• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

13 minutes ago, Shar said:

Peter was writing this around A.D. 62-64, primarily to the Jewish Christians who were driven out of Jerusalem and were scattered throughout Asia Minor.  He parallels the speaking of Israel as a holy nation and kingdom of priests as in Ex.19:5 and De.10:5.

That is historical, not my interpretation.  LOL

Shar, these were written to CHRISTIANS  those in Christ are neither Jew nor Greek.

He did not write those words to Jews, but to Christians.

The letters were addressed to the various churches in Asia Minor, the population of which was predominately gentile.

• 1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus...8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks. (Acts 19:1,8-10)

Tje School of Tyrannus is where Paul went when he was no longer welcome in the synagogue after just 3 short months -  he taught in the secular school for 21 months:

• TYRANNUS (tī-răn'ŭs, Gr. Tyrannos, tyrant). According to a well-supported reading of Acts.19.9, Paul taught daily at Ephesus “in the lecture hall of Tyrannus.” This could indicate a public building traditionally so named or a school founded by Tyrannus. Another common reading, “in the school of one Tyrannus” (kjv), would refer to the school of a living Ephesian schoolmaster named Tyrannus. W. M. Ramsay discusses the question in The Church in the Roman Empire, p. 152, and St. Paul the Traveller and Roman Citizen, p. 271. - See more at: https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/tyrannus#sthash.lsWiVoca.dpuf

There is nothing here to claim Peter wrote only to the Jewish believers in Asia Minor.

If this was addressed to Jews only, the Peter was ignoring the larger population of gentile believers.  On the contrary, this was written to them all, so all believers are a kingdom of priests:

• chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, thereselittleflower said:

Shar, these were written to CHRISTIANS  those in Christ are neither Jew nor Greek.

He did not write those words to Jews, but to Christians.

The letters were addressed to the various churches in Asia Minor, the population of which was predominately gentile.   If this was addressed to Jews only, the Peter was ignoring the larger population of gentile believers.  On the contrary, this was written to them all, so all believers are a kingdom of priests:

Do a true historical study on when it was written to whom.  The early church was primarily Jewish and Peter, specifically in his opening of this letter, addresses those who were scattered abroad throughout Asia Minor.  The church in Jerusalem, primarily Jewish, were those who scattered to avoid the serious persecution that was occurring in Jerusalem at the time.  AD 62-64, was when I Peter was written.

Just now, Shar said:

Do a true historical study on when it was written to whom.  The early church was primarily Jewish and Peter, specifically in his opening of this letter, addresses those who were scattered abroad throughout Asia Minor.  The church in Jerusalem, primarily Jewish, were those who scattered to avoid the serious persecution that was occurring in Jerusalem at the time.  AD 62-64, was when I Peter was written.

Not in Asia Minor Shar.   In Asia Minor the believers were predominately gentiles.   The conversion of the gentiles had exploded by the time Peter wrote that letter.

:)

I added to my post above.  Let me repeat here:

The letters were addressed to the various churches in Asia Minor, the population of which was predominately gentile.

• 1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus...8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks. (Acts 19:1,8-10)

The School of Tyrannus is where Paul went when he was no longer welcome in the synagogue after just 3 short months - he went to the Gentiles - he taught in the gentile, secular school for 21 months:

• TYRANNUS (tī-răn'ŭs, Gr. Tyrannos, tyrant). According to a well-supported reading of Acts.19.9, Paul taught daily at Ephesus “in the lecture hall of Tyrannus.” This could indicate a public building traditionally so named or a school founded by Tyrannus. Another common reading, “in the school of one Tyrannus” (kjv), would refer to the school of a living Ephesian schoolmaster named Tyrannus. W. M. Ramsay discusses the question in The Church in the Roman Empire, p. 152, and St. Paul the Traveller and Roman Citizen, p. 271. - See more at: https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/tyrannus#sthash.lsWiVoca.dpuf

There is nothing here to claim Peter wrote only to the Jewish believers in Asia Minor.

Again, if this was addressed to Jews only, the Peter was ignoring the larger population of gentile believers.  On the contrary, this was written to them all, so all believers are a kingdom of priests:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

6 hours ago, Joline said:

Qnts, are Gentiles included in the priesthood without eating kosher, keeping the seventh day Sabbath, observing or celebrating the feasts ?

If they are then I see no difference between the Apostolic ministry going out to the nations etc. If Gentiles need not keep kosher, rest on the seventh day Sabbath, observe feast days, then we have already been party to this for 2000 years.

I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

First of all, all believers under the New Covenant are called priests.

1 Peter 2:1 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.

And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ

The priesthood of believers is fundamental.

Gentiles need not keep Kosher, but there is a caveat. If what you eat offends another, scripture says to refrain. So, don't bring ham to a pot luck dinner with Jewish people who do keep Kosher.

Resting on the 7th day? The same applies.

Feast days are a different story. The early church did know they were celebrating the feast days brought forward into the New Covenant. And, during the millenium, there are prophesies which state Gentiles will be expected to go up to Jerusalem for Succoth.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, Shar said:

I believe that all believers, are members of the New Covenant priesthood. 

In the message to the 7 churches in Revelation:

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood— and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Rev 5:9And they *sang a new song, saying,

“Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.

10 “You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth.”

• Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,985
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

3 hours ago, Shar said:

Hi Shar,

I agree.  Christ was a Jew, and so were the original twelve disciples.  The Church was born in Jerusalem, not Rome as some believe.  It was the Romans that hijacked His Church and led the world into the dark ages.  They crucified Christ and later killed His disciple's, except John escaped and later penned the book of Revelation.

The RCC claims that Peter was the first Pope, but it was Paul that was called to preach to the Gentiles.  Peter was told to feed Christ' sheep (Israel).   The holy nation is referring to Israel, and Peter was addressing the Jews who had been scattered.

Gentiles (wild olive branch) are grafted into the natural olive tree (Israel).

Romans 11:11-24
I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid! But through their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, to make them jealous. 12 Now if their transgression means riches for the world, and their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fullness mean?

13 For I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if somehow I may make my kinsmen jealous and may save some of them. 15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? 16 If the first portion of the dough is holy, the batch is also holy. And if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among them and became a partaker with them of the root and richness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. If you boast, remember you do not sustain the root, but the root sustains you. 19 You will say then, “The branches were broken off, so that I might be grafted in.” 20 This is correct. They were broken off because of unbelief, but you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you.

22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God—severity toward those who fell, but goodness toward you, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23 And these also, if they do not remain in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Cheers

2 hours ago, rollinTHUNDER said:

it was Paul that was called to preach to the Gentiles.  Peter was told to feed Christ' sheep (Israel).   The holy nation is referring to Israel, and Peter was addressing the Jews who had been scattered.

rollinThunder, Peter was called to go to the Gentiles before Paul was.   And Paul went to the Jews everywhere he went, going straight to the synagogue.   They BOTH went to BOTH Jew and Gentile.

10 hours ago, thereselittleflower said:

I am Not in Asia Minor Shar.   In Asia Minor the believers were predominately gentiles.   The conversion of the gentiles had exploded by the time Peter wrote that letter.

:)

I added to my post above.  Let me repeat here:

The letters were addressed to the various churches in Asia Minor, the population of which was predominately gentile.

• 1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus...8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks. (Acts 19:1,8-10)

The School of Tyrannus is where Paul went when he was no longer welcome in the synagogue after just 3 short months - he went to the Gentiles - he taught in the gentile, secular school for 21 months:

• TYRANNUS (tī-răn'ŭs, Gr. Tyrannos, tyrant). According to a well-supported reading of Acts.19.9, Paul taught daily at Ephesus “in the lecture hall of Tyrannus.” This could indicate a public building traditionally so named or a school founded by Tyrannus. Another common reading, “in the school of one Tyrannus” (kjv), would refer to the school of a living Ephesian schoolmaster named Tyrannus. W. M. Ramsay discusses the question in The Church in the Roman Empire, p. 152, and St. Paul the Traveller and Roman Citizen, p. 271. - See more at: https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/tyrannus#sthash.lsWiVoca.dpuf

Again, if this was addressed to Jews only, the Peter was ignoring the larger population of gentile believers.  On the contrary, this was written to them all, so all believers are a kingdom of priests:

Therese, I am not really disputing we are not a priesthood.  That is very evident in several verses quoted in Revelation. 

As far as the churches, those particularly named in Peter's First Epistle were in Asia Minor.  The churches you are referencing were not named in the letter.  The ones you named here may have not been.

7 hours ago, Qnts2 said:

I believe that all believers, are members of the New Covenant priesthood. 

In the message to the 7 churches in Revelation:

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood— and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Rev 5:9And they *sang a new song, saying,

“Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.

10 “You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth.”

Qnts2, I agree they are a kingdom of priests.  That is evident in quotes within Revelation.  I was just speaking about I Pe. that LittleFlower was quoting and speaking about the context in which he was speaking.  I was referencing his address to Jewish Christians that fled Jerusalem and were scattered aboard, at that particular time in history.

7 hours ago, rollinTHUNDER said:

Hi Shar,

I agree.  Christ was a Jew, and so were the original twelve disciples.  The Church was born in Jerusalem, not Rome as some believe.  It was the Romans that hijacked His Church and led the world into the dark ages.  They crucified Christ and later killed His disciple's, except John escaped and later penned the book of Revelation.

The RCC claims that Peter was the first Pope, but it was Paul that was called to preach to the Gentiles.  Peter was told to feed Christ' sheep (Israel).   The holy nation is referring to Israel, and Peter was addressing the Jews who had been scattered.

Gentiles (wild olive branch) are grafted into the natural olive tree (Israel).

Romans 11:11-24
I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid! But through their transgression salvation has come to the Gentiles, to make them jealous. 12 Now if their transgression means riches for the world, and their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their fullness mean?

13 For I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if somehow I may make my kinsmen jealous and may save some of them. 15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? 16 If the first portion of the dough is holy, the batch is also holy. And if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among them and became a partaker with them of the root and richness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. If you boast, remember you do not sustain the root, but the root sustains you. 19 You will say then, “The branches were broken off, so that I might be grafted in.” 20 This is correct. They were broken off because of unbelief, but you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you.

22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God—severity toward those who fell, but goodness toward you, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23 And these also, if they do not remain in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Cheers

I agree, rollinTHUNDER!