Daily reflections on Bible readings

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Wasn't sure where to place this, but found a website that uses the KJV for its Bible readings and reflections. I really have been enjoying getting back into the Bible, I was an ex-Christian for a few years, and just recently returned last year and reading the Bible with spiritual eyes. It's been awesome to read it with a whole new perspective, and thought it might be nice to have a daily reflection here and if you'd like to discuss it, we can do that too :)  

(site is: http://www.christianaid.org.uk/resources/churches/daily-readings/ )

Today's reading...

St Luke 2, 22 – 24
Something to read

When the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord, "Every firstborn male shall be designated as holy to the Lord"), and they offered a sacrifice according to what is stated in the law of the Lord, "a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons." 
New Revised Standard Version

Something to think about

Luke is the only Gospel writer to record the event of Jesus’ life in chronological order and experts consider him to be one of the most accurate historians of his day although by trade he was a medical doctor.

Whether intentionally or not, Luke seems to be combining two rites here. One is the purification of the mother following the birth of a child (

Leviticus 12:1-8

) and the other is the presentation in the temple a consecration and redemption of the firstborn signifying that the child is "holy to the Lord"

Luke makes it clear that Jesus, from the very beginning, is obedient to the Law of Moses. He also confirms the devotion of Joseph and Mary to the law, mentioning the law three times in verses 22-24 and again in verses 27 and 39.

The law then in question is highlighted in

Exodus 13:2

. This is in commemoration of the Passover, where firstborn Jewish males were spared death. The law also requires a sacrifice of "a year old lamb and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering".

However, there is a provision in the law for a woman who cannot afford a lamb. In that case, she is allowed to sacrifice two turtledoves or two pigeons.

Something to do

In today’s unequal world of the few who have much and the many who have too little, it seems fairness has little to do with affordability. In the time of the writings of Luke people traded commodities but today we trade in financial currency. If you are able help someone in need by donating, making a pledge or volunteering to help others in your community so that your action becomes your witness.

Something to pray

Prince of Peace

you were born into a world

where terror reigned and fear ruled

and live today in a world crucified by war.

Fill us with your passion for justice

that wherever we see evil about

we may live to disturb its path

and strive to build bridges of reconciliation.

In darkness, beckon us with your kindly light

that we never lose sight of your vision of peace

in which the lion lies down with the lamb

On 1/31/2016 at 1:21 PM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Jan (Jan Murray, American comedian and game show host, died in 2006)

Today's reading :)

St Luke 2, 28 – 32

Something to read

Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying, 'Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace, according to your word;  for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.' 

New Revised Standard Version

Something to think about

Today is Candlemas. The day commemorates the ritual purification of Mary, 40 days after the birth of her son Jesus. This day also marks the ritual presentation of the baby Jesus to God in the Temple at Jerusalem. Simeon held the baby Jesus and called him a Light to the World.

Here we read the absolute Sovereign has kept his promise to Simeon, who now asks the Lord to let him die in peace. In the prophetic praise that follows, Jesus is equated with 'your salvation'.

It is not accidental that Jesus' name, in Hebrew Yeshua (a form of the name 'Joshua'), means literally, 'salvation'. So Simeon looks on the child named 'Salvation' and says, 'my eyes have seen your salvation...'

It is remarkable that Simeon sees Jesus' salvation as extending to all people - Gentiles and Jews alike. This is the same message the angel spoke to the shepherds on Christmas night: 'I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people' (Luke 2:10).

Something to do

When was the last time you heard good news? Maybe it was a wedding announcement, a birthday or a new job. We all want and wish for good news. The Gospel message tells us Jesus is good news to all people, especially the poor.

Today make your own good news happen - reconnect with a neighbour, work colleague or school friend and let them know you care.

Something to pray

Lord Christ, set me on fire 
Burn for me all that dims your light 
Kindle an answering flame in lives around; 
That darkness may be driven back into this world 
Transforming it with love. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.36

I'm not sure why I'm being quoted here from a word game thread.  I assume it's a mistake.

6 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I'm not sure why I'm being quoted here from a word game thread.  I assume it's a mistake.

lol I don't know why that captured that quote I wonder if when I quoted it in that other thread, if it stayed in 'cue.' I tried to edit it out of this thread, but I don't know how to delete it now. Sorry :b:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Here it may be a witness to unbelievers as well.  I am glad it is here.  Thank you for your meditations.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I also noticed that after these temple rites were performed the family returns to their home in Nazareth.   It was there that the Maji, the wise men from the east, found baby Jesus, now a little older.  They followed the star to where He was.  He is no longer referred to in Greek as a fetus or newborn in Matthew.  It is from their home that they must escape during the night to Egypt till this Herod is dead and it was safe to return to Nazareth.  

How precious all life is.  But it is for mankind that God sent His only begotten Son.  This Son pre existed as the Word, Who was with God and was God.  Together with the Holy Spirit they created all that is.  Yet He was willing to give up His position as God to come in the form of a man, and to become that Passover Lamb of God;  He became the sacrifice for the sin of mankind.   it is His blood that He took to the Mercy Seat in heaven.  And to those who receive Him He gave the right to be children of the Living God, born of the Spirit and adopted into the Father's family.  

It is such an incredible story.  It is foolishness to those who are perishing.  But it is the wisdom and power of God to all who believe.  So it never becomes trite.  It is always new and full of wonder, joy and thanksgiving.  It is the true spirit of Christmas that the blinded world cannot grasp.        

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  37

Deidre these are beautiful. :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.36

13 hours ago, *Deidre* said:

lol I don't know why that captured that quote I wonder if when I quoted it in that other thread, if it stayed in 'cue.' I tried to edit it out of this thread, but I don't know how to delete it now. Sorry :b:

I've had the same thing nearly happen to me.  It's tricky deleting a quoted text.  You're right, it is in a queue.  :)

On 2/3/2016 at 11:55 PM, Willa said:

I also noticed that after these temple rites were performed the family returns to their home in Nazareth.   It was there that the Maji, the wise men from the east, found baby Jesus, now a little older.  They followed the star to where He was.  He is no longer referred to in Greek as a fetus or newborn in Matthew.  It is from their home that they must escape during the night to Egypt till this Herod is dead and it was safe to return to Nazareth.  

How precious all life is.  But it is for mankind that God sent His only begotten Son.  This Son pre existed as the Word, Who was with God and was God.  Together with the Holy Spirit they created all that is.  Yet He was willing to give up His position as God to come in the form of a man, and to become that Passover Lamb of God;  He became the sacrifice for the sin of mankind.   it is His blood that He took to the Mercy Seat in heaven.  And to those who receive Him He gave the right to be children of the Living God, born of the Spirit and adopted into the Father's family.  

It is such an incredible story.  It is foolishness to those who are perishing.  But it is the wisdom and power of God to all who believe.  So it never becomes trite.  It is always new and full of wonder, joy and thanksgiving.  It is the true spirit of Christmas that the blinded world cannot grasp.        

Thank you for your thought to this, yes...agree! I was an atheist for a time, I had departed from Christianity for roughly 4 years. I can honestly say now that I've been 'born again,' and in that, I have a newfound understanding of Jesus, and His profound love and role in our lives. Not that I didn't understand it before, but I didn't experience it before. If only everyone would allow themselves the opportunity to follow Jesus, they would see...without a doubt...that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. But, it takes surrendering and following Him. I really like what you posted here. :)

Today's reading. I just love how this website that hosts these reflections, puts together the readings in this order. It is helpful when not knowing how to go about reading the Bible after having a long hiatus like I did. :b:

Lamentations 1, 1 – 7

Something to read

How lonely sits the city 
that once was full of people! 
How like a widow she has become, 
she that was great among the nations! 
She that was a princess among the provinces 
has become a vassal.

She weeps bitterly in the night, 
with tears on her cheeks; 
among all her lovers 
she has no one to comfort her; 
all her friends have dealt treacherously with her, 
they have become her enemies.

Judah has gone into exile with suffering 
and hard servitude; 
she lives now among the nations, 
and finds no resting-place; 
her pursuers have all overtaken her 
in the midst of her distress.

The roads to Zion mourn, 
for no one comes to the festivals; 
all her gates are desolate, 
her priests groan; 
her young girls grieve, 
and her lot is bitter.

Her foes have become the masters, 
her enemies prosper, 
because the Lord has made her suffer 
for the multitude of her transgressions; 
her children have gone away, 
captives before the foe.

From daughter Zion has departed 
all her majesty. 
Her princes have become like stags 
that find no pasture; 
they fled without strength 
before the pursuer.

Jerusalem remembers, 
in the days of her affliction and wandering, 
all the precious things 
that were hers in days of old. 
When her people fell into the hand of the foe, 
and there was no one to help her, 
the foe looked on mocking 
over her downfall.

Something to think about

The Book of Lamentations, sitting firmly in the middle of the prophetic books of the Hebrew Bible, laments the fall of Jerusalem and the beginning of the Babylonian captivity. The Babylonian invasion of Jerusalem lasted from 589 BC until 587 BC.

It left the city devastated, the palace and Temple in ruins, many dead and many others taken as prisoners to Babylon. The bitter aftermath of war included a terrible famine, the loss or exile of loved ones, the challenges of reconstruction and, most of all, a pervasive sense of spiritual abandonment.

The survivors left in Jerusalem feared that God had turned against them or even forgotten them altogether. The five poems that make up the book of Lamentations are an anguished cry by a stricken people expressing the grief and horror of war.

Each poem contains several elements: a series of complaints, a statement of guilt, a cry for God's help and a petition against enemies. But there are none of the statements of praise conventionally found in psalms of lament (eg, Psalm 22) in any of the poems.

Perhaps the burden of their sorrow was so heavy that they could not find any words of praise. Yet this is not a people who have turned altogether from God - their form of lament, which is a public, liturgical voicing of pain, is in itself a cry to God.

Deepening the sense of despair is the use of a dirge, or death wail, used in funerals, in three of the poems. This is not just the death of individuals, or even a city, being mourned - it is the death of a nation.

It is not hard to hear in the poems of Lamentations the voices of the people of Haiti, who have suffered so greatly over more than two centuries, yet still cry out to God - and to us.

Something to do

Look and listen to Christian Aid’s Haiti pages on this website, especially the prayer reflection, and hold these people in your hearts and prayers.http://www.christianaid.org.uk/haiti

Something to pray

O Christ our true peace, 
who felt the desolation of death 
and the fear of abandonment 
deliver us who also recognise the shape of desolation 
and weep.

We pray for the people of Haiti. 
Give us insight to see the structures of injustice by which we profit, 
and grace to cherish all people in our vulnerability, 
knowing that we all live within your love. 
Amen