IGNORED

Preaching vs. Teaching

OldSchool2

Guest Teditis
20 hours ago, Reinitin said:

preaching is to announce or proclaim. teaching is explaining or showing people how to apply what they know.

Well said... concise and to the point.

Guest Teditis
15 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

And then, there is simple discussion.

Yeah there seems to be a shortage here on Worthy of simple discussions without someone assuming

the preacher/teacher role.

That "put's me off" many threads because I just don't know anyone here well enough to allow them

to fill that role in my time here... they become like resounding gongs and clanging cymbals.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

9 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Yes, discussion is a good thing.  But, with some, it's imperative that everyone accept their beliefs.....or else.   That's not good for anyone. 

There is only one true belief and interpretation of the Holy Bible.And that is a literal true interpretation of every word.Is someone giving the Bible their own words and their own interpretation?Is their interpretation of the Bible only their speculation?If everyone read the Bible the way God intended then their would not be huge debates.Is God's true literal word not good enough?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

7 hours ago, Teditis said:

Yeah there seems to be a shortage here on Worthy of simple discussions without someone assuming

the preacher/teacher role.

That "put's me off" many threads because I just don't know anyone here well enough to allow them

to fill that role in my time here... they become like resounding gongs and clanging cymbals.

I so agree, Teditis.  It's great to read others' opinions and theories but then we get the ones who come here with gigantic blocks of prewritten comments and they proceed to try to teach the rest of us how things should be and dominate threads . Some even have their own websites and they teach on those too.   I think we all should just say 'this is what I believe', state our opinions and then read those of other people.  I don't think most here read the really long posts anyway.  I know I don't.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1975

Preaching is standing and giving something to a group of people without anything in return.  That is why I like teaching.  Because it is interactive, and the student asks questions, and there is a genuine respect derived from that.  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 15/01/2016 at 11:56 AM, completedbeliever1 said:

Preaching is standing and giving something to a group of people without anything in return.  That is why I like teaching.  Because it is interactive, and the student asks questions, and there is a genuine respect derived from that.  

Preaching is quite a bit more than that. Essentially preaching is proclamation, and primarily the proclamation of the Gospel.  When the Gospel is preached, one cannot avoid teaching, since salvation is multifaceted and many things need to be taught. So ultimately teaching cannot be divorced from preaching, and ideally both should be evident.

We should also bear in mind that the preaching of the Gospel is also the power of the Gospel (Rom 10).  And the Holy Spirit is ever present with the Word and the Gospel to cause it to do the work of bringing sinners to Saviour. As to teaching, it can be, and should be, interactive.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/15/1975

3 hours ago, Ezra said:

Preaching is quite a bit more than that. Essentially preaching is proclamation, and primarily the proclamation of the Gospel.  When thee Gospel is preached, one cannot avoid teaching, since salvation is multifaceted and many things need to be taught. So ultimately teaching cannot be divorced from preaching, and ideally both should be evident.

We should also bear in mind that the preaching of the Gospel is also the power of the Gospel (Rom 10).  And the Holy Spirit is ever present with the Word and the Gospel to cause it to do the work of bringing sinners to Saviour. As to teaching, it can be, and should be, interactive.

What I wrote was a snippet of the whole meaning.  Just making it known that I would rather teach, than preach.  That is all.

I love input, questions, and debate even. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

2 hours ago, completedbeliever1 said:

What I wrote was a snippet of the whole meaning.  Just making it known that I would rather teach, than preach.  That is all.

I love input, questions, and debate even. 

But, in order to teach, one must be qualified.  None of us can teach our opinions.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

But, in order to teach, one must be qualified.  None of us can teach our opinions.

I would not want anything less than a solid Christian ministry.Where this person or these people have been through a respectable seminary.Sometimes I find that even then their interpretations are skewed.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Right. And for spiritual truth the qualification is in fact a gift of the Holy Spirit -- "teacher" (or "evangelist").  Many are erroneously taught that a Master of Divinity is the qualification, but Scripture lays it out different -- apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers -- all spiritual gifts.