Sign in to follow this  
gamnot

Mashed Potatoes

Last night I tried to make mashed potatoes from scratch. I boiled red potatoes and then mashed them with a stick of margarine and milk, but it came out more like potato soup. I figure that I used too few potatoes and too much milk, I am sure that I will do better next time, but I wanted to make potato cakes from the mashed potatoes. Is the best way to do that to take two cups of mashed potatoes with one or two eggs, one fourth of flour, and oil and then fry the patties in a skillet?    Any advice?

1 minute ago, gamnot said:

Last night I tried to make mashed potatoes from scratch. I boiled red potatoes and then mashed them with a stick of margarine and milk, but it came out more like potato soup. I figure that I used too few potatoes and too much milk, I am sure that I will do better next time, but I wanted to make potato cakes from the mashed potatoes. Is the best way to do that to take two cups of mashed potatoes with one or two eggs, one fourth of flour, and oil and then fry the patties in a skillet?    Any advice?

That's the way I make potato cakes.  Just make sure not to turn them over too soon.  Let them brown good on one side, then flip them.   Good luck, hope they turn out delicious!  :)

This is my recipe for Mashed Potato pancakes

2 cups cold mashed potatoes

2 eggs,lightly beaten

1 tablespoon flour

Chopped chives to taste

salt and pepper to taste

bacon grease

1. Combine potatoes,lightly beaten eggs,flour,chives and salt and pepper in a bowl.Form into pancakes.

2. Heat skillet over medium heat with some bacon grease.Fry potato pancakes in the skillet,pressing with spatula to flatten.Cook until brown on underside and then turn over and fry until brown and crispy.You can serve them with sour cream.

47 minutes ago, bopeep1909 said:

This is my recipe for Mashed Potato pancakes

2 cups cold mashed potatoes

2 eggs,lightly beaten

1 tablespoon flour

Chopped chives to taste

salt and pepper to taste

bacon grease

1. Combine potatoes,lightly beaten eggs,flour,chives and salt and pepper in a bowl.Form into pancakes.

2. Heat skillet over medium heat with some bacon grease.Fry potato pancakes in the skillet,pressing with spatula to flatten.Cook until brown on underside and then turn over and fry until brown and crispy.You can serve them with sour cream.

Bacon grease, good ol bacon grease!!  I forgot that!  :D

Thanks for all the help, I will try bacon grease because I love bacon. I would not have thought of that without your help. I am going to use sour cream too.

20 minutes ago, C_Beth said:

Bacon grease, good ol bacon grease!!  I forgot that!  :D

Bacon grease gives the pancakes flavor :)

I tried it and it worked perfectly. The cakes are delicious.    Thanks again for the help. 

14 hours ago, gamnot said:

I tried it and it worked perfectly. The cakes are delicious.    Thanks again for the help. 

So glad they turned out good!!  

pancakes.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

21 hours ago, Davida said:

If you over mash potatoes they become starchy like wall paper paste . Plus you probably added too much milk too quickly. Try adding margarine or butter and only 1/4 cup of milk at a time as you are mashing them. Only add as much milk as you need, they should be fluffy consistency when you are finished. Some times I whip them up with a fork after I mash them.  Hope that helps ;) 

Yeah and if you use a electric mixer you can use it to hold your hat on a very windy day :emot-bulb: 

Thanks again for the Help.

Sign in to follow this