• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

The known world was much bigger than just what they reached in the first century, sure, they did not know about the New World, but they knew there was more to the north and to the east. Even now, we know that the whole world, has not been reached with the Gospel, so whether they understood the time or not, WE certainly know it was not imminent in their time, so it harldy matters if they got it wrong. Peters death and the world wide preaching of the gospel, are just a couple of many things that show imminence was not then and still not now, if by that term we mean at any moment. 70 A.D. did not fit the description of what they were looking for either, It could have looked like it at the time, but, if that had been the Great Tribulation, then they would have expected Jesus immediate (not just imminent) visible return, and the whole thing with the stars and mood etc. The thing they were told to expect about the abomination of desolation, did not come to pass in a very imoressive way, though they could be forgiven for not being able to understand that yet. I am not going to discuss imminence, or the lack thereof in this thread, but you might find the link in my signature about that topic interesting.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

The known world was much bigger than just what they reached in the first century, sure, they did not know about the New World, but they knew there was more to the north and to the east. Even now, we know that the whole world, has not been reached with the Gospel, so whether they understood the time or not, WE certainly know it was not imminent in their time, so it harldy matters if they got it wrong. Peters death and the world wide preaching of the gospel, are just a couple of many things that show imminence was not then and still not now, if by that term we mean at any moment. 70 A.D. did not fit the description of what they were looking for either, It could have looked like it at the time, but, if that had been the Great Tribulation, then they would have expected Jesus immediate (not just imminent) visible return, and the whole thing with the stars and mood etc. The thing they were told to expect about the abomination of desolation, did not come to pass in a very imoressive way, though they could be forgiven for not being able to understand that yet. I am not going to discuss imminence, or the lack thereof in this thread, but you might find the link in my signature about that topic interesting.

We aren't talking about what we know now.  What we know now is based on hindsight which is always 20/20.  They did not have benefit of such hindsight. 

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,987
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

Why do you think he didn't believe the apostasy and man of lawlessness would be revealed imminently?

What I'm saying is that based on this passage, there are things which must take place before the rapture.  Therefore, the rapture is not an imminent event.  There are prerequisites.

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.  2 Thessalonians 2:1-3

Regarding the resurrection / rapture, the apostasy and a revealing must take place first.  Not only does this passage disprove the imminent rapture of the church, it also disproves the church being the restrainer mentioned in verses 6-9.

I understand what you're saying, but it seems you don't think Paul thought any of those could be imminent.   I'm asking why you think Paul did not think they were imminent?

I don't know what Paul thought about the imminence of the apostasy and the revealing of the man of sin.  That passage really doesn't address that.  By inference, it seems that someone was telling the Thessalonians that the day of the Lord had already come but Paul was saying that can't be true because the apostasy, etc. must happen before we are gathered together to Him.

All unfulfilled prophecy will at some point become imminent.  I agree with what OmegaMan wrote.  It would seem that from the apostle's perspective that there was much to be done first, proclaiming the gospel to all the nations.  So whether Paul thought the apostasy was imminent in his day or not, I'm inclined to think not, but I really have no way of knowing for sure his specific thoughts on it.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

What I wonder about the apostles and their thoughts on imminence - weren't they aware that there were some things that would happen, like Peter living to old age before being crucified, the Gospel being preached to the whole world etc, that had to come first? Seems  to me that they should have understood, that a day would come, when things are imminent, but it was not in their time as they were writing.

Regardless of all other factors, the Scriptures quoted above make it quite plain that the apostles believed in the imminent (at any moment and unexpectedly) return of Christ for His saints. Since Jesus had already said that Christians were to watch because He would come in such an hour that they did not expect, the apostles took that literally.

Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him and in an hour that he is not aware of,

Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.