• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

5 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

The Greek word tachu can be interpreted as quickly/speedily/suddenly. It does not necessarily mean imminently. In the context of the Lord's Coming, it means that when he does come, he won't lollygag around.

The first century Church (including Paul, Peter, James, and John) all expected the Lord's coming to be in their day. But the Lord never told them that; what he did tell them is "It is not for you to know the times or season..." Acts 1:7 Peter finally figured it out just before he was martyred, saying,

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

2 peter 3 is completely clear that He is speaking about the day the earth is completely destroyed with fire rev 20: 9-and the promise of God for a new heaven and earth rev 21.

1 The revelation of[a] Jesus Christ that God gave Him to show His slaves what must quickly (soon) take place. He sent it and signified it[c] through His angel to His slave John, 2 who testified to God’s word and to the testimony[d] about Jesus Christ, in all he saw.[e] 3 The one who reads this is blessed, and those who hear the words of this prophecy and keep[f]what is written in it are blessed, because the time is near.

He instructed him to write letters to present churches with correction and promises for the new world in rev 20.

After he wrote down the warnings and promises given to him by the Lord to write to the church a door opened in heaven.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,103
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

3 hours ago, Reinitin said:

2 peter 3 is completely clear that He is speaking about the day the earth is completely destroyed with fire rev 20: 9-and the promise of God for a new heaven and earth rev 21.

Hardly. Peter told us exactly what event he was talking about:

2 Peter 2:3 ...scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? ... 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us... [etc.]

3 hours ago, Reinitin said:

1 The revelation of Jesus Christ that God gave Him to show His slaves what must quickly (soon) take place. He sent it and signified it through His angel to His slave John, 2 who testified to God’s word and to the testimony about Jesus Christ, in all he saw. 3 The one who reads this is blessed, and those who hear the words of this prophecy and keep what is written in it are blessed, because the time is near.

And who wrote this preface? John. Did John EVER quote Jesus as saying "the time is near for my coming"? No. Jesus told them, as I quoted above, that IT WAS NOT FOR THEM TO KNOW EITHER THE TIMES NOR THE SEASON OF HIS COMING.

However, the time was near indeed for the things of the letters to the 7 churches. But only for those "things that are present" in John's day.

4 hours ago, Reinitin said:

He instructed him to write letters to present churches with correction and promises for the new world in rev 20.

You have provided absolutely no evidence for this. And if what you say is true, then when did every island and mountain move out of its place? When did the birds eat the flesh of kings and horses after the descending Christ and heavenly army slew them? And so on and so on. Hasn't happened yet, still to be fulfilled.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

neither have you..lol I think some of it has already happened like the seals and most of the trumpets. some people say we are past some of the bowls. I don't know for sure. I'm just saying it depends on when John wrote the book.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

There is no way that any of the seals,bowls or trumpets have already happened. They will kill off most the people on the Earth. As far as I know there are still a lot of us here.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

20 hours ago, Jonah'sJourney said:

First of all, this question has to do with the futurist interpretation of Revelation, not the preterist or historicist views, so please do not respond according to how those other views interpret the book. :)

Although futurists tend to see the book of Revelation as largely concerning future events, some passages are still often seen as pertaining to past events or issues, such as chapters 1-3 (Christ speaking to John, and the spiritual condition of the seven historical churches themselves), or 12:1-5 (pertaining to the birth/ascension of Christ).

My question is, other than those two places, where else does the book of Revelation refer to (or pertain to) past events or occurrences (i.e, things that had/have already happened). Put your thinking caps on :D

You must be post trib?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

No, I'm not post trib. I think that Rev. chpts 4-22 are future, but some people (and even most futurist commentators) think there are some past things mixed in with it, like in 12:1-5 (which they interpret as the birth and ascension of Christ). I'm just seeing if anyone sees other things in chpts 4-22 that don't refer to strictly still-future events. Rev 5:6 is also sometimes mentioned as referring to a past event (the death/crucifixion of the lamb).