tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

1 Thess 5:1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 

2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.

3 For when they say, "Peace and safety!" then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman.

And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 

5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness.

6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 

There is also a great contrast between “Peace and safety” and sudden destruction.

Sorry, but I will not be able to complete this thread.

Here is what Jesus says about His coming and us(believers):

Luke 21:3434"But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, 

and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 

36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, 

and to stand before the Son of Man." 

Look, we have to guard fervently against all of the above mentioned things........we also MUST watch and pray that we may be counted worthy to escape these things (because they will come!) and we must pray that we will be able to stand before the Son of Man.  We must watch and be sober......(calm, collected in spirit).  We must.... 

1 Thess. 5: 22 Abstain from every form of evil.

23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rev. 3:2

2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. a

References for Revelation 3:2

• u 3:2 - NU-Text and M-Text read My God.

3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

Edited by tsth

You are all missing the point of this thread...it is NOT about when He returns, it IS about HOW!

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. c

11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
 14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;

It is about who can endure the Day of His Coming:

Malachi 3:1 "Behold, I send My messenger, And he will prepare the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, Will suddenly come to His temple, Even the Messenger of the covenant, In whom you delight. Behold, He is coming," Says the Lord of hosts.
2 "But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire And like launderer's soap.

Luke 21:34 "But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly.
35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth.
36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy c to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man."

In His Truth,
Suzanne
Edited by tsth

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

You are all missing the point of this thread...it is NOT about when He returns, it IS about HOW!

Sorry Suzanne, but you are applying  the unexpected coming of Christ for His Church to His expected Second Coming with the saints, which will follow the Great Tribulation (the Day of the LORD).  Please note (Mt 24:29,30) that the whole world will see Christ and mourn:

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:  And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

Sorry Suzanne, but you are applying  the unexpected coming of Christ for His Church to His expected Second Coming with the saints, which will follow the Great Tribulation (the Day of the LORD).  Please note (Mt 24:29,30) that the whole world will see Christ and mourn:

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:  And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Jesus returns like a thief after the armies gather for Armageddon.

• “Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.”  And they gathered them together to the place which in Hebrew is called Har-Magedon.  Revelation 16:15-16

That's certainly not addressed to unbelievers.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I am sorry, but I won't be able to post the rest of this...my browser does not work with the forum and I cannot get it to post.

In His Love,

Suzanne

I had to switch browsers to be able to use this and other forums, Suzanne.  Which one are you using?

Hi MorningGlory,

I'm using Edge, but I have a new desktop, that doesn't have a decent Word processing program on it...so this may be part of the problem as well, with regard to the cut and paste issue?  I notice that the cut and paste from Crosswalk Bible Study, doesn't show up right?  Anyway, it is too difficult for me to post here, so won't be trying to do any Bible discussions...wish I could.  :(

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Hi MorningGlory,

I'm using Edge, but I have a new desktop, that doesn't have a decent Word processing program on it...so this may be part of the problem as well, with regard to the cut and paste issue?  I notice that the cut and paste from Crosswalk Bible Study, doesn't show up right?  Anyway, it is too difficult for me to post here, so won't be trying to do any Bible discussions...wish I could.  :(

In His Love,

Suzanne

Mty advice is to switch to FireFox for your browser.  If you need a word processing program there are free ones out there.  Just Google.  I absolutely can't even use the quote feature here with Edge so I'll be willing to bet that is the problem.  You should be able to cut and paste from anywhere if you have the right browser.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

im•mi•nent

(ˈɪm ə nənt)

adj.

1. likely to occur at any moment; impending: Her death is imminent.

The imminent return of Christ for the Church was a doctrine generally held by evangelical and fundamental Christians. However, because of tremendous opposition to the Pre-Tribulation Rapture, that doctrine has been muddied and weakened, especially by date-setters and anti-Dispensationalists.

Christ's frequent warnings to believers to be constantly watching for His return means that He can come at any moment. Paul and the Christians of the apostolic churches expected His return at any moment, and so should we.  Only God knows when Christ will come for His saints. In the meantime we are commanded to watch and pray, be eternally vigilant, and be always abounding in the work of the Lord. The metaphor of soldiers in a battle is apt.

Christ's return is not imminent.  2 Thessalonians 2 dismantles the imminence argument single-handedly.  It states that the apostasy and the revealing of the man of sin happens before the resurrection / rapture.

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.  2 Thessalonians 2:1-3

The opposition to the pre-trib rapture is coming about because people are beginning to see that it's only a fantasy which has no scriptural basis.  I'm one of them.  It's demise has nothing to do with date setters or some dispensation view.

The part in orange is the resurrection / rapture.  The part in green is the revealing of the false prophet.  The green part must come before the orange part, therefore, imminence is a myth.  And please don't try and tell me that the apostasy is a reference to the rapture because that makes even less sense.  I've actually heard that attempt at explaining it away.

The belief in the imminent return of Christ by the first Chirstians is indeed NOT a myth my friend.

Paul obviously didn't subscribe to it.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  37

im•mi•nent

(ˈɪm ə nənt)

adj.

1. likely to occur at any moment; impending: Her death is imminent.

The imminent return of Christ for the Church was a doctrine generally held by evangelical and fundamental Christians. However, because of tremendous opposition to the Pre-Tribulation Rapture, that doctrine has been muddied and weakened, especially by date-setters and anti-Dispensationalists.

Christ's frequent warnings to believers to be constantly watching for His return means that He can come at any moment. Paul and the Christians of the apostolic churches expected His return at any moment, and so should we.  Only God knows when Christ will come for His saints. In the meantime we are commanded to watch and pray, be eternally vigilant, and be always abounding in the work of the Lord. The metaphor of soldiers in a battle is apt.

Christ's return is not imminent.  2 Thessalonians 2 dismantles the imminence argument single-handedly.  It states that the apostasy and the revealing of the man of sin happens before the resurrection / rapture.

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.  2 Thessalonians 2:1-3

The opposition to the pre-trib rapture is coming about because people are beginning to see that it's only a fantasy which has no scriptural basis.  I'm one of them.  It's demise has nothing to do with date setters or some dispensation view.

The part in orange is the resurrection / rapture.  The part in green is the revealing of the false prophet.  The green part must come before the orange part, therefore, imminence is a myth.  And please don't try and tell me that the apostasy is a reference to the rapture because that makes even less sense.  I've actually heard that attempt at explaining it away.

The belief in the imminent return of Christ by the first Chirstians is indeed NOT a myth my friend.

Paul obviously didn't subscribe to it.

Actually yes he did.

1Cor. 7:8,26-27,29-34

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. . . . I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress—that it is good for a man to remain as he is: Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. . . . But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none, those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice, those who buy as though they did not possess, and those who use this world as not misusing it. For the form of this world is passing away. But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. But he who is married cares about the things of the world—how he may please his wife. There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

tsth

You might of missed my reply above because it only got put on here today.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. c

How does he come?  This verse is referencing his coming to those who fell asleep.  This is the 2nd judgement and they face Christ for judgement.  They died in their sins, and now judged to be thrown into the lake of fire.  All those who are cast into the lake of fire will be done away with when God melts the earth. 

So he comes in the 2nd judgement, after the thousand years, because the earth will not be melted at the 2nd coming.

11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;

We have to watch out or we will be melted with the earth when this happens.  We look forward to this day when everything is finalised and all the saints are together as one, Christ's job completed for man.  Evil gone.

Edited by Sister