IGNORED

Are the 7 Heavenly Virtues compatible with Grace?

David Archer

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello.

I have a question concerning the Seven Heavenly Virtues (which Pope John Paul II put forth in 1992 as fundamentals of Catholicism); Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness and Humility.

Can these virtues be applied to the Protestant version of Grace in full? I understand that the concept of Grace is all-inclusive of positive, good things (ie Holy Spirit) - but I would like to understand more of the make-up of the term 'Grace.' 

I am Protestant, but I don't understand much of the Scripture, so would like to know more.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:thumbsup:

The Cardinal Virtues According To The Greek Pagans

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

But God Says It's All Of Jesus

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. John 1:17

And Not Of Man

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

prudence, temperance, courage, justice

Classical Greek philosophers considered the foremost virtues to be prudence, temperance, courage, and justice. Early Christian Church theologians adopted these virtues and considered them to be equally important to all people, whether they were Christian or not. http://www.deadlysins.com/virtues/

~

The Seven Heavenly Virtues According To The Minds Of Men

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6

But God Says It's All Of The Spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

And Not Of Man

(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Ephesians 5:9

faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance, prudence

The Heavenly Virtues combine the four Cardinal Virtues: prudence, temperance, fortitude -- or courage, and justice, with a variation of the theological virtues: faith, hope, and charity. I'm still researching the origins and popular usage of this formulation. http://www.deadlysins.com/virtues/

~

Beloved, Something To Consider

Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 1 Corinthians 5:6

Be Careful Not To Mix And Bake Man's Poison

And one went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and gathered thereof wild gourds his lap full, and came and shred them into the pot of pottage: for they knew them not. So they poured out for the men to eat. And it came to pass, as they were eating of the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O thou man of God, there is death in the pot. And they could not eat thereof. 2 Kings 4:39-40

Into The LORD's Heavenly Bread Meant

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

For The Children

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. Proverbs 30:5-6

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

9 hours ago, David Archer said:

I have a question concerning the Seven Heavenly Virtues (which Pope John Paul II put forth in 1992 as fundamentals of Catholicism); Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness and Humility.

David,

If you are looking for Bible truth, then you must turn to the Bible and not the Pope (who does not represent Bible Christianity). So there are no "seven heavenly virtues" as such in Scripture.  What we do have are (a) nine fruits of the Spirit and (b) nine aspects of maturity for which Christians must strive. There may be some overlap with what the Pope has said, but the Word of God is your final source of truth.  Scripture also says "Be clothed with humility".

NINE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22,23)

NINE ASPECTS OF MATURITY

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:5-8).

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 2/5/2016 at 9:21 PM, Ezra said:

NINE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22,23)

NINE ASPECTS OF MATURITY

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:5-8).

:thumbsup:

Beloved, Them Some Good Eats~!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

Hi, David, and welcome to Worthy!  The virtues you listed are absolutely things that ALL, of all faiths, should aim for.  Not because the Pope said it, but because they are good virtues to aspire to.