and Jesus didn't correct Him, as why would God correct the Truth regarding Himself ? ???

So, THIS =  is why you have this verse in the NT.....> "if you've seen ME (Jesus) you've SEEN the Father,""", as God  and Jesus  are mirrors of each other.
      Jesus is the image of God, the Face of God, the Grace of God, the Truth of God, The Blood of God,  the Word of God, the Spirit of God, the Glory of God, the Righteousness of God, the Heart of God, The Love of God, the Forgiveness of God,  and the Power of God.
      Jesus is God.
    • By ClassicalBeauty
      Hello!
      I am new around here, and only a week or so old when it comes to being on worthy. I shared a part of my testimony in the forums, and was well greeted. So thank you! I want to expound a little on my testimony here. For those of you who have not seen my testimony, I would like to take a moment to catch you up on a few things. Nearing the end of 2015 I was severely ill and was hospitalized. I didn't realize it at the time though, and I spent a great deal of time in the hospital. It was there I was diagnosed with a plethora of different mental health issues. Anxiety, depression, and PTSD among many others that I cannot all name. I am still currently on medication, and under doctors care until I am "declared" by the doctors to no longer need them. I am hoping that with my recent healing, which I will tell you about in a moment, that I will be able to make a full recovery and get back up on my feet.
      Now, to my healing and additional baptism of the holy spirit:
      I had popped into an online chat room on a video feed from youtube. It was of a fairly well known church, and they were holding a prayer service. I had popped in for the sole reason of letting others know that someone, whom is also well known, was sick and was in need of prayer. I didn't do much chatting but I stuck around. Perhaps it was an inclination of what was to come? I digress, my visit wasn't in vain. The pastor of this church received a word of knowledge while praying aloud. It was about someone who was watching online. This person was heavily afflicted with a spirit of suicide. My eyes got wide. That's me! I thought. I stuck around to hear more but nothing more was said other than they had prayed for the spirit to be removed.

I briefly chatted on and off with some of the people in the chatroom. I saw that one brother was announcing that, if anyone needed healing he would speak to them through facebook. I went to facebook and messaged him immediately. The wait was on! I thought he might not get around to me that night, because there were others that were asking for healing as well. It was getting later and later in the evening. It was then he reached out and contacted me through facebook. We spoke a little before he called me through messenger. He began telling me of the father's love for me, and what Jesus had done for me in order for myself to be healed. He had words of knowledge that only could come from God. Things he would have never known in the natural. Things only God and I would know.
      I have to admit I was a little surprised. I had never received words like this before. He spoke of different ailments, injuries, and even the illnesses that have affected me for most of my life. He addressed the "smaller" issues first, but what an impact it had on me! One of my legs, which was shorter than the other grew out! Something that I had dealt with on and off in my life, but was painful to deal with. Then he proceeded to my back. Since I was off kilter when walking I was in pain. God healed that as well. Then came the BIG ONE. Not only had I had a serious injury when I was younger, my head was not all the way in the car and I slammed the door shut on it. It hurt for awhile but then faded.. God wanted to not only heal me of my mental health issues, but that old traumatic injury as well. 
      The Lord healed that old injury through that man. I was then healed of my mental health issues, and could feel a tingling on the side of my head. The man spoke words of life to my brain, and each part was healed with the help of the holy spirit. At some point, I cannot remember when but I had started crying. I was so happy! This is what I had been waiting for! I had asked on and off for the healing and it had not yet come. I had all but given up on it, but before all this healing began my hope and belief was rekindled.  I held onto that hope, that belief very tightly. This man, I had met, continued to minister to me until I had heard him say, "Did you ever ask to be baptized in the Holy Spirit?" I was floored! I had been asking on and off for that too, but had not yet received an answer.
      Jesus even showed up in my room and had wrapped his arm around me. I was ecstatic! It was then I asked him to baptize me in the holy spirit. He did so and I felt something come on me. I couldn't quite make it out, but my left side of my head was tingling again. I then thanked the Lord for all he had done. It was there that this brother in Christ had told me about who I was in Christ, and that he would send a book full of scripture to show me who I was. I gladly accepted that book, and am currently reading it, albeit slowly. I find myself going back over certain parts to see how it all plays together. It has not fully sunk in yet, but I've made great breakthroughs lately with God's help. And now, I am currently going to start attending classes about how to move in the gifts of the holy spirit, and I will learn how to be submissive to the spirit so he can work with me to help others.
      I looked forward to many wonderful adventures with our Lord. ❤️