Khristeeanos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

I was looking on ChristianAudio.com and they have the entire CEB available for free download on audio. I've not heard of this version. It said on the page it is a Methodist translation. Anyone have a copy? How does it stack against the other translations?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

• Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

1 hour ago, tigger two said:

Yikes. Thanks. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

16 hours ago, Khristeeanos said:

I was looking on ChristianAudio.com and they have the entire CEB available for free download on audio. I've not heard of this version. It said on the page it is a Methodist translation. Anyone have a copy? How does it stack against the other translations?

Looks like another paraphrase, and the bracketed words have been added. Looks like all modern translators believe in taking liberties with the actual text (as though words do not matter).

1 In the beginning was the Word

and the Word was with God

and the Word was God.

2 [The Word]  was with God in the beginning.

3 Everything came into being through [the Word],

and without [the Word]

nothing came into being.

[What came into being]

4 [through the Word] was life,

and the life was the light for [all people].

5 The light shines in the darkness,

and the darkness [doesn’t extinguish the light].

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I haven't seen it.....    like a lot of others, the intent sounds good, but is it accurate.....   I would think one would have to read the whole thing to know.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

The Common English Bible is a dumb down version of the Bible to make it easier to read.  There's a problem with that.  You lose accuracy when you dumb down the rhetoric of one version for readability.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

this is copied from Got Questions?

Common English Bible – Translation Method
The publishers of the Common English Bible purport using a balance of dynamic equivalence and formal equivalence translation principles in order to reflect the best in accuracy to the original texts as well as ease of readability. Their goal was to produce a Bible that was written at a seventh-grade reading level—the same as that of the USA Today newspaper.

The translators used the popular Nestle-Arland Greek New Testament as a basis for the CEB New Testament. For the Old Testament, they used the various editions of the Masoretic text, as well as the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartgensia, the Biblia Hebraica Quinta, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the Septuagint.

Common English Bible – Pro’s and Con’s
One of the chief aims of the CEB is to use more natural wording as compared to traditional biblical terminology. In many ways, the CEB has achieved that goal, but some renderings can be problematic. A good example is the term “Son of Man.” Here is the New International Version’s translation of Ezekiel 2:1:

“He said to me, ‘Son of man, stand up on your feet and I will speak to you’” (Ezekiel 2:1, NIV).

The Common English Bible renders the same verse this way:

“The voice said to me: ‘Human one, stand on your feet, and I'll speak to you’” (Ezekiel 2:1, CEB).

In the New Testament, where Jesus calls Himself “the Son Man,” the Common English Version still renders it as “the Human One” (e.g., Matthew 8:20). This is unfortunate, since, as a title, “Human One” does not carry the same weight as “Son of Man.”

Some may find the bold terminology of the CEB to be a little too graphic for reading out loud or from the pulpit. A good example is found in Ezekiel 23:20:

“She lusted after their male consorts, whose sexual organs were like those of donkeys, and whose ejaculation was like that of horses” (CEB).

Common English Bible – Sample verses
John 1:114 – “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. The Word became flesh and made his home among us. We have seen his glory, glory like that of a father's only son, full of grace and truth.”

John 3:16 – “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him won't perish but will have eternal life.”

John 8:58 – “‘I assure you,’ Jesus replied, ‘before Abraham was, I Am.’”

Ephesians 2:8-9 – “You are saved by God’s grace because of your faith. This salvation is God’s gift. It’s not something you possessed. It’s not something you did that you can be proud of.”

Titus 2:13 – “At the same time we wait for the blessed hope and the glorious appearance of our great God and savior Jesus Christ.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of things that disturb me are the use of  "Human one"  in place of Son of Man.  The latter was a title of the Messiah in the Old Testament.  They also omit the word begotten.  Jesus is the only one conceived by God.  
On the other hand, Titus 2:13 is translated correctly according to New King James and the newest Byzantine text.

I fear that it will become another "Good News for Modern Man" which was considered more of a paraphrase than a translation.  

Personally, I am using the later renditions of the English Standard Version more often, even though I don't like it putting some verses into footnotes.  Yes, I finally broke down and bought yet another Bible.  But I doubt very much if I will be buying the CEB.  Notably missing from their board of advisors were any conservative or evangelical churches such as Baptist,  Nazarene, or Missouri Synod Lutheran.   

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

The Common English Bible is a dumb down version of the Bible to make it easier to read.  There's a problem with that.  You lose accuracy when you dumb down the rhetoric of one version for readability.

Do you, or do you explain in plane English what is so hard to say trying to word for word something to English....    I haven't read this version so I don't know about it, but I do have problem with every English translation I have and that is about 20.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

2 minutes ago, other one said:

Do you, or do you explain in plane English what is so hard to say trying to word for word something to English....    I haven't read this version so I don't know about it, but I do have problem with every English translation I have and that is about 20.

I know for a fact it is impossible to translate word for word from one language to another.  For one, you miss the poetry in Psalms that is only evident in the original language.  You also miss the ocassional play on words, in both the New and Old Testaments.  When I was translating Latin into English, it was difficult to impossible to find single word equivalents and make the sentences readable.  That's why I primarily use two Bibles: the NIV; and the NASB.  The NIV is a phrase for phrase translation.  The NASB is a word for word translation for the most part.  Some words have to be added in for readability.

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I know for a fact it is impossible to translate word for word from one language to another.  For one, you miss the poetry in Psalms that is only evident in the original language.  You also miss the ocassional play on words, in both the New and Old Testaments.  When I was translating Latin into English, it was difficult to impossible to find single word equivalents and make the sentences readable.  That's why I primarily use two Bibles: the NIV; and the NASB.  The NIV is a phrase for phrase translation.  The NASB is a word for word translation for the most part.  Some words have to be added in for readability.

I like to also use the ESV for there are some dead sea scroll stuff that goes into the translation that makes more sense.