• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

from faithstreet:

"One of my [the author's] core callings ... is preaching. And I think there’s an important difference between preaching and teaching.

"Over the years I’ve struggled to understand and express this, and honestly I’ve heard it expressed rather poorly in the past. Some folks (who lean more charismatic or Pentecostal) will denigrate teaching, implicitly if not explicitly, as being too intellectual, too heady, and not spiritual enough. Prophecy is one of the 'best gifts,' they reason, and so prophetic preaching is far superior to any mere theological lesson.

"Perhaps conversely, less Spirit-filled folks have flattened the definitions of preaching and teaching so that preaching itself is marked primarily by thorough study and preparation and skilled delivery. An intellectual, and perhaps overly academic, emphasis is part and parcel of this approach, and only lip service is given to the Spirit’s role. There is no functional appearance or operation, if you will, of the Spirit in the course of the message...."

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2015/11/05/the-difference-between-preaching-and-teaching/38004

The author goes on to describe three differences between preaching and teaching, i.e., spontaneous vs. methodical, personal vs. objective, etc.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

There is a difference.A pastor leads the church.Conducts Sunday services and preaches the sermon.Whereas a teacher conducts Sunday School,Bible classes and home Bible studies and more.

There is a difference.A pastor leads the church.Conducts Sunday services and preaches the sermon.Whereas a teacher conducts Sunday School,Bible classes and home Bible studies and more.

But some pastors also teach Sunday School, so I don't think it's just a matter of who, but of "what".

But some pastors also teach Sunday School, so I don't think it's just a matter of who, but of "what".

Well yes a pastor can teach Sunday School if he chooses but he has authority over the Church.A teacher does not.

Well yes a pastor can teach Sunday School if he chooses but he has authority over the Church.A teacher does not.

Yes, but I don't think the author is trying to differentiate between preacher and teacher, but between the actual preaching and teaching, i.e., spontaneous vs. methodical, personal vs. objective, etc.

Ok I am not going to over think this.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Without reference to this article, there is a difference between preaching and teaching, and it has nothing to do with Sunday worship per se.  When Paul speaks of "preaching" it is primarily the preaching of the Gospel (which could be on the street or in a home).  But the Gospel itself requires teaching (see the epistle to the Romans), and if the Gospel message is superficial and shallow, then the preacher has failed to do what he is called to do -- preach the full and true Gospel.  On the other hand, teaching is primarily Bible exposition and application, but does not exclude preaching the Gospel (which should be interwoven into every message). Both of these must be done with the leading and in the power of the Holy Spirit, so that hearts and lives are touched and changed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/13/1962

in 1988 times.. i have given teachings to Sunday school 

later I am preaching in my church also preaching in gospel fields.. 

I am teaching in our 2 Bible colleges.. 

Both are need to serve to God

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Preaching:  proclaiming something to others as true whether they care to hear or not.

Teaching:  Expounding upon the message proclaimed by those who preach.

Without reference to this article, there is a difference between preaching and teaching, and it has nothing to do with Sunday worship per se.  When Paul speaks of "preaching" it is primarily the preaching of the Gospel (which could be on the street or in a home).  But the Gospel itself requires teaching (see the epistle to the Romans), and if the Gospel message is superficial and shallow, then the preacher has failed to do what he is called to do -- preach the full and true Gospel.  On the other hand, teaching is primarily Bible exposition and application, but does not exclude preaching the Gospel (which should be interwoven into every message). Both of these must be done with the leading and in the power of the Holy Spirit, so that hearts and lives are touched and changed.

Sounds like exhortation, listed among the spiritual gifts in Romans 12:6-8.

"Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation...."

From the Greek, meaning to "appeal to, urge, exhort, or to encourage" to take a certain action. 

"The spiritual gift of exhortation is a special empowerment from God to motivate people to do something. Great men of the past such as Billy Graham, Dwight L Moody, and Billy Sunday are just a few men who had the gift of exhortation. God calls us to take action, but some of us need to be motivated. God has given certain men and women the spiritual gift of exhortation...."