• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I heard that Sears and 13 major retail stores are closing. Is that true. Are more stores closing. I thought the economy was getting better. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/21/1945

People are now buying a lot of things on the internet. I use amazon a lot to buy things even groceries and since i can get things mostly postage free, I figure it is the best way to shop for many things. That could be the reason a lot of stores are closing. Amazon is starting to replace stores like wal-mart. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I use Amazon a lot as well. I have heard that is the reason that many stores are closing.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I have read that the stores which are stuggling are the old fashioned department stores.

Sears has already sold off some of it's assets, other brandings like Kmart is owned by Sears, which it had bought over the years. I recently read the Kohl's is some closing stores also. I think it was Macy's which is bringing back the department store restaurant which used to be very popular, to keep people in the store. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, Qnts2 said:

I have read that the stores which are stuggling are the old fashioned department stores.

Sears has already sold off some of it's assets, other brandings like Kmart is owned by Sears, which it had bought over the years. I recently read the Kohl's is some closing stores also. I think it was Macy's which is bringing back the department store restaurant which used to be very popular, to keep people in the store. 

I remember the department store restaurant. When I was a little girl my mom would take me to lunch downtown at the Meier and Frank restaurant which was pretty nice. Then we would go to a movie. Meier and Frank has since become Macy's. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Wow that was before tv :o 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I never understood mail-ordering things when I could just go right to the store, buy them, and have them right away instead of waiting for the items to be sent to me. So buying things from the internet has no appeal to me either. I only order a thing if I can't find it at all locally - and believe me, I will search for it locally for a loooong time before I'll ever order it online.

Brick-and-mortar stores must love me.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

it used to be that if you needed something you could almost always find it at Walmart.....   my last three trips to Walmart to purchase things that i had gotten their before turned out with me empty handed when I left.....   and when I checked on line it was cheaper from Amazon than Walmart and with Amazon Prime almost everything I get shipped two day delivery free.    My son lives in Arlington Texas and he gets free 2.5 hour delivery at his home for things in the warehouse.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

37 minutes ago, sheya joie said:

I never understood mail-ordering things when I could just go right to the store, buy them, and have them right away instead of waiting for the items to be sent to me. So buying things from the internet has no appeal to me either. I only order a thing if I can't find it at all locally - and believe me, I will search for it locally for a loooong time before I'll ever order it online.

Brick-and-mortar stores must love me.

well, to a point yes. Some things I prefer going into a store for, others, I dont, or cant. I run a small computer shop out of my home, and I do a lot of computer building, and I need specialty parts and stuff like that that I simply can't get in town. We have a few computer shops in town, that do sell parts, but theyre rarely the brands I like to use, and are usually priced far higher. With my guns, again it varies-if its something that I can do myself, like a stock or a scope or other accessory, id rather buy them in a store, but a lot of our local sporting goods stores DONT carry them, and sometimes even your bigger stores like cabelas dont even carry what I need. If its something that needs machined, then I take it local, and I rarely order ammo online, I dont like waiting a week to get ammo in. Even my reloading stuff I start in town, but since Im now firing so many oddball cartridges, ive had to order online to get what I need.

Quite frankly, a lot of stores like sears, just cant keep up with online and wal-mart. Wal-marts done a good job of marketing both online and in store, even offering things online you cant get in store, and offering free shipping if you pick up in store (which encourages people to spend more because they might see another product they like on their way back to the pickup counter) while Sears and stores like it, are in essence playing catch up, and its not working out for them.