IGNORED

If you could rewrite the Bible what would you change?

Tanner Brody

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  37

17 minutes ago, RustyAngeL said:

I wouldn't change anything.  Revelation is very clear.  You are neither to add or take away from the Bible, if you add to this book  the plagues of this book will be added to you, if you take away from this book then your name will be taken away from the book of life.  God has put it all together perfectly.  

When the book of Revelation was written, what book did the writer have in mind when he wrote that?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I wouldn't rewrite anything for I believe the Bible to be inerrant and the true Word of God. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, the_patriot2015 said:

wouldnt change a thing, the Bible is  Gods holy inspired word, if I was to change any of that, with my earthly knowledge, it would no longer be inspired, but just as heretical as the book of enoch.

The Book of Enoch was accepted as canon until around 400 AD. I also believe that Mormons consider the first edition of Enoch as part of the Book of Moses and legitimate. (although I could be wrong)

5 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I wouldn't rewrite anything for I believe the Bible to be inerrant and the true Word of God. 

If the Bible said that black people were to be stoned on the spot, would you still folow the bible unconditionally or would you consider this a mistake made by those who authored the testement? The reason I bring this up is because I work with a Mormon who admits African-Americans were not allowed to hold priesthood positions (and were generally excluded altogether from recruitment) until 1978. When I asked him about this, he was able to explain how this is not racism, it's preserving sacred rights as non-Jews were traditionally excluded from entering the Temple in Palestine during Jesus's time. His knowledge of the scriptures is so much greater than mine that Mormons could be executing children right now and he'd be able to point to something in the bible that condones it. A much easier example is this: I was raised Catholic. My mother prayes to Mary, believeing she is Holy. In fact growing up, if I lost something, I was told to pray to St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost articles. When I joined my protestant church as a new Christian last year, I am now told no one should ever pray to anythone but the Trinity - God the Father, Jesus the Son, or the Holy Spirit. Praying to anybody else is blasphemy. 

6 hours ago, Ezra said:

Absolutely correct.

That would be called "tampering" with the Word of God. The Bible is clear enough. But the Bible is a spiritual book, therefore only those who are taught by the Holy Spirit will discern the truth.

I agree, but once agin my point is that if the bible was crystal clear about some of these issues, I wouldn't have a JW neighbor whose Watchtower group belives only 144,000 people are getting into heaven. When I confronted him on this, he handed me a tract and assured me every one of his beliefs can be validated in the scripture, (along with letting me know all other forms of Christianity were "demonic by nature".

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Not a thing...it was written in perfection by flawed humans.....a love story of rebellious people and a loving God. How could you improve on that.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

9 hours ago, thereselittleflower said:

When the book of Revelation was written, what book did the writer have in mind when he wrote that?

Do tell, teach us exactly how you know what book the writer had in mind when writing that, please.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

8 hours ago, Tanner Brody said:

The Book of Enoch was accepted as canon until around 400 AD. I also believe that Mormons consider the first edition of Enoch as part of the Book of Moses and legitimate. (although I could be wrong)

If the Bible said that black people were to be stoned on the spot, would you still folow the bible unconditionally or would you consider this a mistake made by those who authored the testement? The reason I bring this up is because I work with a Mormon who admits African-Americans were not allowed to hold priesthood positions (and were generally excluded altogether from recruitment) until 1978. When I asked him about this, he was able to explain how this is not racism, it's preserving sacred rights as non-Jews were traditionally excluded from entering the Temple in Palestine during Jesus's time. His knowledge of the scriptures is so much greater than mine that Mormons could be executing children right now and he'd be able to point to something in the bible that condones it. A much easier example is this: I was raised Catholic. My mother prayes to Mary, believeing she is Holy. In fact growing up, if I lost something, I was told to pray to St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost articles. When I joined my protestant church as a new Christian last year, I am now told no one should ever pray to anythone but the Trinity - God the Father, Jesus the Son, or the Holy Spirit. Praying to anybody else is blasphemy. 

I agree, but once agin my point is that if the bible was crystal clear about some of these issues, I wouldn't have a JW neighbor whose Watchtower group belives only 144,000 people are getting into heaven. When I confronted him on this, he handed me a tract and assured me every one of his beliefs can be validated in the scripture, (along with letting me know all other forms of Christianity were "demonic by nature".

The book of enoch was not accepted as canonical in any sense except by certain circles, most of which were cults, for good reason. It was and is, a heretical book. 

And there is no point in playing what ifs, but rather what it actually says. We can't pick and choose what to believe in it. If we start doing that, then we might as well not believe in it at all, because that is playing God.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

Tanner,

Your problem is not with the Bible. Mormons, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. are certainly not going to help you in understanding God's Word, because they have already gone off the rails with their false doctrines.

The first thing that you should grasp (and hold on to) is that the written Word of God is inspired, therefore it is inerrant, and therefore it is infallible.  Consequently nothing needs to be changed, and those who seek to add to Scripture, or subtract from Scripture, only seek spiritual confusion.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,570
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On December 27, 2015 at 7:48 PM, oldzimm said:

I can't rewrite the Bible, I'm not qualified. (but then who is)

Shalom, oldzimm.

Not very many are qualified to rewrite the Bible, but there are several who THINK they are. They are called Bible Translators, and they do it all the time! Many of the modern versions use a thought-for-thought technique these days, but in truth we don't have that many people who are so atuned to Scripture that they even KNOW what the thoughts are behind the words! Oh, they may THINK they do, but they really do not. So, instead of producing a good translation, they produce an "adequate" translation slanted to their way of thinking, which they base upon what they THINK they know about the thoughts behind the words.

A word-for-word technique is better, but the best such translation we have is over 400 years old, the KJV! The main problem people have with a word-for-word translation is that, sometimes, it doesn't seem to make sense. The trick in such a translation is to generalize the words chosen as much as humanly possible. That way, the words can apply to the context more generically and the CONTEXT itself can sort out the meaning of the words.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

On 12/27/2015 at 0:38 PM, the_patriot2015 said:

The book of enoch was not accepted as canonical in any sense except by certain circles, most of which were cults, for good reason. It was and is, a heretical book. 

And there is no point in playing what ifs, but rather what it actually says. We can't pick and choose what to believe in it. If we start doing that, then we might as well not believe in it at all, because that is playing God.

if the book is so terrible it can not be read; with the knowledge its not cannon; why was he taken up before death. seems someone that wrote something that bad would not make it to heaven let alone be spared death on earth so just like your take on that.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

it wasnt even written by enoch, but by several authors 2-3 centuries before Christ. yet people still attribute it to him. Thats your first clue the book is bad...but were digressing.