The cross is my codeine

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2

I recently had a persistent cough that lasted more than 10 days and fever , so yesterday the doctor prescribed me codeine cough syrup, and I used more than I should have.

While it was taking place I didn't see it as a relapse , just as myself using a prescription while knowing the dosage that would more effectively treat the symptoms.

Hours after the incident , I realized it was a relapse, because it was the abuse of a controlled substance.

Today, March 3rd , would have been my year anniversary of sobriety. I was one day away. :( there is no way that is coincidence. 

I had a limited understanding of what addiction and relapse meant , because I always considered a relapse when a person goes and purchases a chemical with the intent to get high, whose primary motive for the use is to get high.

But the lesson learned from here is that relapse is also to abuse a chemical that is prescribed , even if the primary motive is to remove aches , pains, chills, coughing, or whatever the affliction is.

The best medication is to take as little medication as possible.  The cross is good medicine.  The more drugs or other methods we used to make the crosses go away only leads to more suffering in the end, because we can make the suffering go away only briefly, it will always come back.

So, if we do not run from the cross , our tolerance to the suffering, and our coping skills within the suffering grows , so that what is unbearable becomes bearable.

Plus, our Lord did say that if we wish to be his disciples, we must deny ourselves and carry our cross daily.  A cross is something a person suffers and dies on.  It isn't supposed to be enjoyable.

The cross is good medicine and a good teacher and builds character , endurance, and perseverance.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

30 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

because we can make the suffering go away only briefly, it will always come back.

not always.  

find out what great grandparents were allowed to do. 

7 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

not always.  

find out what great grandparents were allowed to do. 

Leave their bodies behind?

((leaving work this moment))...  quickly - suffering doesn't usually have to continue ((sickness))... will be back  shortly, Yahweh willing.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/08/1973

53 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

Today, March 3rd , would have been my year anniversary of sobriety. I was one day away. :( there is no way that is coincidence. 

truth shall set you free

i had to understand that, to get free for good from something. 

answers are in you, so seek question - why you do that. that very root of yours addiction. when you find right question and right answer - truth - you will be free of it.

Edited by Eha

4 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

because we can make the suffering go away only briefly, it will always come back.

not always.   free will.   choice.    where you look.   Yahweh's choice.   all makes a differenc e.

Thank you.

also to clear up what I was saying in the post about suffering always coming back, I was speaking that life is full of suffering and in the end many of us will become ill , have many injuries and disabilities, suffer and die, so if we increase our tolerance to suffering rather than push suffering away, we also learn many coping skills that in the end make suffering more bearable.

The more we try to avoid suffering or mask it with drugs or other methods of running away, the more suffering we will have in the end.

But yes, eventually after we leave our bodies behind , the suffering will go away and never come back.