• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

1 Chorinthians 12:28

'And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.' 

I think Paul was trying to say these gifts are greater than tongues because afterward he talks about the Chorinthian church babbling so much in tongues, trying to look super spiritual or something.  

Is there more to this than just to get people to quit showing off, because it says 'God has appointed first' It's not like they have some more authority or something if they have greater gifts ( except apostles and the like)

Perhaps there is absolutely nothing more than that, but I was wondering.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,029
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, it really looks pretty cut and dry to me.....    except maybe the tongues he's speaking of isn't what those people are doing to look super spiritual.

As a person who prays in tongues privately (usually in intercessory prayer) I can honestly say that it's not something to put over any other gift.   I certainly didn't ask for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, Pamelasv said:

1 Chorinthians 12:28

'And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.' 

Paul is indicating the relative importance of spiritual gifts here, which also corresponds to the list in Ephesians 4:11, where he shortens the list to those who minister the Word (apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers). It is significant that apostles come first, and tongues come last, since Paul also tells us that tongues are the least of the gifts, and that he would rather speak 5 intelligible words of prophecy than 10,000 non-intelligible words in tongues. Since we know that the greatest spiritual gift is AGAPE (charity KJV), it stands to reasons that there is a ranking of spiritual gifts in Scripture.

• Group:  Senior Member

2 hours ago, simplejeff said:

Andrew Murray in Worthy Library expounds on the purpose and the need as God's Word says :

http://www.worthychristianlibrary.com/andrew-murray/working-for-god/chapter-15-in-the-work-of-ministering/

and he explains why ((and the remedy of Christ's Plan when what He says is, VS )) almost all the churches and forums and chatrooms have failed continually, possibly anyway.....

I started thinking maybe what was greater was that which edified or exhorted the body of Christ most.  This link does talk about that.  That is like verification to me.  I think.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I think you are right.  .vs 18-19  Paul said that he spoke in tongues more than "you all", but that he would rather speak in a language that could be understood to the congregation so that they could be edified. V.39 He also said not to forbid speaking in tongues, and in many places urges people to "pray in the Spirit". Eph 6:18, Jude 20, Rom. 8:26  In 1 Cor 14:15 he said he would pray with the Spirit and he would pray with his understanding; he will sing with the Spirit and he would sing with his understanding.  In other words the gift of tongues was mean to strengthen the believer privately in most cases whereas the other gifts are meant for the body of Christ corporately.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

If one speaks in tongues there should be someone to understand and interpret.

When in Prayer, the Spirit prays

• Group:  Senior Member

On 12/8/2015, 4:15:39, Littlelambseativy said:

If one speaks in tongues there should be someone to understand and interpret.

When in Prayer, the Spirit prays

Yes.  I think you are referring to corporately, right?  I think when Paul says if there is no interpretor, then let him speak to himself and God. I picture them prayi g in tongues quitely, under their breath. That is what I do. I do have the gift of tongues, usually when praying for someone is when it comes out. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Yes, I agree. Some feel that everyone must speak in tongues, but it is a gift given to some..others have equal gifts of teaching, ministering to needs etc. All are equally important.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,019
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I find it necessary to give thought to the fact of Paul spiritually desiring 5 intelligible words over 10,000 (not)... this being in community of body.
Then in private excluding any of this desire performing unknown in the fellowship of prayer.  When in fact God maintains this promise
Jas 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
KJV

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,029
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, I have been required  to pray for people in the middle of the night when they were in both spiritual and physical danger.....   I have done so both in tongues and in English.....      I accept it as needed, but I really don't know why I need to pray for someone when God already knows they need his help...

That i really don't understand....     and it's unnerving to wake up in the middle of the night in a mental fit sensing the danger for someone...