• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

1  Timothy 1:7

Nasb says 'For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.' 

Since I trust the nasb most, I believe this is most correct, as they all say it is, being the most literal version. It is rated #1 in that. I read both these words in Greek are different actually, but derived from the same word.  My question is, is their a correlation between the two in which saying sound mind can be used interchangeably?  

Also, fear is used instead if timidity sometimes in other versions.  Why? Timidity seems to bring on a more specific meaning than fear alone. A different result of being afraid of something specifically.  Fear of the people. Bashful.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Timidity does sound a little weaker or watered down, but what is timidity in general, being afraid?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I understand the NASB is an excellent translation.

• Group:  Senior Member

Timidity sounds like afraid of people. Fear can be many things! I read in this artcle, wherever  it is now, the person was trying to explain the relationship between the sound mind and the discipline.  I don't copy and paste on my cell phone.  The website never changes adresses when you move from page to page on it either so I thought it pointless to write it down.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Pamela,

Please correct that to 2 Timothy 1:7. Your reliance on the NASB will never give you the true rendering or even the true text (regardless of the hype).  As usual, the use of "fear" in the KJV is closer to the meaning and the context.  Cowardice is far more than mere timidity.  It is in essence fearfulness. A sound mind is a mind that is free from fear. A fearful mind is a troubled mind, hence cannot make sound decisions. God the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of knowledge, and wisdom, and power.

Please see below and study:

Strong's Concordance (1167)

deilia: cowardice

Original Word: δειλία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: deilia
Phonetic Spelling: (di-lee'-ah)
Short Definition: cowardice
Definition: cowardice, timidity.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 1167: δειλία
δειλία, δειλίας,  (δειλός), timidity, fearfullness, cowardice: 2 Timothy 1:7. (Sophocles (Herodotus), Euripides, (Aristophanes), Thucydides, and subsequent writings.) [SYNONYMS: δειλίαφόβος,εὐλάβεια: "of these three words the first is used always in a bad sense; the second is a middle term, capable of a good interpretation, capable of an evil, and lying pretty evenly between the two; the third is quite predominantly used in a good sense, though it too has not altogether escaped being employed in an evil."Trench, § x, which see; cf. δέος.] 

Strong's Concordance (1169)

deilos: cowardly, fearful

Original Word: δειλός, ή, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: deilos
Phonetic Spelling: (di-los')
Short Definition: cowardly, timid
Definition: cowardly, timid, fearful.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 1169: δειλός
δειλός, δείλη, δειλόν (δείδω to fear),timid, fearful: Matthew 8:28; Mark 4:40; inRevelation 21:8 of Christians who through cowardice give way under persecutions and apostatize. (From Homer down.)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

Sometimes I think the dictionary is overused in trying to understand scripture, which is why the most important aspect of scripture is being able to translate it in the present language so that you are not dependent on the dictionary.  For every word, there is a most common definition.  Like the word judge.  Without context, the most common definition would relate to judging people more like the verse that tells us not to judge or we will be judged (Matthew 7:1).  For example, "Don't judge me."  However, "judge" can be a position in a courtroom and understanding that this is what the word is being used for is dependent on context.  Therefore, the difference between cowardice and timidity is very small based on the context of how it is used in comparison with a positive character trait of power, and love, and discipline.  So, timidity obviously takes on the negative component of the word, which does relate more specifically to personal interaction as a common definition within the modern English language; meaning, that it is more likely that the word timid or coward would be used to express fear within interpersonal relations rather saying they felt timid in high places.  That could be more directly related this way, "they felt fear in high places."  Therefore, the argument suggesting a dependency on a dictionary and the KJV is weak.  Understanding scripture should not require a dictionary to further understand what we are being taught unless I were the actual person given the job of translating this verse from one language to the other in most cases.  Otherwise, I don't need a dictionary.  If I have to break out a dictionary to understand each and every verse, this hinders the capacity to understand context or even listen to the Holy Spirit who speaks through his anointed word, and not through a dictionary.  

I also think discipline is a improvement in updating the language from the former use of sound mind because in the modern world of psychiatry, when I think of sound mind, I think of the difference between a sane person and a crazy person.  The more common modern definition of sound mind relates to treating mental illness.  Maybe, when there was not a field of psychiatry hogging the words, sound mind in the 17th century might have more commonly meant: a person that was able to discipline themselves to work versus someone who was lazy or careless.  The ESV also uses self-control; and both discipline and self-control relate better as action words in the modern world than sound mind.  Hearing the word sound mind makes me feel like I am a spectator rather than an active participant in God's plan the way self-control or discipline does; and it is all because of the way that I commonly use these words in my life.  Understanding the history of the change in translations is one thing.  Requiring someone to use a dictionary to read the Bible is like tying a anchor to their leg and telling them to swim to the middle of the lake.      

Edited by Esther4:14

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Sound mind --Sophroneo 4993  

In translation many different words can be used and context does help to determine the better one.   It literally means a sound understanding.   In this case, a sound mind is one that is by implication disciplined and not given to hysteria or pertified from fear.    It uses sound judgement and moderation.   Sober minded.

Fearful, timid--deilia 1167  

The Holy Spirit gave Peter boldness to delare the risen Christ and preach the Gospel on the day of Pentacost.  This is in contrast to the fear he displayed when he denied the Lord three times.  So the Lord has not given us a spirit of fear but of a sound, stable mind.    I am not sure that discipline is the best choice here but it is still a correct choice by implication.  No translation is perfect so I compare NASV with NKJV and other literal versions.  And I like Vine's and The Complete Word Study Dictionary.  Anyone who had studied a foreign language knows the value of a dictionary.  But it also helps to pray and ask God to help us understand the meaning.

Personally, I still benefit from checking the dictionary to get a better idea of what the word means.  

I was led to get this bible because it had many exhorting topics explained by the writer that just so happened ( or God ordained) to be things I was going thru and they were VERY encouraging, knowing that this God ordained teacher is now 81 and lived them and also heard countless questions from congregational members thru out the years of his seasoned life, in which he has some really good things to offer. He is fully convinced that the nasb is the most accurate. He accually said 'WE are fully convinced.' I would be wise to listen to this man verses somebody on the Internet I don't even know.  

I have heard that the meanings of words can change somewhat through out the years. There is proof of that, too.  There was an example given.  Plus, I find reading the kings James version difficult, like an impede ment in my learning, since I am unfamiliar with that kind of talk. I don't even know what some of those words mean!  I'm sure it is fine for people who grew up with it.  And some do enjoy it.  

If the bible is updated in it's use of words/ current in meaning, then a modern dictionary should be helpful.