IGNORED

If you could rewrite the Bible what would you change?

Tanner Brody

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I had a dream last night in which an angel appeared and told me "They are confused. Use your prose to unite them." When I awoke I thought deeply about this and realized what he's saying. There exists so much confusion today on the meaning of the bible (Catholic, Mormon, Jehavohs Witness, Seven Day Adventists, etc.. all interpret the scriptures differently). I would probably make changes to a few verses so it would be more clear, my first choice...

The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

This reminds me of the final scene in the Omen (1976) where the father stabs his son on the alter. Even if God intervens at the last minute, don't you think that child is going to be scarred emotionally for the rest of his life? I know if my dad tried to kill me and then stopped at the last minute tellng me God changed his mind I'd run far away in case it ever happens again.

Second choice...

In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

This goes back to my early questions about why women and children had to die in Daniel 16:24.  Why kill all the innocents too? I would make it clear in the rewriting that slavery is wrong, killing gay people is wrong, and adjust other things so that they can't be taken out of context. Any book that has been transcribed over and over through 2000 years something may get lost (even the meanings of word has changed since then) so I believe the angel had a good point.  

If you could pick just one or two scriptures (old or new testement) in the bible and change it, which would you choose?

Edited by Tanner Brody

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I wouldn't change a thing. :)

God used men to write the Bible we have. Since He is the only Almighty God, I'm going to trust that He wrote what we needed to know and has preserved it through time. Paul said that all things in the scriptures were written for our learning and growth, so that means it all has a purpose, even if I don't understand why certain passages are there right now. Understanding the scriptures either comes with time and experience in this life - or when we step into eternity.

On dreams, visions, and other "experiences": always compare them with the written word of God. Anything that goes contrary to the Bible is not from God and should be tossed out.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

44 minutes ago, Tanner Brody said:

I had a dream last night in which an angel appeared and told me "They are confused. Use your prose to unite them." When I awoke I thought deeply about this and realized what he's saying. There exists so much confusion today on the meaning of the bible (Catholic, Mormon, Jehavohs Witness, Seven Day Adventists, etc.. all interpret the scriptures differently). I would probably make changes to a few verses so it would be more clear, my first choice...

The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

This reminds me of the final scene in the Omen (1976) where the father stabs his son on the alter. Even if God intervens at the last minute, don't you think that child is going to be scarred emotionally for the rest of his life? I know if my dad tried to kill me and then stopped at the last minute tellng me God changed his mind I'd run far away in case it ever happens again.

Second choice...

In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

This goes back to my early questions about why women and children had to die in Daniel 16:24.  Why kill all the innocents too? I would make it clear in the rewriting that slavery is wrong, killing gay people is wrong, and adjust other things so that they can't be taken out of context. Any book that has been transcribed over and over through 2000 years something may get lost (even the meanings of word has changed since then) so I believe the angel had a good point.  

If you could pick just one or two scriptures (old or new testement) in the bible and change it, which would you choose?

When you look at the Old Testament and see such things as God saying to strike Amalek and everyone wtih him, if you read that from a 21st century mindset in our culture, etc, it's not going to make a lot of sense.

But if you put yourself back in time to the time and culture the event took place in, and look at the scripture in its larger context, God is visiting judgment on them through Samuel.   If we think that is terrible, what will we think of the final judgment?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I can't rewrite the Bible, I'm not qualified. (but then who is)

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

59 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

When you look at the Old Testament and see such things as God saying to strike Amalek and everyone wtih him, if you read that from a 21st century mindset in our culture, etc, it's not going to make a lot of sense.

But if you put yourself back in time to the time and culture the event took place in, and look at the scripture in its larger context, God is visiting judgment on them through Samuel.   If we think that is terrible, what will we think of the final judgment?

Very true. The Bible is a "Middle East-centric" book. It was written in and to people of a time and culture that we're not familiar with as 21st Century Westerners. That's why its important to become part of a good bible preaching and teaching local church where new converts can learn with help from other believers. I remember trying to read the Bible when I was in High School - and it made no sense, partly due to the historical/cultural problem and the fact that I wasn't saved at the time. :)

Part of the history in the OT is that ancient peoples did not have the resources to keep people in prison for long periods of time like we do today. Capital punishment was the norm for a lot of things back then. Kings and royalty in general had a bad habit of killing off anyone they disagreed with and there were no appeals. Life was pretty brutal in general and travel was neither safe or comfortable. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

wouldnt change a thing, the Bible is  Gods holy inspired word, if I was to change any of that, with my earthly knowledge, it would no longer be inspired, but just as heretical as the book of enoch.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

At the age of 7, I wondered why Bibles were covered in black and wished they were white.

I love the way the first printed Bible was illustrated and beautified with calligraphy writing and ornate borders, even using gold leaf. When I heard about what the Bible had survived, what sacrifices were made to keep it for us today, I reverenced it, and never allowed it to become dusty, or laid beneath other books or articles. Never to be placed below chair level, or on the floor. I was really careful in turning the pages to not crease them etc. I felt totally privileged to have a copy (an ordinary KJV), for which many innocent and loving people lost their lives, because they were heard quoting it or even having a hand copied page in their possession.

I believe the Bible is Holy, and under the eye of God, so it is also a double edged sword, it will cut both ways, to protect and to kill, to save and to condemn. Heaven will not help anyone who disrespects this article, by writing changed versions of it, by adding and subtracting from it, by misquoting it, causing confusion and divisions, and by neglecting to know it. 

It is just paper and possibly leather, but it isn't just that either, it's a legislative order of a consuming fire that will literally burn the very elements of the world one day.

I have often wonder why it is so difficult to read and understand sometimes, and could think of a dozen ways to say things differently. But if I met Christ, would I accept Him for who He is, or would I seek to change Him before acceptance? Is He very different and hard to understand sometimes? Yes, but who needs to change and learn here? Me.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, oldzimm said:

I can't rewrite the Bible, I'm not qualified. (but then who is)

Absolutely correct.

3 hours ago, Tanner Brody said:

That would be called "tampering" with the Word of God. The Bible is clear enough. But the Bible is a spiritual book, therefore only those who are taught by the Holy Spirit will discern the truth.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

48 minutes ago, Kan said:

I have often wonder why it is so difficult to read and understand sometimes, and could think of a dozen ways to say things differently. 

There are only "some" things which are hard to be understood. But the application of that which is plain is harder, because it demands the mortification of "the flesh" . 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I wouldn't change anything.  Revelation is very clear.  You are neither to add or take away from the Bible, if you add to this book  the plagues of this book will be added to you, if you take away from this book then your name will be taken away from the book of life.  God has put it all together perfectly.