Tanner Brody

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

"The king then gave orders, and they brought those men who had maliciously accused Daniel, and they cast them, their children and their wives into the lions’ den; and they had not reached the bottom of the den before the lions overpowered them and crushed all their bones."

Sorry if this is a silly question (I'm a new Christian), but why slaughter the women and children? Are there elements of the bible that is not nessesarly condoned by God but just a recording of history?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

40 minutes ago, Tanner Brody said:

"The king then gave orders, and they brought those men who had maliciously accused Daniel, and they cast them, their children and their wives into the lions’ den; and they had not reached the bottom of the den before the lions overpowered them and crushed all their bones."

Sorry if this is a silly question (I'm a new Christian), but why slaughter the women and children? Are there elements of the bible that is not nessesarly condoned by God but just a recording of history?

The bible is actually a collection of books like a mini library - some of the books are in the historical genre.   Just because something is in the bible doesn't mean it was right to do.   The bible contains stories of the evils men do as well as the good.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

3 hours ago, Tanner Brody said:

Be careful, there is a lot to learn concerning God.  Things like this you have read can be absolutely offensive to the conscience  and moral sensibilities.  We must come to a place where we can accept the truth regardless of what it is about God and still love, honor, trust and obey God.  God is God and knows all that will happen, has the power to prevent anything from happening but allows things to happen for his ultimate purpose and is righteous and just in doing so.  When I came to scriptures like this one or others more disturbing I brought it to God in prayer and simply asked as a child to a father "why?".  Over time much was revealed to me that helped me have a much healthier fear of God that governs my actions.  I pray God will help you understand why as you grow in faith.

• Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

It is actually Daniel 6:24.. King Darius was insensed by those who wanted Daniel and his two friends to be killed for not obeying the command to bow down and worship him after he had seen the angel keeping the 3 safe in the Lions' den. He realized that the God Daniel and his friends worshipped was mighty and punished the men and their whole families for wanting to destroy the godly men and most likely feared repercussion from Almighty God if he did not punish the men who wished to destroy the Israelite men.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, Tanner Brody said:

This is indeed a historical record of what actually happened, not necessarily what God condoned.  Frequently (if not always) if a man was guilty of a crime (or sin) in those days, his family was condemned along with him. Therefore the children were also killed.  There are several incidents in the Bible similar to this, the most well-known being the Flood of Noah's day. Other than Noah and his family, all human beings then living were destroyed.

11 hours ago, thereselittleflower said:

The bible is actually a collection of books like a mini library - some of the books are in the historical genre.   Just because something is in the bible doesn't mean it was right to do.   The bible contains stories of the evils men do as well as the good.

So then how are we supposed to know which ones God condones and which ones are just there for recording history? I seen people make the same argument at church for Leviticus 20:13 " If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Is God saying this is okay to kill gay people (even in old testment times ) or is this historical record like killing children in the lions den?

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

This is indeed a historical record of what actually happened, not necessarily what God condoned.  Frequently (if not always) if a man was guilty of a crime (or sin) in those days, his family was condemned along with him. Therefore the children were also killed.  There are several incidents in the Bible similar to this, the most well-known being the Flood of Noah's day. Other than Noah and his family, all human beings then living were destroyed.

So then how are we supposed to know which ones God condones and which ones are just there for recording history? I seen people make the same argument at church for Leviticus 20:13 " If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Is God saying this is okay to kill gay people (even in old testment times ) or is this historical record like killing children in the lions den?

8 hours ago, gdemoss said:

Be careful, there is a lot to learn concerning God.  Things like this you have read can be absolutely offensive to the conscience  and moral sensibilities.  We must come to a place where we can accept the truth regardless of what it is about God and still love, honor, trust and obey God.  God is God and knows all that will happen, has the power to prevent anything from happening but allows things to happen for his ultimate purpose and is righteous and just in doing so.  When I came to scriptures like this one or others more disturbing I brought it to God in prayer and simply asked as a child to a father "why?".  Over time much was revealed to me that helped me have a much healthier fear of God that governs my actions.  I pray God will help you understand why as you grow in faith.

What are you saying gdemoss? Be careful not to ask questions that you may not like the answers too? If you've prayed about this verse Daniel 16:24, do tell what God has told you? Did he say I disagree with the King? Growing in my faith means asking these questions.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

6 minutes ago, Tanner Brody said:

Learn how the earliest christians understood their faith

You can read the Early Church Fathers here:

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

Also, read the Old Testament in light of the New.   The Old Testament was filled with what are called types and shadows of what was to come, types and shadows of what is found in the New Testament.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, Ezra said:

So then how are we supposed to know which ones God condones and which ones are just there for recording history? I seen people make the same argument at church for Leviticus 20:13 " If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Tanner,

Please keep in mind that under the Law of Moses, many sins (including adultery) were punishable by death.  And God Himself destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of their homosexual perversions. So yes, God allowed (and even commanded) the destruction of men, women and children in the Old Testament (based on His righteousness).

After Christ came to this earth, God began to deal differently with men, and when his apostles once asked whether they should call down fire from Heaven upon His enemies, He said "No". So since the coming of Christ, God offers forgiveness and salvation to those who repent and believe, and He reserves judgment for the unbelieving and the ungodly.