LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I got this ideal from another topic I started. Many of people claim to be Christians. Many of them may even attend church regularly. They may even give money and time to the church. But yet their personal live outside of church shows something different. When we see such people living a life that seems to not be in step with the word of God; how can we question what they do without passing judgment upon them? For example a person who is a Sunday school teacher, knows the Bible cover to cover, and attends every church service. But yet they treat other people badly. They talk bad about people behind their backs and seems to be a mean, hateful person to anyone they don't like. (I have know people like this) And yet they claim to be Christians and love Jesus. So are we to just believe everyone who says they are Christians for fear that if we don't believe them that we will be guilty of judging them?  I mean the KKK claim to be a Christian group and look at what they do. So what do you think?

Guest shiloh357

I got this ideal from another topic I started. Many of people claim to be Christians. Many of them may even attend church regularly. They may even give money and time to the church. But yet their personal live outside of church shows something different. When we see such people living a life that seems to not be in step with the word of God; how can we question what they do without passing judgment upon them? For example a person who is a Sunday school teacher, knows the Bible cover to cover, and attends every church service. But yet they treat other people badly. They talk bad about people behind their backs and seems to be a mean, hateful person to anyone they don't like. (I have know people like this) And yet they claim to be Christians and love Jesus. So are we to just believe everyone who says they are Christians for fear that if we don't believe them that we will be guilty of judging them?  I mean the KKK claim to be a Christian group and look at what they do. So what do you think?

People have been using the idea that we are not to judge, as a shield against any criticism of their sin.   "Judge not lest ye be judged"  is the ONLY verse most sinners know.   What Jesus was teaching against was hypocritical, unmerciful judgment.   Hypocrisy is when we condemn in others the very same sin we justify in ourselves. 

Look at it this way.  The Bible also teaches that bad company corrupts good character.   How do you know the difference between good and bad company without making a judgment call?  How do we know the difference between good teachers and false teachers without making a judgment call?

God has already judged sin and we are permitted to judge what God has already judged.  We able to point out sin when we see it. We can judge sin as being sin.  We can point out false teachers and we should do that. Sinners are under God's judgment and we need to make that clear to them, as well.

Jesus taught that if we hypocritically condemn others without mercy for the very sin we are guilty of as well, then we will be judged by them in the same manner.   Jesus wasn't saying that we cannot speak up about the sin we see in other's lives.   We are not to condemn other's sin in an unmerciful manner.  But we are to tell them the truth, that they are sinners and that they will go to hell if they don't turn to Jesus.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

In response to your post LadyKay:

1. Christians have not been given the responsibility of determining who is a genuine Christian and who is not,so we should primarily leave that to the Lord.

2. Each one of us needs to focus on our own sins, our own standing, and our own behavior, as well as our own service. If we are busy serving the Lord and others, we will have little time to discuss people.

3. Scripture tells us that the Christian walk is a growing in grace from a newborn babe to complete maturity.  Each one is at a different level of growth, and few will actually resemble Christ in His longsuffering, gentleness, and meekness.

4. Scripture also tells us that some Christians will be carnal, others will be spiritual, and some will not even be genuine, but simply tares among the wheat.

5. Many believers have been born again but never properly discipled. If you know such individuals personally, perhaps you should take the initiative and help them grow.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

The Bible tells us that we can judge but we can not judge hypocritically.I guess what these people do is between them an God.Remember there is a judgment coming up.Believers will be judged for everything they did while in their bodies on earth.

The Bible tells us that there will be many people on earth who will be doing these things you mentioned in the end times.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

1. Christians have not been given the responsibility of determining who is a genuine Christian and who is not,so we should primarily leave that to the Lord.

So then no matter what a person does, as long as they say they are a Christian; I should just believe that they are? Even though they are showing hatred to their fellow man?  Should I just accept them as my brother or sister in Christ and say "oh yeah they are Christians cause they say they are"when clearly what they are doing is unChrist like? By unChrist like I am not meaning the movies they watch or the music they listen too. I mean when they hate people and are abusive to their own family. That man may beat his wife and children everyday but as long as he says he is a Christian I have to accept that he is one? I'm not sure I can do that.

5. Many believers have been born again but never properly discipled. If you know such individuals personally, perhaps you should take the initiative and help them grow.

Many such people are unreachable. At less by me anyway.  You can point out to them in a loving way that what they are doing you think is sinful. But they get all high and mighty on you and tell you that they got saved 50 years ago  and they are right and anyone who thinks other wise is foolish and wrong end of story! 

All I am saying is I have seen people like this.People who can in on hand hold the Bible and preach to you and in the other hand beat the living daylights out of their children.

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

To judge a person means to assign a person to heaven or hell.  Only God knows whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

But we are told to judge our own thoughts and actions before going to communion and to forgive anyone that we have not forgiven.  As to the actions of others, even Paul spoke of Alexander the Coppersmith who had done him much harm, and told others to beware of him.  We are also told about the actions of people in the last days that we are warned about.  There are some that we are told to have nothing to do with and avoid, such as those who are in sexual sin, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner who call themselves Christians.  1 Cor 5:11.  So we are to judge peoples' actions and attitudes.  Most of all we are to pray for them that they come to repentance.  

You are told, if you have spoken to this person about her actions, you are to take someone with you the next time, and if ignored you are to take a pastor or elder with you the final time.  But we are to be sure that we have the log out of our own eye when we do it, and also we need to be aware how frail we also are and how close to stumbling we can be. Most of all we need to put on love, knowing that Christ died for that person as well as us.   

I also agree about the need for discipling.  Many people do not know how to walk in the Spirit or don't even realize that Christ lives in them so they need to allow Him to live through them.  We need to draw on His love and forgiveness for others.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

So then no matter what a person does, as long as they say they are a Christian; I should just believe that they are? Even though they are showing hatred to their fellow man?  Should I just accept them as my brother or sister in Christ and say "oh yeah they are Christians cause they say they are"when clearly what they are doing is unChrist like? By unChrist like I am not meaning the movies they watch or the music they listen too. I mean when they hate people and are abusive to their own family. That man may beat his wife and children everyday but as long as he says he is a Christian I have to accept that he is one? I'm not sure I can do that.

You do have a couple of options.  If you know such people personally, you can invite them for a coffee and have a conversation as below:

OPTION #1

YOU: Do you know that you've been born again, or do you believe you are a Christians for some other reason?

GUEST: Why would you ask such a question?

YOU: I have noticed your behavior, and on such an such a day you did such and such a thing? Do you believe a Christian would do that?

GUEST: I guess you're right.  I call myself a Christian but I may not really be one.  Can you show me how I can know for sure?

YOU: Sure. Let me share some Scriptures with you....

OPTION #2

I've made up my mind that you are not a Christian, and I will have nothing to do with you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Christian or not...

Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins. Ecc 7:20

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Many such people are unreachable. At less by me anyway.  You can point out to them in a loving way that what they are doing you think is sinful. But they get all high and mighty on you and tell you that they got saved 50 years ago  and they are right and anyone who thinks other wise is foolish and wrong end of story! 

All I am saying is I have seen people like this.People who can in on hand hold the Bible and preach to you and in the other hand beat the living daylights out of their children.

I can tell a true Christian by observing what they say and do.Of course God knows their heart.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

LadyKay

You shall know them by their fruits.

I think it becomes judging when we say who is saved and who is not, or tell someone that he is going to hell. Christ will judge, for we don't know if he'll turn that persons heart around. Christ will draw whoever he wants at his timing, and have mercy on whomever.  God lets some of us fall sometimes, so we can learn by it when we realise how our actions can harm others.

What we are allowed to do is point out to a brother, sister in the faith, or anyone what God does not accept and show where it's written in the scriptures.  This is not judging on our behalf, because the Word has already done it, for it is written and we have proof whether that person is guilty or not.  What we are doing is trying to correct a brother out of love so he or she can see it and repent, to save their souls.  If a brother or sister see a sin in me that I am not aware of, I would appreciate his honesty so that I can address it and change.

Having said all that, the scriptures also state;

Matthew 7:3   And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:4   Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:5   Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

So we have to get ourselves right first before we are guilty of this one!

Concentrate on our own walk, and stop worrying about everyone else, for in the end we will be the one facing Christ and will have to answer for ourselves and not them.

Edited by Sister