• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Sounds like a newbie subject, I know, but I honestly still do not find it easy to read. Maybe someone who has knowledge in Greek can shed some light here. 

The 'poor' in spirit are what?

Blessed are those who mourn. Why?

Blessed are the gentle ( mine says, tho others say meek ) what is it really? 

I get the rest of it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

On 11/12/2015, 06:22:00, Pamelasv said:

Sounds like a newbie subject, I know, but I honestly still do not find it easy to read. Maybe someone who has knowledge in Greek can shed some light here. 

I get the rest of it.

The poor in spirit are those who are not haughty before God, but have humbled themselves under His mighty hand.  The ones who mourn are those who not only repent and mourn for their sins but mourn for the souls of others, that they might be saved. The meek are those who are not self-centered and self-assertive.  All these are blessed because they are exhibiting the Spirit of Christ, who was meek, humble, and mourned over the lost.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

We can also say, spiritually speaking, all of humanity is spiritually impoverished but those who recognize their spiritual poverty are blessed. No one gets saved without repentance and the humble, as Ezra mentions, will be exhaulted.

I believe when we truly understand the prophetic writings, not the time line stuff, but the truth of the state of humanity and the horror that awaits those who do not love the truth, one cannot help but mourn. Read the most depressing of all books, Lamentations. This only ends well for those of us in the life boat and there are plenty of empty seats. 

Not sure how to approach meek, kind of want to say something about the power Christ had at His disposal but yet became a servant.  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Zemke said:

Not sure how to approach meek, kind of want to say something about the power Christ had at His disposal but yet became a servant.  

Amen. Meek is not weak but so powerful that strength is displayed in gentleness, and Christ is our example (Mt 12:19,20):  He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.  A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.

For example , an extremely strong giant would need to be extremely gentle when shaking hands, in order to avoid breaking the bones of someone who was his friend.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

10 hours ago, Zemke said:

I cannot get rid of the above entirely on my phone, ever, once I quote.  

The definition of meek is more clearer now.  It is always used as a synonym with humble, but they are not the same, just related.  And some people describe poor in spirit as humble, AND meek, so that is where some confusion was.  

I am wondering now about blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.  I gather been comforted by God is a big blessing.  Better than living as the world does, and never getting a comfort from God.  Sounds kind of like cheap explanation, but I don't really know what it is supposed to be.  

What is the Greek word used here for gentle or meek? Actually, where is a good place for me to go to find it? 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 11 December, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Pamelasv said:

I get the rest of it.

I always thought that Jesus is discriving or talking about himself, bless are those who mourn can be seen within the relief The comfort  that is coming. 

When someone looses his children he mourns, cause his children are not with him. 

Or when someone takes his children away and he can not be with his children then he mourns till the time they be together again.

From the other point of view, we can see David mourn, because he can not be with the Lord God forever, he new that, at the time of his death that he will be separated from The Lord God. 

And for the same reasons the children of God mourn, for they new that at the time of their death that they will be separated from him. 

Jesus having in mind the relief he will bring to his children, he said you will be comforted, the time is coming that you will be together with God and not separated anymore.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I think of humble as an attitude toward people, but it also applies as toward God.  It is the opposit of proud and haughtly.

Meek is a better translation than gentle.  Meak is an attitude of compliance toward authority, and especially toward God.  Examples are Mary saying be it done unto me according to thy will, or Jesus saying nevertheless not my will be done but thine.  They are obedient without murmuring or complaining, or without resisting.  It involves humility of the spirit as well as gentleness.

Meed--Prautes from Vine.  Rather it is an inwrought grace of the soul;  and the exercises of it are chiefly toward God.  It is that temper of the spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting.  It follows directly upon humility.  --It is only the humble of heart which is also meek, and which as such does not fight against God and more or less contend with Him.  ---even can be described as such in the face of evil men, out of some sense that their insults and injuries are permitted by God for our chastening, purifying and growth.  (Some paraphrasing by me).  

It can be discribed as power under control

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.45
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 12/11/2015 at 11:22 AM, Pamelasv said:

I get the rest of it.

Dear sister Pamelasv,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

The poor (or humble) in spirit are those who emptied themselves as Jesus did (Philippians 2:5-8), so that Jesus could reign in their lives in a heavenly way (Matthew 5:3).

Once the individual has emptied himself, he will be blessed when he cries because in this case the sorrow that is taking his heart is sorrow according to the Eternal, which works the repentance that leads to salvation (2Corinthians 7:9-10).

That is to say, he will not be weeping for selfish reasons, but experiencing in himself the sorrow of Christ for His body (Philippians 3: 8-10; Colossians 1:24). These will shelter within themselves the very present comfort of the Eternal (Psalm 46:1), able to comfort the oppressed of His people (Isaiah 14:32, 2 Corinthians 1:3-6) so that firmness of faith may “spill over into” their hearts (see 1 Peter 5.8,9).

Once the individual humbled himself and received Jesus and His suffering for His body, blessed he will be if he is meek, that is to say, if he, instead of wanting to resolve everything by force or violence, let the Spirit of the Eternal fulfill His will through him (Zechariah 4: 6). They will inherit the new heaven and the new earth where righteousness dwells (2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21: 1).

Even here it is possible to understand the reason why he who emptied himself, let the mind of Christ be his own and separated to be used exclusively by the Eternal (and no longer for his corrupted soul) will be fed up with justice and blessed to be this his food and drink. After all, such a person will no longer be dominated by the justice of this world, but filled with the desire to see the Eternal exercise the righteousness of His kingdom which guarantees us His provision (and not the one this world's - Matthew 6.33).

Detail: perceive how justice is related to the kingdom, that is, to want to be part of this kingdom.

Now that the individual has humbled himself, he has received the sentiment of Christ in himself, sanctified himself, and was seized by the justice of the Eternal, blessed is he who is merciful. He will attain to mercy (or, if you will, be attained by it - Psalm 23:6).

Once the individual has emptied himself, he received the will of Christ in himself, sanctified himself, was filled with the justice of the Eternal and of mercy, blessed if he cleanses his heart with the Word (having his faith perfected). He will finally be able to see the Eternal.

And since the Eternal has cleansed the heart of those who have humbled themselves, received Jesus and His will within himself, put on meekness, made righteousness his maintenance, and mercy his way of life, blessed will be if he occupies the role of peacemaker (ambassador of Christ - 2Corinthians 5:18-20), that is, someone who will be used by Jesus to establish peace between the sinner and the Eternal. This is what it means to be a son of the Eternal, since that is what Jesus did.

And under these conditions, blessed when such an individual is persecuted for righteousness's sake (Matt. 5:10), for this is a confirmation that the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to him. This being true, the more he is reviled, persecuted and slandered in any way because of Jesus, the greater will be his reward (Matt. 5:11,12).

May Jesus help us to live the sermon on the mountain.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/10/1988

On 12/11/2015 at 7:22 AM, Pamelasv said:

I get the rest of it.

This presentation on the Beautitudes gives an awesome understand and explanation. If you can spare the time, please watch it.

Edited by Steve_S
Removed youtube link. Please post youtube videos in the appropriate video forum.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 12/11/2015 at 8:22 AM, Pamelasv said:

I get the rest of it.

Shalom, Pamelasv.

Why do we always have to add words to what Yeshua` said?

Matthew 5:3-12
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: (why?) for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (from the sky).
4 Blessed are they that mourn: (why?) for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: (why?) for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: (why?) for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: (why?) for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: (why?) for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: (why?) for they shall be called the children of God.
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: (why?) for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (from the sky).
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. (why?)
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven (in the sky; i.e., when Yeshua` comes back): for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
KJV

The RESURRECTION and the COMING KINGDOM - GOD'S KINGDOM - THE KINGDOM FROM THE SKY - are the answers to these incessant "why's!"

The English word "blessed" comes from the same root as "bliss." It means "HAPPY!" The Greek word being used in this passage is "makarioi," the plural of the word "makarios":

NT:3107 makarios (mak-ar'-ee-os); a prolonged form of the poetical makar (meaning the same); supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off:
KJV - blessed, happy (X -ier).

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

We might say, "You lucky dog!"

The Hebrew or Aramaic word is "aashar," meaning...

OT:833 'aashar (aw-shar'); or 'aasher (aw-share'); a primitive root; to be straight (used in the widest sense, especially to be level, right, happy); figuratively, to go forward, be honest, proper:
KJV - (call, be) bless (-ed, happy), go, guide, lead, relieve.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

It's not in being "poor in spirit" in which they will be happy; it's when they can claim what is theirs! When God's Kingdom from the sky comes, THAT'S when they shall be happy!

It's not in "mourning" that they will be happy! (How weird is THAT?!) It's when they shall be comforted in the RESURRECTION of our bodies! How wonderful it will be to see those we've lost come up out of their graves, fully triumphant over death, never to die again! THAT'S "comfort!" It's like the ending of Winston Churchill's funeral: They blew Taps at one end of the cathedral, but after the last note died away, they blew REVEILLE at the other end!

When the King returns, He shall give the "meek" their inheritance, the land they've inherited!

When the King returns, He shall give a feast for all those who are currently "hungry and thirsty."

Those who are merciful to others now shall likewise be shown mercy by the King when He returns in His Kingdom.

Those who are pure in heart shall be as pillars in God's Temple, actually being able to see God!

Those who are the peacemakers now shall be called, "God's children," as He dotes on them for their generosity!

And, if you've been persecuted for the sake of righteousness? You ain't seen NUTHIN', YET! WHOOPIE!

Meditate on this and let it sink in!

• Brilliant! 1